Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though there are many after market systems available, I have not found one that is either exactly what I am looking for or can afford. Soooo that leads me to thoughts of modifying the stock system. I am looking at a pair of 27" long "dago-fishtails" that are approx. 2 7/8" in diameter and mating them up to the stock head pipes. These mufflers are 1 3/4" inlet so I obviously have to make some sort of adapter, probably machine out of aluminum.
My question concerns the balance pipe on the stock system which joins the two mufflers together. I believe that all the aftermarket systems(with the exception of the road house) do not have a balance pipe. Is that correct?
I can cut the stock pipe out and weld it up and then should Be able to mate the system to the new mufflers. Is there anything con about eliminating the balance pipe? Will this effect the injection processor? Any suggestions?
thanks!

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I don't think that the crossover tube really matters to much. I put 2" glass packs into my stock muffler shells. If you're going to use some aftermarket mufflers just go to a muffler shop and have them make you an adapter to fit from the stock pipe to whatever the new muffler has. (They can do some real neat things with those machines) I was going to use a set of HD stock tapered mufflers (I like the look-1 3/4" inlet), but like everything that says "HD" they wanted to much green.

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
That crossover is mostly for scavenging because of the difference in lengths of the pipes. You can safely eliminate it if you want. The difference in power loss or power gain is so minimal you'll never notice the difference one way or the other.
I wouldn't use aluminum for for that adapter mount. I used a regular piece of 1 3/4" pipe welded to the stock 1 1/8" and slid the mufflers them. I ended up welding my mufflers in lace when I did that mod but also had nice heat shields to cover that weld when I was done with it. It didn't last too long because of exhaust volume with the mufflers I chose. They were just TOO loud and tired me and everyone else out around me from the sound.
It's a cool mod and there's a lot of tail pipes to pick from. Keep us posted on the results.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
volusiaguy said:
Hey, Gary....what are your thoughts on modding something so that the Vol could have a pipe on each side of the bike? I can't see any room for it with the shock system, but I know you've thought about it....:)

Dave
I was think'n the same mod.........would look really sweet with one per side. The bike would look evened out in my opinion. I thought someone here already did this by taking out the tool box area and running the pipe thru there. Scott

·
Registered
32 Posts
The crossover pipe will make dyno results better, but when you are actually riding the bike you wouldn't be able to tell much of a differance at all.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Scott04 said:
volusiaguy said:
Hey, Gary....what are your thoughts on modding something so that the Vol could have a pipe on each side of the bike? I can't see any room for it with the shock system, but I know you've thought about it....:)

Dave
I was think'n the same mod.........would look really sweet with one per side. The bike would look evened out in my opinion. I thought someone here already did this by taking out the tool box area and running the pipe thru there. Scott
I don't know who that is, I guess. Might work...not sure I'd want to lose the side covers, though. There was a guy on the old VOL site from somewhere overseas that had a pic of a dual exhaust, but I could never get him to reply to emails and then my computer crashed and the vol went down and I have no idea who the guy was etc.

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
I remember the dually pipes that were put on a Volusia. The one thing I found that would work, and is relatively inexpensive, is a flat cross over for an HD Road King. Can't be used on a lowered Vol because the pipe has to go under the frame and it will scrape in a tight turn.
A dually set up can be done. It needs to be mounted in the same fashion as the bracket on the brake side. A bracket up front extending towards the rear of the bike to support the pipe. It'll have to be made and mounted to the frame. No bolt on there.
I've toyed with the idea for a while and even came close to doing it this last time. I might even go for it while my exhaust is at work and getting prepped for coating. I could probably tack together a prototype just to prove it can be done. Just gotta remember... when there's a will, there's a way. :wink:

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
^^^You can do most anything with a cutting torch and a welder!!!! All it takes is the IDEA.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If I had a real garage and all the tools needed I'm pretty sure I could figure it out. I'm really only limited by my lack of tools and space. If you give it a shot please post some pics and info, I may be interested in having a set made....but not so sure I want to loose my lowered bike, love the look too much. Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts