Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last battery came from Oriely's.
It's just short of a year old, and isn't holding a good charge.

Calling around and talking to some places, it appears that no one makes a decent battery with more than 1 year warranty.
Hard to believe.

·
Super Moderator
21,098 Posts
I remember when appliances lasted forever...guess not such a good idea for the companies that make them tho...no need to buy a new one...surprised it took the battery companies so long to figure that out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The battery in my wifes 1980 Toyota Celica lasted 11 years,not a word of English on it. The battery in my 2005 C50 lasted 9 years. Battery tenders make a difference.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember when appliances lasted forever...guess not such a good idea for the companies that make them tho...no need to buy a new one...surprised it took the battery companies so long to figure that out.
It's rather sad to have to buy batteries almost as often as changing oil.
I'm going to have to go look at what's in my vic.
I've had it at least two years, and never changed the battery nor had it on a battery tender.
It's sat for the last 6 months, fired right up the other day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not using the bike so much at the moment, as we have had a five mile lockdown here, so have been hooking the battery up to an optimiser, also do this when the weather changes, as cold conditions drains batteries so I hear, as do alarm systems.
Not had any problems since doing this.

·
Super Moderator
21,098 Posts
was surprised at how long the OEM battery lasted on my 04 Volusia...almost 6 years...when I went to a c90, friend here recommended a G-Batt...been pleased with that battery as well. I do keep it on a tender november thru april.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think the only battery I replaced in a bike was my 82 GS 750 T Battery was who knows how old at the time. I had some Stator issues with it (a known weak area) on those bikes. I've since had a 2005 C50 and new year old 2009 C50 and didn't replace either battery while I owned them. The 2009 Road star had the original battery when I traded it in on the FJR in Sept 2017. I don't think I will get as long with the FJR as I neglected to hook it up to the tender until late into the winter one year. The battery dropped to about 8 volts. Much more electronics parasitic draw on it than the previous bikes. Battery is holding up so far. I may reassess the battery in the spring next year if I should try it another season or preemptively replace it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
On my 02 Volusia I was replacing the battery every 2 years. On my second to last battery change the place I bought it from recommended a battery tender since my commutes to work was less than 2 miles they figured the battery wasn’t getting enough juice pumped back into it. 2 years later I still had to change the battery......
I’m curious to see if that trend will change on my 06 C50.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine is an 06 Jerry. My battery has been on for ages. I can't ever remember changing it to be honest. I keep the terminals clean and covered in vaseline to stop corrosion, and the only problem I've had is the starter connection. I have no extra electrical gizmos on the bike though.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
It might have something to do with where we live out here in the Wild West Joe. Batteries don't seem to last as long in the high heat in either cars or bikes, if not used regularly. Neighbor has a mid-90's Ford F250 with the 6.7L diesel that has 2 huge batteries and that he doesn't use regularly. He says he gets about 12-18 months out of a set.(doesn't use a trickle charger). I keep my bike and car on battery tenders when I'm going to be away for any length of time. Never have had an issue, but then again, I have them garages also, so they are not baking in the AZ heat.

·
Super Moderator
21,098 Posts
I think the only battery I replaced in a bike was my 82 GS 750 T Battery was who knows how old at the time. I had some Stator issues with it (a known weak area) on those bikes. I've since had a 2005 C50 and new year old 2009 C50 and didn't replace either battery while I owned them. The 2009 Road star had the original battery when I traded it in on the FJR in Sept 2017. I don't think I will get as long with the FJR as I neglected to hook it up to the tender until late into the winter one year. The battery dropped to about 8 volts. Much more electronics parasitic draw on it than the previous bikes. Battery is holding up so far. I may reassess the battery in the spring next year if I should try it another season or preemptively replace it.
for the price of a new battery and the reassurance its one last thing you have to worry about, I'd make the investment and just be done with it...nothing worse than being in the middle of nowhere and hitting the starter and nothing due to a battery one contemplated replacing and held off.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
I bought a new battery for my bike 2 years ago because the other one that worked fine was 5 years old.

·
Administrator
52,982 Posts
I usually solder a bunch of D alkaline batteries together.

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
I got almost 8 years out of the OEM battery that was in my 1500 Kawi Classic......

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I took it back to Oriely's.
The guy said, Hey this might still be under warranty!!!

He looked it up, and said, missed it by a month.

Ain't that just the way death clocks work?:mad:

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
21,098 Posts
still alive & kickin huh....could have been worse.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Battery should NOT go bad 1 year after purchase. C50 and C90 have been known to have charging issue. Actually, faulty voltage regulator is one that blame for not charging enough. I posted 5 years ago about charging issue. Blogger kept pointing to replace battery. I kept pointing Voltage Regulator. Guess what!! I won the "debate". What I did was to order voltage regulator which was NOT of OEM. I bought Voltage regulator which have 5 wires contrast to OEM 7 wires (5 wires on voltage regulator which are 3 wires input from Alternator and 2 wires output (+) and (-) while OEM have two each (+) and (-) output). 5 wires VR appears the same as OEM BUT it have two wires which are (+) and (-) (simple setup)... (C50 and C90 have two positives and two negatives). I cut the attached jack from two postitives and two negatives then pair two (+) and two (-) together and crimp with male crimps and 3 wires from Alternator goes to 3 wires input (3 yellow wires) of Voltage Regulator and two output connects to (+) and (-). Fired up engine and Yeeahhh!!!:LOL:(y):cool::cool: Headlight, all lights are brighter than before and it's charging battery at 14.5v. It's been like that for 5 years with same battery. No issue!!

Anyone who tried to debate me that battery would explode or dry out and replace battery often. That's COMPLETE B.S!!!! Charging voltage on all vehicles, motocycles, riding mowers, ATV all should be at least 14.5 volts, no more than that. If your bike charging 12.50 to 13.50, you are slowly killing the battery (My vol used to dim when throttle up and was killing battery slowly, had to put it in float charger overnight)... Hey! I studied Electronics and I'm Maintenance Mechanics repairing forklifts, tugs, riders, electric golf carts, and all Industrial equipments at company. So don't argue with me. Trust me!

During winter or if you are not using bike for long time, BE SURE TO USE FLOAT Charger!!! In that way it'll keep it charged and ready when you going to use bike. I use Harbor Freight 4A Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer
This one is very good!
:cool::cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts