Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a good quality, very well ventilated mesh jacket for summer riding. I'm ATGAT kinda guy... I also wear Helite Turtle Airbag Vest

Premium Member
Good for you with the ATGATT. May you never need it.

I have two mesh jackets, both by Joe Rocket. Can鈥檛 tell you the first model I bought, but it was impressive enough last season that when I wanted another for my vacation home, I just bought a second one. This one was a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0. A little nicer than my first one and priced that way. ($185) Good quality, nice design with plenty of pockets and adjustments. Quality armor and a convenient zip out liner that is both waterproof and wind proof. I usually take the liner out and keep it rolled up in my saddlebags. When it gets a bit nippy, out comes the liner, a neck gator and the full leather gloves. (I wear TourMaster mesh gloves on a daily basis)

Check the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket out. Try it on before you buy anything, because each manufacturer is different.

Good luck and ride safe!

Attachments

Super Moderator
I have a Tourmaster Intake 2 jacket that works rather well. The funny thing is that I use Joe Rocket gloves.

Premium Member
Love the fishnet mesh look, but it鈥檚 really hard to hide the armor pads. (The first one looks like she doesn鈥檛 need any in the rear area anyway). LOL.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for recommendation. I looked at joe rocket phoenix 5: all is well, but there is a bit too much mesh in high-impact areas: shoulders, tops of arms. Maybe I鈥檒l go a step higher and get joe rocket ion jacket: it looks like it has slightly more armored material in those areas. It is also on sale right now for around $180.

Registered
The one thing I will never skimp on to save a buck is safety gear.

My daughter was wearing an Olympia Motosport jacket last summer when she crashed her bike. The shell was shredded, but she was unhurt by the impact, or the slide down the highway. Ironically, I was wearing an Olympia Motosport jacket when I wrecked in the highway in 2009. Having been crash tested twice, they come highly recommended by our household..

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
The one thing I will never skimp on to save a buck is safety gear.

My daughter was wearing an Olympia Motosport jacket last summer when she crashed her bike. The shell was shredded, but she was unhurt by the impact, or the slide down the highway. Ironically, I was wearing an Olympia Motosport jacket when I wrecked in the highway in 2009. Having been crash tested twice, they come highly recommended by our household..
Glad everyone is alright! Which model jacket was that?

Registered
I had the original Switchback. My daughter had the Airglide 5. Both performed superbly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
After some research, I did narrow my list down to Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion, and Olympia Switchback 2 / Bradley or Rev'IT! Airwave 2. All three jackets sell approximately in the same price-range (+/- $30).
I normally wear size Large jackets, but had to go for XL in Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 jacket so I could layer-up for winter riding and have long-enough sleeves. I rode in NYC and try-state area from September 2018 through the whole winter in this jacket (except the harshest days), layering-up/down, and jacket performed well for $130 that I paid (found a deal @ Revzilla.com). Note: Atomic 5.0 is not water-resistant (regardless of the claims).

As I said, I normally wear jackets in L, but need longer selves, and found that L-tall fits me best according to various size charts. Joe Rocket happened to be the only one of the three that makes L-tall in the color I would prefer for the heat of the summer riding (silver), so I pulled the trigger an ordered Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion Silver from Revzilla.com for $179+tax and free shipping. It also seems to have the most mesh panels, especially around shoulders and back, which will help to push air in the areas that will have limited ventilation due to Helite Turtle Airbag vest.

I don't expect this jacket to perform miracles for $200, and be ultra-comfortable, but should be decent enough jacket with some adjustments, comfort touches as well as keep me warm on cooler mornings, and nice and cool in the heat of the day. If the jacket doesn't fit, I'll have to go back to drawing board, maybe plan a day-trip to Revzilla store to try a bunch of different brands in person.

Registered
For hot summers here, I look for a light color mesh pants and jacket - sand or white. I almost look like an astronaut in my 95F degree gear but I figure people see me and I stay cool. A must for me: Frogg Togg chilly dana on my head. Wet it down and wear it to change the felt temperature by 15 or more degrees. A plus, the wet bandana doesn't make your head wet (any wetter than the sweat would). Also, I use a white helmet with lots of airflow (that kind of works behind the big windshield).

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
For hot summers here, I look for a light color mesh pants and jacket - sand or white. I almost look like an astronaut in my 95F degree gear but I figure people see me and I stay cool. A must for me: Frogg Togg chilly dana on my head. Wet it down and wear it to change the felt temperature by 15 or more degrees. A plus, the wet bandana doesn't make your head wet (any wetter than the sweat would). Also, I use a white helmet with lots of airflow (that kind of works behind the big windshield).
Hi, thank you for advise! I'll pick up a chilly dana when it gets scorching hot around here.
I have Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion pants in black (not crazy about fit). This will do for now, but eventually I'll get something more fitted to my long skinny legs :)
I have Scorpion EXO-T510 Fury Helmet in white/silver graphics. It works, not perfect, but OK for first helmet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts