Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided to take advantage of a rainy day and change the oil...good news is,,,all went well...should have...its a 30 minute process even a monkey can handle w/o too much trouble...

now the bad news...first time this year I have changed my oil...seeing how I changed it religously every 2-2.5k...guess that means I've only ridden it 2500 miles this year...sickening to say the least...for a guy who normally rides anywhere from 12- 20k a year...ouch...

guess if thats the worst thing in my life right now...shouldn't complain...and I'm not complaining...looking for a reason..
can't say I don't have the time...I'm retired...
can't say the bike is giving me problems...its running fine...
can't say the wife wishes I was home more...she's offered to pay for the gas just to get me out of the house
can't say I'm bored with the same old loops...any ride is a good ride...

so whatever...no excuses...time to try and close the season with some sort of respectful tally on the odometer.
May have to start my annual Jelly Bean contest early just to get me out riding before the ZeussMan decides to play April Fools with the weather...

Got a ride planned Saturday...guess thats a good start...ride safe all.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Welcome to the procrastinating retirement club, I’ll do it tomorrow . We did have a lot of days into the 90’s if that helps. Should get some nice riding weather this fall. The jelly bean contest always one of my favorites. Hope you have plenty of nice rides. Now should I guess high or low mileage? Throwing a monkey wrench into my calculations.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Riding to ride is all fine and such, but this season has left us all with pretty much nowhere to go.
When I'm in the mood to take a cruise, I tend to want a destination.
Lunch, dinner, something.

·
Super Moderator
21,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can't even use Covid as an excuse either...although it did serve as the perfect excuse for those going stir crazy to say one needs to get out and ride...

and yeah...it was hot more so than in the past, but when your retired you can get up early morning, grab a coffee and welcome a new day even if just with a 45 minute loop. Wonder if all my time spent smacking a little white ball around had anything to do with it....$$$ put in the registers at all the courses would have made for a nice down payment on a new goldwing...

·
Super Moderator
59,489 Posts
You're not strong enough to handle a Goldwing.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You have company.

I'll never get in the miles* or camping days this year that I have in previous years. Not even close.
I'm retired too, and Mrs. Menhir doesn't mind my traveling. This year has just been a perfect storm of events that limited my saddle/tent time.
COVID restrictions, campground closures, event cancellations, etc...
Except for Sturgis, everything else was the odd "day ride."

*I'm not counting in that I'm not doing my 60 mile round trip commute to work on my motorcycle anymore.

There is still time left before winter takes hold, but I'm not really up to squeezing trips in just to catch up to previous years.

I'm writing off 2020 as an "off year" for my motorcycle traveling.

Savin' it up for 2021.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Being relatively new to motorcycling, I have managed to squeeze in about 3k miles since the beginning of July. This has taken some effort! I only know three people that ride, and they live pretty far away and can't ever seem to dedicate themselves to a plan, so it's just me.

I'm working from home most days, so the commute is minimal, and until I became really comfortable on the bike, I wasn't thrilled with commuting anyways. Almost all my riding is just to go riding, to gain skill and experience. And after 3k miles, I've definitely done that.

I've been putting 300 to 500 miles on the bike almost every weekend. As of a few weeks ago, I've got my 10 year old daughter riding on small trips with me now, so even if it's just her and I, we can at least get out for an hour, where before that meant zero riding.
We're running out of nice weather up here in Wisconsin, so now I'm REALLY trying to get out there!!! Enjoy it while you can folks!

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
I got out for a 130 mile ride today, almost 5K miles over the last 11 months (all local). This Sportster is FUN to ride. Supposed to be in the low 100's Saturday and down to mid 30's and snow Monday night. Par for 2020 I guess.

·
Registered
20,927 Posts
Wish my wife would offer to buy my gas to hit the road.

Reactions: DCinCT

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
We're starting to go back into the office now. It's been pouring rain for the last couple of weeks, and this week I've had to take something large into the office with me every single day. Maybe next week.

·
Super Moderator
8,982 Posts
Funny, I was just talking about this with BearBait tonight.

I'm also way, waaaay behind on miles in the saddle this year. It's due to a combination of things.

First off, we had a winter that just wouldn't quit, at least up here in the Catskills. The highway crews kept salting the darned roads!

Then the pandemic lockdown started, and you couldn't do the usual stuff like take a nice ride to a restaurant for lunch. No riding to the office for the 10 weeks I worked from home, either.

May Fest was cancelled, so no Spring rally. There's no OctoVRfest this autumn, either. Thank God the Yankee Rally went on in New Hampshire, so I could roll on 700 or so miles that weekend!

I'm back to the office 5 days a week now, 30 miles away. Yes, I ride the bike from time to time rather than take the car, but not when the temps are into the 90s. Then the city of Kingston has the streets ripped up for a couple of huge projects to replace sewer lines and sidewalks, plus to convert a major intersection to a roundabout. So it's a lot of riding through construction, which certainly isn't much fun.

All this adds up to a pretty lame riding season. :( Or a pretty lame 'me,' if you prefer.

·
Super Moderator
21,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
guess I shouldn't feel so cheated...seems like I have some company in this maybe next year riding scenerio...have a safe weekend folks if you get out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I decided to look back at my mileage.
2017 - 9033 miles
2018 - 10083 miles
2019 - 8508 miles
2020 - 4248 miles to date. :oops:

Yup, I'm definitely running a tad short this year.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm down on the usual mileage this year. Covid put a stop to a planned Ohio week of riding in May and the border closed kept us from the Yankee rally. Mostly local riding with friends. I've got about 3000 miles on this season so far. Hoping to get in a few day excursion in northern Ontario later in the month. That should add another 1000 or so miles. Hopeful that by next Spring things are closer to normal and we can ride with our US friends.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts