Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 and I just cleaned and checked all the electronics. I can't read the LCD. It is either burned out, sun damaged or plain broke. I have a possibility of getting one from a forum member but it IS NOT a 2008 speedo. Question is will it plug in and work and will the computer adjust for my miles and does it indicate fuel? Not paying $400 for replacement. My wife's is an o
06 and I could experiment with that one. Any Thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Check the fuse marked signal.
It has nothing to do with the turn signals but does with the speedo area.

Mine blew and I had no speedo, no lcd, no rear brake lites, no fuel, the only thing that would like up is the neutral.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW one suggestion which I will do. I guess this tells me that no one else is having the same issue and that this is a manufacturing problem that I have no way of resolving because the warranty is up. This is frustrating because the mileage readout is critical to be able to see how far to go between gs stops and if I was to sell the bike it has to have the correct mileage. Yes there is a fix. Spend $400.
And people bash Harley.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I have a 2008 and I just cleaned and checked all the electronics. I can't read the LCD. It is either burned out, sun damaged or plain broke. I have a possibility of getting one from a forum member but it IS NOT a 2008 speedo. Question is will it plug in and work and will the computer adjust for my miles and does it indicate fuel? Not paying $400 for replacement. My wife's is an o
06 and I could experiment with that one. Any Thoughts? Thanks.[/QUOTE

When the signal fuse is blown, the speedo dial or arm does not move at all. Does yours work when in motion?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
06 and I could experiment with that one. Any Thoughts? Thanks.[/QUOTE

When the signal fuse is blown, the speedo dial or arm does not move at all. Does yours work when in motion?
Yes it does fuses are ok and I cleaned the connectors. I just swapped my wifes 06 speedo to my 08. Everything works. LCD is bright and clear. It reads the info from her bike. The only difference is no fuel bars big deal. I go by miles anyway and there is the low fuel light. Hard to do when I couldn't read the LCD. I put mine on hers and it wasn't readable. My wife commented on this not being very tamper proof when all you have to do is swap a low mileage speedo for a high one!. Now that I know it works I will get the one from a member selling on the site. I would write a complaining letter to Suzuki but I doubt anything would come of it other than:

"We regret the difficulty you are having. Our parts section has a replacement for $$$$ Thank you".

I don't know if the heat killed it or just went out. LCD is so 1980 tech. I will be covering the replacement to protect it.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I know you don't get a lot of rain in Arizona but with electronics moisture can be a problem. I have found a hair dryer can sometimes restore none working electronics also have found corrosion block very useful.

CORROSION BLOCK Lube at West Marine

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a little test ride after swapping Speedos. I went to get some lunch and gas. I knew I was low and the warning light was on. So I had my luch, got the gas and when I powered up the warning light was still on. This i guess is because the 08 uses the fuel bars in the LCD and previous didn't. Speedo worked, odometer and tripometers all clocked the couple miles I went. I can live with the fuel light being on. Not perfect but it will do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts