Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the HK 3" big straights going to be as loud and sound as good as a set of cobra drag pipes? Im thinking about getting some but i want my bike to be really loud.

Thanks,
Sno_Racer

·
Registered
639 Posts
HK3s

someone with debaffled cobras will weigh in soon.

I have HK3 and they are pretty loud. I usually wear earplugs due to wind noise, but I can tell you having ear plugs for HK3 is a must, especially if you take baffles out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: HK3s

TDragon said:
someone with debaffled cobras will weigh in soon.

I have HK3 and they are pretty loud. I usually wear earplugs due to wind noise, but I can tell you having ear plugs for HK3 is a must, especially if you take baffles out.
Do you think that your HK3's are as loud as cobra drag pipes?

Sno_Racer

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i know my HKs are louder than most of the Cobra pipes. still waiting on that decibel meter from Bass for an accurate comparison.
If the volume of the pipe is a problem/consideration HKs bigs are considered one of the loudest. If you could give a rats a$$ about how loud the bike is and are more concerned about how you want the bike to look I personally think the HK Bigs are the best for our bikes.
I personally went with looks I figured if I was going to spend the money I would get what I thought would look best on the bike. I also don’t have any noise considerations like others do.
Have fun with the new pipes consideration I know I did.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
We'll do a DB reading when you come over and adjust my valves Jim.
Jim2005 said:
i know my HKs are louder than most of the Cobra pipes. still waiting on that decibel meter from Bass for an accurate comparison.
If the volume of the pipe is a problem/consideration HKs bigs are considered one of the loudest. If you could give a rats a$$ about how loud the bike is and are more concerned about how you want the bike to look I personally think the HK Bigs are the best for our bikes.
I personally went with looks I figured if I was going to spend the money I would get what I thought would look best on the bike. I also don’t have any noise considerations like others do.
Have fun with the new pipes consideration I know I did.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I think the HK 3" are a bit louder than the Cobras. Just go with the look you want. They will both be loud enough you should wear ear plugs. I like my HK's

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
9 Posts
hk's are louder than the cobra drags but sound like crap imo.. i'll bet they'd sound good on a big twin, but i think theyre over kill for a 800. they kinda have a hollow popping tone to em.

if you get the cobra drags (best bet) and theyre not loud enough take the baffles out and cut em in half.. thats how i had my volusia and is sounded perfect.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Anyone remember the loud pipes contest at ToTT?

Debaffled drags were loud, debaffled HK 3's were louder. About equal were the debaffled VH straightshots. But weren't Gilligan/merrt island m50 loudest with the baffles/packing removed from his Cruzers?

I bought my pipes for looks and a bit of sound. I thought they were too loud until I rode with em for a week. now I like them a lot. VH Straightshots with baffles left alone.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I sure hope Cobras are good...I just ordered some new Cobra Streetrods to replace the HK 3's I am fed up with!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Personal preference....I LOVE loud but these sometimes tend to be more "noisy" then loud. Part of the problem is the one baffle keeps working loose mid ride...then I sound like a car with a loose exhaust. I have replaced it three times with no luck. The design of the system is a little odd and in my personal case its a bit of a challenge. Looks wise...they are the best...and I will miss that for sure...but I just want something a little more reliable. I imagine if you bought the HK and never removed the baffle...you wouldnt have a problem. I bought these without baffles and had to buy after the fact.

The other issue...a minor one...is that I can'tt pull out of my driveway without dragging the pipe. My bike is lowered 2.5 inches and since the HK's are so long and low and my driveway has a funny angle/curb its a bummer :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
HK 3s = loud

HK 3's are pretty loud, especially with the baffles removed (I just put new ones in mine after running without).

I personally avoid Cobra pipes, they blue easily and are nowhere near the quality of Hard Krome products. If you like the Streetrods, get the HK American Classics or Strippers (they are the same, but Strippers don't come with the fancy rounded endcaps)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts