Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just under 6 ft. Weigh about 270, mostly gut.

When I ride, my butt-bone seems to hit right on the hard part of the stock seat, at the far back of the seat. After about 45 minutes to an hour, I have to get off for a long stretch. Would an aftermarket, custom seat perhaps solve that? I've seen posts about Mustang brand seats, are they really all that? Seems like a lot of money, but comfort does have a price, I guess. But before I spend that kind of $$$, I did want to ask others if they really help. Also, do they hold up well? Are there other brands of custom seats, other than Mustang? How do they stack up?

If you were/are a rider in the Omaha, NE area, where would you buy your custom seat? Online or local dealer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Yes. I used to balk at the pricetag also and figured that it was these long-distance, "I'm gonna ride halfway across country in 3 days" kinds of people who needed it. Then I noticed my butt hurting about 45 minutes into a ride one day. Then it all made sense.

Think of it this way. You probably don't like a mattress that's way too firm, but one that's WAY too soft doesn't do the trick either or else you'd be laying on the box springs with no support. That's pretty much what the stock seat does--it feels good when you first sit in it, but the foam doesn't support you worth a crap. By contrast, the Mustang feels firm at first, but then you realize after awhile that it's supporting you and the pain you once felt isn't an issue.

That being said....several people love the Suzuki gel, most love the Mustang, some just get better padding for the stock seat....there are lots of options!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am 5-11' and 260..... I had the same problem after 45mins to an hour. I just wished I had purchased the mustang sooner! worth every penny!

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
had a gel, now a mustang 3 piece. Gel keeps heat in summer....you can guess what happens.

·
Registered
96 Posts
+1 My Mustang with driver's backrest has made ALL the difference in the world. You won't regret spending the money after you realize your butt no longer hurts!

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
yes. they are 'all that' :)

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
I've yet to convince my azz that a Mustang seat is worth the $$$$. It's got to be the most over priced mod on the market.

·
Registered
785 Posts
a cost effective option is the homeboy mod. There are a few members here who swear by that, as strongly as the mustang fans swear by the high dollar option. That being said, my wife told me to get a Mustang. I married a keeper!

Tim

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought a mustang seat for the same reason. My tailbone kept hitting a stupid hard part on the seat.

I just happened to find one used on this forum and got it for a good discount off the new price. I've had it on for about a week and have done a few 2+ hour days of riding and it feels great. Very comfortable. I get off it and can't wait to get back on the bike. I don't need any 'breaks' from riding it seems like.

Is it worth 700 dollars?!?! I don't know. Depends on how much money you have to spend. But was it a big improvement over the stock seat? Definitely.

Plus side for me is it moved me forward slightly, and the floorboards are now where I would 'naturally' put my feet. Before the seemed a little far forward (I'm 5'4"). And it did raise me up a little so I can't flatfoot the bike like I used to.

Alexi

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
I went from stock to Gel and then the Mustang. If you ride two up the Mustang is a must have. The gel seat was good for me (not as good as the Mustang) but the wife hated it and the stock seat she loves the Mustang. The best mod I've done to my Vol. It is holding up great 3 years now. :D

·
Registered
812 Posts
Same here. I was your size last year, could only stand 45 minutes or so on the bike. I am not a long distance rider, just around the back roads on the weekend. But even those short rides sucked.

Now with the Mustang, my butt never hurts. I had a big problem with the price, but now that I sucked it up I do not regret the decision one bit.

Don't skimp on the backrest to save money. If you've already chunked out the money for the seat, what's the extra money for the backrest? You can always take it off, but you can't add it.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
someoldman said:
I am just under 6 ft. Weigh about 270, mostly gut.

When I ride, my butt-bone seems to hit right on the hard part of the stock seat, at the far back of the seat. After about 45 minutes to an hour, I have to get off for a long stretch. Would an aftermarket, custom seat perhaps solve that? I've seen posts about Mustang brand seats, are they really all that? Seems like a lot of money, but comfort does have a price, I guess. But before I spend that kind of $$$, I did want to ask others if they really help. Also, do they hold up well? Are there other brands of custom seats, other than Mustang? How do they stack up?

If you were/are a rider in the Omaha, NE area, where would you buy your custom seat? Online or local dealer?

Thanks!
We're about the same size, I'm an inch or so taller. Anyway...for me, the Mustang seat was the best money I spent on my C50T. Period. The first thing I put on my 2007 Nomad was a Mustang seat with rider backrest. Again, the best money I've spent on that bike.

It's a very subjective thing. Some people do just fine with the stock seat. I'm not one of them. Others buy a Mustang and don't like it. While that's incomprehensible to me, it happens.

Find the best online deal you can and then call Dennis Kirk and ask them to "beat the price by a buck". They have to be able to verify the product and price, and they'll beat that price by a dollar and you get free shipping. Plus you will be buying from an extremely well-known and reputable company.

Good luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Mustang seat is the single best thing I've done to mine. If you can't enjoy the ride, or are dealing with pain/numbness of the arse after a short time, what's the point?

The passenger seat comfort is raised an equal amount from stock as the driver. It's also wider - (although I'd refrain from mentioning that aspect to any significant other as a reason to purchase)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Mustang

Amen to all the above ^^^^ best mod for the money spent, period, well except maybe the C90 final drive. 8)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
It's a no brainer....Increase the size of your wallet and you can increase the size of your seat...!!! But then again...you can always decrease the size of UR SEAT by decreasing what you eat! :shock: NOW I am not saying PPL who need Mustang seats have large glutes! BUT, "pun intended" the seat of the problem might be solved at NASA with temprapedic foam seats that way you could put a glass of wine on your bike and it won't spill!! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
someoldman, how long have you had your bike? Is it a C50, Volusia or what? Do you need to consider a passenger's comfort in your seat choice? Have you already tried the OEM Gel or the Homeboy cut seats? The general concensus here is that you cannot get any better than the Mustang seat. I tried it, didn't fit my a$$, didn't like the way it pushed me forward, and up, it felt hard to me. I didn't give it enough time to break-in to my butt either. I ride a Volusia with a gel seat, seldom if ever with a passenger. Have done 1,500 miles with the gel and no problem for me. For the investment amount, you must try it yourself, your behind may not be the same as other's behind.

·
Premium Member
23,762 Posts
basshole said:
I've yet to convince my azz that a Mustang seat is worth the $$$$. It's got to be the most over priced mod on the market.
Ever do 420 miles in 6 hours? :lol:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts