Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several riders I know state that is bad luck to pick up your new bike instead of riding it from the the shop. It's a no brainer for me I will driving away on the new ride provided it doesn't snow.

Any truth to this silly superstition?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Superstition if you believe in them are what you make of them. As for me I not superstitious and never have been. Pick up the C50 in Dec of 06 hauled it home and no problems.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had mine delivered 2 years ago to my house and so far nothing bad. I bought it one day but was not able to ride it home from the dealership. The salesman road it to the house a few days later and dropped it off. I got home to a nice toy waiting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i picked u my m50 in feb of last year . it snowed so i couldn't ride it home . 2 weeks later started riding rode till the end of apr . i broke my back at work in may and havent ben able to ride since. i think its bad luck to pick up bikes, wait till its nice and ride it home!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't know about bad luck but the C50 was my first bike purchase although I have been on bikes for years and I was pretty excited. I drove a friend out to test ride and check out the bike for me. The next day I drove another buddy out to ride the bike home for me. I had the biggest grin watching my buddy ride it home down the super slab giving me the thumbs up several times on the way home.

As soon as she was home I figured out everything I needed to know and went for a spin. Good Luck I don't know but so far I have been lucky. :wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
20,463 Posts
other than the 3 day msf course I had no other riding experience or road time...2 days after passing the course I was sitting in a dealership buying a brand new bike...problem was dealership was in a very busy section of hartford and I was going to be picking it up and driving it home a few nites later at commuter time...smart enough to realize that was not going to be a wise move for somebody with no experience... tried to get the sales guy to ride it home for me...told me he learned the hard way once to never do that again...so asked my sons best friend to do it instead and after getting it home at 6:30 p.m. spent the next 5 hours riding locally to familiarize myself with the new toy...almost dropped it that nite stopping on a hill at a stop sign but the thought of that happening on its maiden ride gave me the adrenaline to keep it from touching ground.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Yesterday, my friend drove to the bike shop. He purchased a motorcycle. He put his keys and other items in the saddle bag on the bike, planning on having a friend take him back for his car. When he got home, he found a hole in the bottom of the saddle bag and his keys were gone. They had fallen out somewhere between the shop and his house. Yep, his only set of keys for his house and car.

Fortunately, he was able to find them on the side of the road. I will find out tomorrow exactly where he found them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've had several riders I know state that is bad luck to pick up your new bike instead of riding it from the the shop. It's a no brainer for me I will driving away on the new ride provided it doesn't snow.

Any truth to this silly superstition?

There is no such thing as luck, good or bad. No fate, destiny, predetermination.
There are just events that are influenced by other events that are influenced by yet other events. Some events we like, some we don't.

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Most likely this got started because the people who usually trailer their bikes home are first time owners with no experience who tend to wreck the bike shortly after. Someone decided it was bad luck when it was really just rider inexperience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You've already picked up the bad luck for referring to it as "driving" away! You drive a cage, you ride a bike.

:shades:

Its been awhile since i have ridden. Ride suggests 'your there for the ride' implying not in control. While driving suggests you have control.

As long as I dont wreck on the maiden voyage or in front of the dealer.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Yes it is terrible luck to load it in a truck and drive home. You should just give your bike to me. Now, if your riding it home you'll be OK, ... unless you live in Innisfil, Ontario then it's bad luck either way and you should just give your new bike to me. I will save you from all that bad luck!!!

Your welcome!

·
The Village Idiot
5,018 Posts
Its been awhile since i have ridden. Ride suggests 'your there for the ride' implying not in control. While driving suggests you have control.

As long as I dont wreck on the maiden voyage or in front of the dealer.

The bike... She is in control. Don't be fooled. You are only there for the ride... so enjoy where she takes you.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Prolly a myth started and reinforced by folks that bought bikes without riding them first who then discovered problems with the machine the that previous owner or dealer did not disclose...or in my case (I had mine delivered as the dealership does not allow folks with only permits to ride their machines until after they've been delivered to their houses.), got their "new" rides and with damage that wasn't there when they purchased the bike...sadly I couldn't be home when they dropped mine off and they wouldn't deliver to the shop where i was working, so I didn't catch the damage until hours after they dropped it off. When I called them to ask WTF happened and what they were going to do to fix the damaged windshield, chewed up mirror, fresh scratches and gouges in the front fender and the fresh, rather large dent in the fuel tank that matched the bottom of the left hand controls exactly they basically said "You bought it and it was fine when we dropped it off so it's your problem now."

Bad luck to pick up and not ride first, worse to have it delivered and not be present to dispute damages immediately....preferably before the bike is even taken off the truck.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Depends. If I am not trading in a bike, then I either need to find someone to drop me off (50 miles) or have the shop deliver it. It was more practical to have them deliver my new C50 when I bought it in 05.

When I traded my C50 in for my current ride, it was pouring rain at the end of November. Dealer was some 75 miles away. Son at work, neighbors working, therefore I rode the C50 there and the new bike home. That was 5 years ago and it has been a great ride since.

What kind of bad luck are we talking here? Not much luck at Love these last 5 years, is that what is affected? If so, I might be more careful on the next bike I purchase!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts