Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to relate this in case it helps folks in the Atlanta Area. I recently ordered some Metzeler 888's from Atlanta Motor World in Roswell. At the time of order I spoke to their service department to find out the price for install. I was told $100 for a C50. Parts dept said the tires would be in on the next Tuesday. I called in Wednesday (no tires) and then Thursday (one tire's here, can't see the other - we'll give you a call). Called the following week and they say they have the tires and had left me a message (they hadn't).

I rode in when they opened on a Saturday for the install and the guy looked at the bike and started up with "Oh. I see. We're gonna have to take the pipes off for this so..." I stopped him and said they already quoted me $100. He started saying how 'labor intensive' it was to remove pipes (seriously??) and how they couldn't do it for less than $190. So anyway - I had it done instead at Atlanta Cycle on Buford Hwy for $91. Nice people there (not chatty, but nice) and the work was good. They called me to the back so they could adjust the rear brake how I wanted. That's where I'm gonna take my business from now on. Thought I'd share.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I couldn't get quoted for anything less than $150. So I did the change with a buddy from the club for a total cost of a 6 pack.

Reactions: Gable

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I just wanted to relate this in case it helps folks in the Atlanta Area. I recently ordered some Metzeler 888's from Atlanta Motor World in Roswell. At the time of order I spoke to their service department to find out the price for install. I was told $100 for a C50. Parts dept said the tires would be in on the next Tuesday. I called in Wednesday (no tires) and then Thursday (one tire's here, can't see the other - we'll give you a call). Called the following week and they say they have the tires and had left me a message (they hadn't).

I rode in when they opened on a Saturday for the install and the guy looked at the bike and started up with "Oh. I see. We're gonna have to take the pipes off for this so..." I stopped him and said they already quoted me $100. He started saying how 'labor intensive' it was to remove pipes (seriously??) and how they couldn't do it for less than $190. So anyway - I had it done instead at Atlanta Cycle on Buford Hwy for $91. Nice people there (not chatty, but nice) and the work was good. They called me to the back so they could adjust the rear brake how I wanted. That's where I'm gonna take my business from now on. Thought I'd share.
why do the pipes have to be removed to change tires? I ordered Metzler 2 weeks ago and my tech told me they were on B/O for 10 days. I have a tracking number now for this Wed. Maybe that was part of the issue for getting your tires. I am still curious as to why they have to remove pipes for tire install or your not telling the whole story...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
why do the pipes have to be removed to change tires? I ordered Metzler 2 weeks ago and my tech told me they were on B/O for 10 days. I have a tracking number now for this Wed. Maybe that was part of the issue for getting your tires. I am still curious as to why they have to remove pipes for tire install or your not telling the whole story...
I assumed that was part of just getting them out of the way of the rear tire removal, but if that's not needed then I'd guess he was playing me to jack up the price. Either way, they knew it was a C50 when they quoted on the phone. No more to the story though. Stock pipes.

not telling the whole story...
Maybe I sounded like too much of a commercial for Atlanta Cycle. Unintentional. No connection.

·
Registered
988 Posts
No need to remove the exhaust if you can lift the back wheel off the ground about 14 inches or so.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
When I do my own I don't remove the pipes. When I let the shop do it they remove the pipes and bags. I guess it gives them better access. If I take the tires off and I take them in and buy the tires from them its $10. I think it's $40, 50 or 60 if I bring them in on the bike.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
When I do my own I don't remove the pipes. When I let the shop do it they remove the pipes and bags. I guess it gives them better access. If I take the tires off and I take them in and buy the tires from them its $10. I think it's $40, 50 or 60 if I bring them in on the bike.

So the shop is not raising it on a motorcycle lift? The guy I use has a lift table that has a swing away drop panel for the rear tire area. The front tire does not require the bike to be on a lift. He uses a small bottle jack and tips the bike while on the side stand.

Just curious why you don't need to remove the bags and muffler and the shop does. More work than necessary.

·
Super Moderator
33,468 Posts
If you don't mind riding out to Powder Springs I highly recommend Walk-er-Ride Motorcycle. They do great work, are extremely fair and have a factory trained Suzuki tech on staff. Their Suzuki tech makes my head swim with all the stuff he knows.

As for the pipes, it only takes me about 2 minutes to drop my pipes in my garage with nothing more than a couple of hand tools. An extra $90 for doing it is a rip off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As for the pipes, it only takes me about 2 minutes to drop my pipes in my garage with nothing more than a couple of hand tools. An extra $90 for doing it is a rip off.
Yup. I haven't done the tires myself but I have swapped in new stock pipes for old. I think they just didn't need the business and thought maybe I'd take the hook. Anyway, the place I did get them put on is closer, so I'd use them again for tires. It's good to know Walk-er-Ride has specialty folks though in case I need that in the future. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Yup. I haven't done the tires myself but I have swapped in new stock pipes for old. I think they just didn't need the business and thought maybe I'd take the hook. Anyway, the place I did get them put on is closer, so I'd use them again for tires. It's good to know Walk-er-Ride has specialty folks though in case I need that in the future. Thanks for the tip.
Removing the pipes... stock or not stock... is totally unnecessary. They were blowin smoke up you know where...... or didn't know their business.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.