Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nut fell off of the rear bolt on my right saddlebag. I have the bolt and the spacer (nut is gone) and the bolt pulls out fine and slides back in no problem. If I spin the saddle bag up I can reach in and touch the bolt for the front but once I drop the saddle bag down into place I cant reach in and feel the end of the nut.

I will stop by the hardware store and pick up a nut, should I get one of those nuts with the nylon insert of using loctite?

I searched and is this the thing where I need to flex the fender to get my hand up there?

What other bolts, nuts and screws should I regularly check and what should I use locktite on?

I just got the bike and looks like I need to really check everything. I did get an oil change done when I got the cobra bars put on. I will likely do most things myself but just getting back into this so it will be a learning curve all over again.

Thanks for any help
Gerry

·
Super Moderator
26,210 Posts
pretty much never hurts to use loctite on anything you screw or bolt on...just be careful which one you use ... not sure but i believe the red one will allow you to remove a bolt/nut/screw easier than the blue or is it the other way around...sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong. May want to check the cobra bar bolts also...never hurts to recheck anything that you can that may have required tightening when having someone else do work on your bike...never know if they got interupted while in the process and never completed tightening what they were working on. It happens...shouldn't but it does.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Red needs heat or impact tools to remove, blue is for hand tool removal

Reactions: gerry1957

·
Registered
624 Posts
BLUE loctite only.

The nut that was on there before didn't have nylon. I'd just get a stainless steel nut since that area will get wet. And use blue loctite.

If you can get the bolt through the hole then you don't have to flex the fender. Flexing the fender is if you have to get the bolt in and the holes aren't lining up.

I have long arems so I can kneel and reach that bolt, but sometimes its easier to just sit down and straddle the tire and you should be able to reach that nut.

·
Registered
17 Posts
theres multiple loctite colors. red and blue are the most common. if you use red just use a little dot of it. you can also use super glue if you dont have any locktite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.