Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Bad noises and a “clunk”

968 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Skrapiron 
#1 ·
Hey all, unfortunate this has to be my first post. 2007 Boulevard C50 all factory, 23000km on it and just passed an out of province inspection at a local shop last fall when I bought it, every single time it’s been fired up it springs to life quickly and with no issues, sounds, anything.
Went to fire it up today and it barely ran, making a heck of a racket ticking and knocking, then a modest clunk and stalled out. An attempt at re-start presents a slight clunk but no crank whatsoever. This is my first bike and completely lost as to what the possibilities may be. No strange sounds, smells, smoke, burning or anything previously. Help?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#1. Check the oil level.

#2. I would drain the oil into a clean pan and check for ‘debris’...

#3. Remove the cover nut on the left side of the engine- center of the engine side cover and attempt to turn the engine COUNTER CLOCKWISE with a socket and flex handle - don’t force it if it doesn’t want to turn.

All th possibilities that come to mind with what you have described are in the catastrophic category....

Connecting rod.... timing chain broken...

But that might not be....

Do you have a mechanic friend nearby?

You haven’t posted your location.....

#3 ·
I’m in Southeastern Alberta, Canada. Thank you for the reply and the info to start me off. Oil level is good with the bike stood upright. I will check if I can spin it freely when I get finished night shift here, unfortunately this happened moments before on my way to work. The best way I can describe it is as in the post, ran excellent previously but this time made one heck of a racket before seemingly locking up and unable to crank via starter at all. I’m mechanically inclined with vehicles, have never scraped knuckles on a bike yet though.

#5 ·
So the engine came apart and is now out of the bike, trying desperately to find a complete running replacement as it’ll be far more cost effective than replacing the parts apparently. Front piston came up and hit the front cylinder head wrecking the head and valves, breaking the piston and bits fell into the crankcase, timing chain is broken and slapped around inside. From what the mechanic best tried to describe.

#6 ·
I am sorry for your luck. You are correct, it is cheaper to replace the engine, than to purchase the individual components to affect a repair.

The block of the C50 has remained unchanged since 2001, meaning the internal components are the same for every year. But in your case, the damage to the cylinder head and piston would necessitate a complete engine.

Any 2005 to 2009 engine will work in your bike. In 2012, Suzuki introduced a dual spark engine with O2 sensors in the exhaust. You will not be able to use on of those as your ECU is not compatible.

Your best source for an engine is going to be the internet. Most often you can find donor engines on Ebay for around $1200 US.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.