Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
I use Mobile Full Synthetic 4T 10W-40. It's worked great for me so far. Mine is a 2001.

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
5w40 is too thin. The viscosity modifiers cannot withstand the shearing caused by the shared bath transmission. Your oil will perform worse than a 20 wt in short order as a result. Drain that crap out and put in the recommended oil. 10w40 or better. JASO Ma or MA2 preferrably. Brand is immaterial.

Reactions: moenko and 10-64

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i use rotella, but its because whale oil is too expensive

·
Registered
452 Posts
10w40 or better. JASO Ma or MA2 preferrably. Brand is immaterial.
^^^
+1
Use the manufacturer's oil spec, change it at the required interval, make sure the oil level is between the lines before every ride, and you will never have an oil related failure. The rest is just advertising hype.

Good hunting

Reactions: smac2

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Castrol 4T is a great oil. I have used it and still use in in my bikes that do not specifically require Synthetic oil. I use 10-40 or 20-50, which ever my local store is carrying that week or has on special. In an aircooled engine, I prefer 20-50 when I can get it, for watercooled bikes like the Suzuki, any quality multigrade will work.

I used Castrol 4T in my Honda, C50, Vstrom, BMW airheads, Triumph, older Harleys and my sportster. I change at 3000 or one year, which ever comes first for that bike. My main ride gets changed several times a year, the specialty rides usually just once a year.

I generally try and use the same oil, brand and model, even if the viscosity is different. I other words, I do not shop other brands. Once I start using Castrol 4T on a bike, that is all I use while I own it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Rotella 15w40.

Avoid the Valvoline V-twin dino oil they sell at Advance Auto. I tried it on my first oil change and it caused problems with downshifting. Drained that crap after a few hundred miles and replaced with Rotella and she shifts like butta now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rotella 15w40. all 67000 miles worth so far :wayhappy:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yea another oil thread, I'll get the canola oil and butter who's getting the popcorn???

+1 on the Rotella 15-40

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
hey guys got a 2004 vl800 im currently got castrol 4t 5-40 in her and want to know how goood that is or is there anything better?
The only Castrol 4T oil viscosities I've been able to locate are the 10w40 and the 20w50.....

Both are good choices depending on your seasonal climate .....though not the choice of everyone..... :)

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
5w40 is too thin. The viscosity modifiers cannot withstand the shearing caused by the shared bath transmission. Your oil will perform worse than a 20 wt in short order as a result. Drain that crap out and put in the recommended oil. 10w40 or better. JASO Ma or MA2 preferrably. Brand is immaterial.
Straight weight oils do not have the problems associated with viscosity modifiers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.