Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- Drill out the outer baffle plate, remove baffle, removed Mickey, etc. Baffle removal complete. What about inspections. Will it pass? I'm in deep sh't if it won't!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If it doesn't you can always find a cheap set of OEM's from somebody here in VR. That's not deep doo doo, that's just a little on your shoe. Just relax and enjoy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Besides, this is my first cruiser and my first attempt at modifying a bike. Previously owned a Katana 600 almost 12 years ago and it remained stock.

I know a guy that'll lickem & stickem anyways!

Thanks for the info-at least I can scrape it off my shoe now!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
We de-baffled Titan's Volusia and he didn't have to re-jet. He also has a bunch of 3/8" holes drilled in his mickey plates. All seems to be A-OK. And his carburated Volusia sounds better than my C50. Must be the fuel injection.

Oh, and welcome to VR. What part of the Republic are you from?

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can't rejet a fuel injected bike. But you can add a fuel management system for about $300 to $400. this option really isn't necessary though. My advise would be to just disconnect the battery terminal for a minute or so. Reconnect it. Start bike without touching the throttle. The computer will automatically recalibrate the fuel system. Follow this and you will have no problems. Removing the baffle and mickey does not reduce the amount of back pressure by that much. In fact, from what I have read, this recalibration thins out the fuel distribution. The result is a much better balance of fuel and air. The C-50 comes from the factory running very rich. Hope this helps eliminate any fears of debaffling.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
Jagoff Cruiser said:
You can't rejet a fuel injected bike. But you can add a fuel management system for about $300 to $400. this option really isn't necessary though. My advise would be to just disconnect the battery terminal for a minute or so. Reconnect it. Start bike without touching the throttle. The computer will automatically recalibrate the fuel system. Follow this and you will have no problems. Removing the baffle and mickey does not reduce the amount of back pressure by that much. In fact, from what I have read, this recalibration thins out the fuel distribution. The result is a much better balance of fuel and air. The C-50 comes from the factory running very rich. Hope this helps eliminate any fears of debaffling.
Looking at his gallery, he has a Volusia (no FI, carb)

·
Registered
819 Posts
I got Mickey out today, after 4 hours off beating the Sh!t out of them. They aren't smiling any more, neither is the big honkin blister on my thumb. I did it with a regular hammer, instead of a sledge.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Check your mounting hardware. After all that whoopin' they could loosen. Four hours? Man, you didn't kill mickey, you tourtured him to death! :shock:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Mine are equally as mangled. I took a picture, I will get it loaded tomorrow. Did you take the next plate out the same way, that one is really going to be a pain.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yes I did. Same technique. But I used a 10 pound sledge and an aluminum bat on mine. You need a bigger hammer bro.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Loud and mean sounding (I like). Bike runs great and sounds like a BIG v-twin. I no longer have that gnawing itch to make it louder. Can't count all the compliments from bikers, friends and total strangers. Don't do it if you don't like attention.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It is helpful to get a long piece of angle iron, the 3/4" stuff, and use it to isolate your hammering right at certain places after you beat the last plate in a bit. Whack it a few good times with the bat and sledge setup, then look to see where the welds are, and where the welded flange is trying to roll up, then use your angle iron to try to pop the welds.

Just don't go crazy in one spot with the angle iron, or I guess you could deform the outside of the pipes, although I didn't have that problem on mine. There are a couple spots inside mine where the mesh puckered in just a hair, but I think that is pretty much unavoidable and comes from the welds popping loose.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I checked my mounting hardware, good. When I go at the next plate, I will have me a sledge, angle iron, and an extra set of hands, which includes beer. That should make it go smoother.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts