Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been kicking aroung the idea of adding a LED turn signal strip to my Batwing. I found a 11 inch flexible switchback strip (amber white) that would work nicely. The batwing is 22 inches from side to side (top of batwing). Stealing the idea from the pic posted below.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after much contemplation, I stuck with the cheap route. Chose the Blinker Genie due to the fact I wanted the lights to turn completely off during the blinling process (not dim to bright)

1. 2x 5055 Strips from Autozone
2. 2x Blinker Genies from CustomLED

** Lights will not flash in unison with the lollipops (unless you convert to LED and run all front lights off of the Blinker Genie)

Here is a video clip.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Well after much contemplation, I stuck with the cheap route. Chose the Blinker Genie due to the fact I wanted the lights to turn completely off during the blinling process (not dim to bright)

1. 2x 5055 Strips from Autozone
2. 2x Blinker Genies from CustomLED

** Lights will not flash in unison with the lollipops (unless you convert to LED and run all front lights off of the Blinker Genie)

Here is a video clip.

Blinker Genie w/ Batwing LED - YouTube
If you don't want the dim function then get the blinker genie out of the circuit and they should flash in unison.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Here its gotta be yellow/amber for blinkers or they won't pass inspection on the front...

·
Super Moderator
25,151 Posts
Here its gotta be yellow/amber for blinkers or they won't pass inspection on the front...
That's not an issue with this design. The law may say that you have to have yellow/amber blinkers, but it doesn't say you can't have others, right? He's still got the factory lollipops on there, so he'd be in compliance with the law.

Also, I know nothing of NC laws, but most states may designate color if present, but don't require blinkers even be present on a motorcycle. That's what have signals are for. We all know that no one sees our blinkers anyway, right?!

:eek:utcold:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
The big issue that I could see is most states forbid strobe or flashing lights. Since they are not amber they couldn't be claimed as a turn signal, and would then fall under the strobe light category. I run blue/white solid color LED for ground effects and engine lights, which are illegal in Iowa, but have yet to have a problem in 2 years. If I did the same setup as this I doubt I could go a week without a ticket.

Well done mod, certainly not knocking OP down, would just use amber wired to the flash if it was my own bike.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
No issues here in Georgia. I checked with the GA Dept of Public Safety before my install. Now --> strobing white lights is another story..

Really neat looking mod. Well done.:wayhappy: I like the video really shows what your mod can do.
Smart move to check with the state before you did the mod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts