Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 VL1500 Suzuki with 24,000 miles Clunking noise in TRANSMISSION 3,4,5 gear it is real Bad pull clutch lever in and noise goes away ????? I checked the clutch and drive line found nothing ???? I am familiar with the noisy transmission but I don't really notice this noise in 1st gear but when hitting 2nd and above (it gets worse). The higher the gear the louder the noise. This noise is a grinding, clunking and at times sounding as a rod knocking. I can hear the noise coming from the transmission, almost sounding as the noise is coming from the universal joint on the drive line....checked drive lines and are OK.This noise is very bad on deceleration and 2nd gear and higher. Once again the higher the gear and louder the noise. This started off sort of soft and the last few miles the noise had gotten louder. Anyone out there with any ideas? I am at a loss here....

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
That is exactly the sound mine made when the U-joint went out. I pulled it and it looked and felt good, but replaced it and the noise when away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright guys for all of those who have been viewing this: I found it and it wasn't what I thought . Let start from the beginning. My friend had bought this bike online in an auction.When he first received it he serviced the bike. He then went on two good rides, hearing the noise I had talked about, which was light at first. He thought this was a normal noise that these transmissions made. On the last ride home he noticed the noise went from light to heavy and by the time he had came by here it had gotten to the extreme of making a knocking noise, and clunking sound. I checked the rear end, drive line and the clutch and not really finding nothing. I figured that I would just clean the clutches back up to reassemble. That is when I found it: The gear on the back of the clutch that drives the oil pump was put in backwards. I can see how that would take a engine out not working the oil pump correctly, but not causing it to make the noises that I was hearing. I cleaned and reassembled, took this bike out for a test ride and all that I hear now is the winding of the gears and clunks as you change gears...nothing else. I am assuming that whom ever the bike was purchased from had the clutch worked on sometime or another thus placing the darn gear in backwards. Thought I would just let many of you that replied that the bike was running fine other than the gear whine which we all know is normal for these model .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.