Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has the best air filter and pricing for the 2007 C50 ?

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Are you looking for a replacement for the stock element or an aftermarket assembly/system to install instead of the stock housing?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you looking for a replacement for the stock element or an aftermarket assembly/system to install instead of the stock housing?
Replacement. What about K&N and how do you clean it?
Thanks

·
Registered
19,598 Posts
Do NOT get a K&N. Period.

They are absolute junk and worthless for their intended purpose, that is to FILTER the incoming air.

Any advantage you may think you are getting by having a re-usable filter or any additional power you may squeeze out of the engine will be offset by the amount of dirt the filter will let past the element and into your intake/combustion chamber.

I will have to dig around to see if I can find the pic I took of my intake after 6 months with a K&N in place. It looked like a lifetime 2 pack a day smoker's lungs.

·
Super Moderator
58,041 Posts
If the K&N Filter looks like a lifetime smoker of two packs a day in 6 months like you said that means that the K&N Filter is doing its job.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
If the K&N Filter looks like a lifetime smoker of two packs a day in 6 months like you said that means that the K&N Filter is doing its job.
No, he's saying the intake looked bad. I do have a K&N on mine, came with the bike, and have used them over the years on other engines. If you take the time to clean them properly, allow them to dry properly, and treat them with the oily spray properly they work just as well as any filter. The problem is, most people don't want to do all that and stock paper filters do an adequate job. These are street bikes, most will never run down a dusty road.
My recommendation, buy a stock filter and change it annually.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
What do you mean no? If the filter is dirty it's working.
I believe that the reference was intended to mean that dirt was getting through/past the K&N filter and coating the intake manifold. That would indicate that dirt was entering the cylinder to cause premature wear.

ALSO, it is common, if not normal for the oil treatment applied to the K&N filter to coat the inside of the intake indicating a drying of the filter membrane... and an accompanying loss in dirt removing efficiency. It could also be that too much oil was applied during service....

Unless you are willing to monitor, clean and re-oil the K&N filter atleast every oil change DON'T GET ONE....

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I used a K&N filter for the entire life of my bike. 80k miles. Cleaned it on a regular basis. Cleaned it with the recommend cleaner, let dry, applied the recommended filter oil, let it dry. Reinstalled it and rode it all day, all week, all year.

Rv

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I had a '02 Volusia that I owned for 9 years.
Never changed the air filter.
Couple times a year, when doing maintenance, would take the filter out and with compressed air, blow through the filter, inside to outside.
Bike ran like a top, and if I still owned it, would probably have the same air filter today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts