Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I just put Big 3's on my C50. I want to take the removable baffles out, but don't want my pipes to blue.

To get a louder sound (and not a brassy, tinny one), should I go with HK's Straight Through baffles or Big City Thunders? These are the only post market baffles I have heard of.

Also, anyone know how to get the buggers out? I got the screws out and thats where the progress ended!

Thanks!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I wouldnt recommend running without baffles.

1) I wouldnt necessarily say its louder...its noisier yes, but not a low grumble that travels. Think of a car with good bass and a car with good treble...you will never hear the treble car till you are right up next to it...and it still sounds like crud....same with tinny vs low exhaust.

2) The bike suffers terribly from a lack of back pressure. Try as I might...and then with my dealer..we were unable to tune the fuel processor to get the bike to run well. Backfires, bad idle...you name it. Put baffles back in.....instant fix.

I am running the HK straight through baffles and its louder than my neighbors care for it I can tell you that (though I like it :D ) I would go that route if I were you.

As far as removing.....thats a tough one. I put mine in too far and missed the set hole. I used a broom stick and wiggled it around until it got far enough out to be loose. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I heard somewhere that a coat hanger or a piece of threaded rod with a butterfly nut on will help get them out.

Once I have some spare time, I'm going to probably order the straight throughs from HK - I don't want that horrible brassy sound I had with defaffled stock pipes. More importantly, I dont want the pipes to get blue at the end where the baffles are out.

One question though about removing them, do they just slide right out once you remove the nut, or do you have to twist them?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
do not run without baffles, the big city thunder monster baffles, will give a loud deep tone. i used to have a set but they were to loud for long trips for me. sounded awesome and got many many compliments around town cruising etc., but mine were in vance hines straight shots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I ordered the HK straight throughs. The are supposed to ship next week.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i have hk big straights on my bike for 3 years,really loud,so i just put hard kore baffles on ,sounds real good and doesn,t make people behind me ears bleed.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
They are a b**** to get out . You need to use a broom stick handle to get them out . Pull the set screws , insert the handle and wiggle for all your worth . You need to be pulling the handle while wiggling . You have to use the handle in different positions , they will come out but it takes time . Also I used some W-D40 . When putting them back in I used the butt of a wooden baseball bat . Line up the set screw and tap lightly and it will line up . Also when putting them back in the baffle may not line up with the exaughst tube . If this happens use a flashlite to see which way the baffle has to go and use the broom stick it should pop in . Also search crumb cup mod on this site , that is what I did and it helped . Also try www.smartpartz.com they have an add on baffle that should work .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts