Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to hear from someone who has "cleaned their pipes" on a BLVD c50t. I have an 06 c50t and I'm looking to de-baffle this thing. It should have a nice rumble, instead of a buzz, it's a bike, not a bee !!! I've done this before on other bikes, but they were used, high mileage, so running correctly wasn't an issue. This is new and too valuable to me to screw up. I realize I don't have re-program the FI's because I'm not messing with the air intake, but I dont want to pull all that crap out of there and find out it won't hold an idle or I wind up burning a valve. If there is anyone out there with this type of motor, that has put a considerable amount of miles on it since pulling the baffles, please let me know how it's running. Also, I only have 750 miles on it, is it too early in the break in period, or should I let her get used to breathing with less back pressure ? any info would be very helpful......thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I've got a 2005 C50, cleaned EVERYTHING out of those suckers! Debaffled, demickeyed and knocked out the last plate.

I was nervous about doing it since my bike was a new one. I ended up doing it in steps over several months. Drilled 1/8'' holes, a little later 3/8'' and then 1/2". I was going to be satisfied with that until I met with a bunch of guys from this site for a ride. When three or four of them pulled up with debaffled pipes that was it! Man, their bikes made mine sound like a Cushman. As soon as I got home from the ride I debaffled with the twin hole saws and demickeyed with a softball bat. Later that week I went for it and took out the last plate.

Boy do I like that dark throaty rumble. I should have done it right off the bat. (Pardon the pun) I did not have to make any adjustments to fuel or air on my C50.

Important to note that I had to start using high octane after the surgury to avoid pinging and improve low band power due to loss of back-pressure. Am I burning the valves? Who knows. The plugs were normal color after 5000 miles like this if that is any indication that it is okay.

Instructions below and complete pics and diagrams in my gallery. HAVE FUN!

One: Combine a 3" hole saw & 1 1/2" holesaw onto a single drill arbor and drill out the rear plates in both pipes. The baffle pipe acts as the drill guide. Remove the plates (which now look like donuts).

Two: Insert a broom handle into the baffle pipe and move pipes around and around, back and forth to break the two tack welds at the base of the baffle pipe. Use locking pliers to finish it off. Remove the baffle pipes. You are done if you just want to de-baffle.

Three: (If removing the “Mickey” plate is desired): Take an old baseball bat and insert the fat end into the pipe, beat the the bat into the plate (like a giant punch) with a sledge hammer until the mickey plate bends in far enough so that you can take something (prybar or other long metal rod) and break the 3 weld spots. Once the 3 weld spots are broken just use the same long metal rod to fish out the mickey plates. (Some folks drill a bunch of small holes around the perimeter of the plate to remove it. More tediuos but less violent)

Step 4: (If removing the last plate is desired): Repeat step Three

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Big Pete said:
Welcome to the V.R. From W.Pa. Lot of people have debaffled Their C50s on here and I haven't heard of any problems.
Things didn't go all that smoothly when I debaffled. All went well up to knocking out the Mikey Plate. The first came out as expected but the second got knocked deeper into the pipe and wedged in to the point it wouldn't come out. So I had to sharpen a piece of re-bard and pierce holes into the Mikey and 3rd plate. I did the same to the other pipe until I got a balance and left it at that. This seemed to work fine. I've subsequently installed a set of Cobra Street Rod pipes which sound and look better. Not only that, but those original pipes weighed a ton and I'm no longer hauling around all that extra weight. Plus I have the option of taking the baffles out or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts