Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up my new (to me) 06 C50T a couple of months ago. Since it still had the stock tires, I made it a priority to get those switched out. Well, I just picked up the bike and the mechanic was concerned about the fact that the pipes were completely debaffled. He said there might be issues with blowing a valve due to decreased back pressure. What do you guys think? Is it something I should be concerned about over the long term or not?

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I would think nah.. Dudes and Dudettes do it all the time. Someone else with more knowledge will be along soon. I keep mine quite :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Don't think so... I've been running my VH Cruzers debaffled for 8 years and 60k miles.

I pretty sure I don't have a burnt valve.

RV

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't think so... I've been running my VH Cruzers debaffled for 8 years and 60k miles.

I pretty sure I don't have a burnt valve.

RV
Good to hear. I thought it seemed loud but then again I don't have any experience on cruisers and no real reference on what is loud for a cruiser bike. I don't mind the loudness as long as it doesn't cause any accelerated engine demise.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Although, when I took my baffles out of my Suzuki TS250 dirt bike it ran so crappy when I took it for a test ride; I was worried I wouldn't making around the block without the engine being damaged. Put the baffle back in an stuck with the books recommendation to only remove baffles now and again for cleaning. It was a two stroke which I now know are notorious for needing back pressure to work but my guess is four strokes also need a little backpressure based on the comments of users of the Gman G-Pops Exhaust Lolli Pops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Debaffled pipes hasn't done my C50 any harm. I felt the power increased but wasn't actually measured. I am not an aggressive rider which may be a factor. Just be sure the engine is allways getting lots of air, ie clean air filter or it will use oil.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Debaffled pipes hasn't done my C50 any harm. I felt the power increased but wasn't actually measured. I am not an aggressive rider which may be a factor. Just be sure the engine is allways getting lots of air, ie clean air filter or it will use oil.
I agree DE-baffling a C50 shouldn't cause any harm.
It does increase the sound level achieving what most want.
The louder sound of course feels like more power.
With my TS250 it was obvious I had way less power and way more sound.
With de-baffling the C50 it isn't obvious the debaffling has cost power until one notices the difference in power after restoring some backpressure why some really like the G-Pops. The mini baffles are reported to improve torque at low to mid rpm which can to be felt. Sound a little down low end power a little higher.

I haven't de-baffled so no need to install mini baffles wondering if someone who has installed mini baffles will chime in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree with Red here. I have debaffled quads and other things in the past and it never gave me anything but noise and worse performance. I do not know if you would blow a valve, but lower back-pressure is bad on the engine. You can correct this by getting more air into the engine and changing the main jet and needle on your carb. Most people I know do exhaust and intake, as well as the carb and gain performance.

My 2004 VL800 was done this way. The original owner put on a K&N filter and custom, chrome exhaust with no baffles. When I got it, it did not run right. I discovered the carb was stock, so I put a stage1 kit in it and went to a 155 main jet. Problem solved. Runs like a charm and I can get 47mpg if I ride solo on the highway.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
De-baffling may increase power at WOT or high rpm but also may decrease power at low to mid range. With sound up at all speeds. :wayhappy:
Dyno runs after debaffling and with and without mini baffles would be interesting to see. But with the low HP of a C50 I don't think many would do a bunch of dyno runs on a C50 unless they owned a dyno machine and likely not even then.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'm curious... do they pivot freely and act like a butterfly?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

They look to be welded solid but also look like they could be rotated and solidly mounted at any angle from sideways to the flow to full functional usage. Probably could be turned to adjust sound or back pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts