Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of bar-end mirrors, they recently arrived, but I cannot get them to expand in the handlebars. The expandable sleeves seem like they are just strong enough to avoid the conical nut to be screwed down and make them expand. So, instead, the assembly just spins when I try to tighten the screw/bolt for them. There is a 7/8" sleeve and then another one that goes on top that makes it 1". The extra sleeve is thicker and I think that's why it is so hard to expand. The first set of mirrors I got the wrong size, 7/8" only, and that sleeve expanded easily. It was the same material and design as the ones I have now.

I tried using vise-grips to hold the conical nut so I could get the expansion started, which worked to a degree. However, at this point, it's just difficult to tighten any more and the nut is getting pretty marred (I used pliers first which eventually slipped...).

I thought about possibly heating the sleeves up with a small butane torch, to make them easier to expand, but I want to make sure that won't mess the metal up. I believe it is aluminum. Ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got them installed finally.

I ended up using the stock bar-end rubber piece with the nut on it instead of the expanding sleeves that came with the mirrors. Somehow the threading on the nut matched the bolt for the mirrors - way easier than trying to make those expanding sleeves work.

I'll post pics if I remember to take some next time I am out. Looks a lot better, vision is better than stock, and they don't vibrate even remotely as much as the stock ones did so you can actually see things. Bonus, I'm able to see while backing up between the two cars in my driveway now which makes leaving the house *much* easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.