Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally thinking I wanted a clear windshield like a Memphis shade or a National 2 Up, but the more I check other bikes out, I'm starting to think maybe a Batwing would be the better way to go. Any input from you guys and gals would be greatly appreciated. Any concerns about one or the other.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've ridden with both, a Memphis Shades windshield and a batwing. For me the batwing was the better choice. Behind the windshield, there was too much helmet buffeting. I tried adding a set of lowers, but there was little improvement. I currently ride with a batwing with a chopped windshield.

see post 4 ---> http://www.volusiariders.com/50-swap-meet/259210-batwing-windshield.html

The windshield is chopped to about 3" high, so it's more of an accent strip. The fairing keeps the wind off my chest at highway speeds, but I'm not looking through anything extra. Two other nice benefits are; during colder weather the fairing keeps the wind blast off my hands, and I can tuck my GPS under the fairing making it easier to see on sunny days.

My decision to go with a fairing over a clear windshield was primarily for safety. My helmet bounced around so much while behind a windshield, I was not able to see.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
fairing

The fairing will be a better choice. I have a stock windshield with lowers and my comfort level is very good, but the idea of getting my hands out of the wind is my next move. the fairing will also protect your fingers from rocks and bugs.

A lot of the problems with buffeting behind a windshield is caused by wind coming UNDER the windshield and lowers can really reduce that. I am budgeting to get a batwing with lowers this summer and get the bike painted next winter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I switched to the MS batwing from the oem windshield , big difference.
More coverage and with the proper height windshield it's great.
Next to no buffeting at all

·
Super Moderator
25,189 Posts
No contest, if you can afford the batwing, get it. I've got a 2-up with lowers and am happy with it, but I'd be a lot happier if someone convinced my wife to let me buy a fairing! :moneyeyes:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I have that problem too. Wife who controls the check book. Guess if it wasn't for her I'ld be broke. What should a guy expect to pay for a fairing and mounts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts