Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all from Italy,
please i need help to understand what's happened to my bike.
After a long time of no use of the bike (for winter) i have take again the bike.
I have then, as usual, recharge the battery and before try to start engine i have removed the sparks, put at high gear and moved the bike (as the manual also suggest to do after winter storage).
I put then new sparks and mount all.
Now i need to change the oil and filter, but before do this, i try to start up the engine to warm the engine.
After some attempts, the engine starts but with a very bad, never heard before, knock noise from the front cylinder.
So i turn off after few seconds the bike.
Please i need suggestions to understand the problem.
My Vol is 2001 version.
Sorry for some english errors :)

See ya ..

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
did you use a fuel preservitive?
did you fill the tank up full before storage?

could be water in tank or varnished fuel in the carb.

If it were here I say try some Seafoam

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

don't know if you have it there.

others will be along with more help.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yep..... that was my guess too. Just knocking due to the octane / gas sitting over winter .... put in a little Seafoam, or some good petro.... and it should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really thanks for your replies !!!
Never used before this kind of product so please i need more info about (also why i need to find a kind of same product here in Italy ... however i will try to find exactly the same "Seafoam").

Some questions:
Boxwrench: what of the products on the site of Seafoam i need to fix the problem? the "SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT"?
For instructions i suppose that some other people have used this so i will be able to find some infos on the forum?!

eagle: what you say as "good petro" ? what kind of petrol?

Thanks a lot for your assistance .. but i have got an incident (not with my bike) that not permit me to use the bike for long time!

Boxwrench PS: about your 2 questions:

i put bike in garage absolutely without doing nothing of special (except disconnect battery) .. and the tank, when i storage, its half full.

·
Registered
284 Posts
nasty said:

i put bike in garage absolutely without doing nothing of special (except disconnect battery) .. and the tank, when i storage, its half full.
It was not a good idea. Proper storage procedure makes big difference when putting it back to service. Read the owner's manual.

·
Registered
679 Posts
"eagle: what you say as "good petro" ? what kind of petrol?"

Petrol is gasoline.

If you didn't have any kind of fuel stabilizer in the tank when you put it away. You might want to consider removing the fuel you have in the tank now and replace it with new. When you add the new fuel, that is when you would add the product like Sea Foam or what ever you can find there like it in Italy.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
nasty said:
Really thanks for your replies !!!
Never used before this kind of product so please i need more info about (also why i need to find a kind of same product here in Italy ... however i will try to find exactly the same "Seafoam").

Some questions:
Boxwrench: what of the products on the site of Seafoam i need to fix the problem? the "SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT"?
For instructions i suppose that some other people have used this so i will be able to find some infos on the forum?!

eagle: what you say as "good petro" ? what kind of petrol?

Thanks a lot for your assistance .. but i have got an incident (not with my bike) that not permit me to use the bike for long time!

Boxwrench PS: about your 2 questions:

Seafoam Motor treatment.

Petrol/ gasoline / benzine over a long period (months) will slowly degrade and go bad.

a quick fix is to take out the old fuel and put in fresh fuel.

putting a Fuel tank away 1/2 full allows water vapor in the tank to condense to water when the tank gets cold. So you end up with water in your fuel.
Keeping the tank full when you put it away for storage helps to stop this .

use a product like seafoam motor treatment after storage will help to clean up the fuel system. Puting it in before is a good idea too.
It doesn't have to be seafoam to preserve the fuel. I'm sure there is an equal product in you country to stabilize fuel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would just add Sta-bil, it will help with the old gasoline.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Bike is returned to like in perfect state!
After removing all gas, changed sparks, clean my K&N air filter, changed oil and filter ... and used a motor treatment product (like Seafoam) .. all is perfect!

Thanks a lot for your useful hints i hope that all this post can be useful to others.

Bye

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Great that this worked out for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stick around, your english is better than most around here. :lol:
Viper

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
472viper said:
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Great that this worked out for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stick around, your english is better than most around here. :lol:
Viper
DANG Viper, that's not nice to say!!
It's true, but still not nice to say!!!

Welcome to the VR Nasty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for comments! :D

However i'm new here at VR, but i have used much Volusia Owners forum.
As i remember, the site crash for some reasons and at same time, i destroy my foot playing soccer ... and so i leave then the scene for a while (bike, forum, ...) .

Now i'm returning to the "normal" state and continue then reusing bike .

I hope to write much on this forum and share with all ... opinions, comments, .....

8)

Cosimo "NaSTy"

·
Registered
238 Posts
Our Italian friend

Well I think we'll all agree his English is certainly better than our Italian !

I'm constantly amazed that most of us in the US only speak 1 language but most Europeans speak English along with their native language.

I have the upmost respect for someone that can do that.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Re: Our Italian friend

Dutch said:
Well I think we'll all agree his English is certainly better than our Italian !

I'm constantly amazed that most of us in the US only speak 1 language but most Europeans speak English along with their native language.

I have the upmost respect for someone that can do that.
most americans can travel 1000+ miles and never leave the country so never need to learn added to the fact at this point in time this country is in the top of the leading nations in the world so our influence and language is spread thru out the world.............for now.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Re: Our Italian friend

Dutch said:

quote]

When I do evaluations for my Spanish speaking employees I use Babel Fish to translate. Works well enough to get your point across.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts