Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Are Boulevards that rare?

5K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  RussNH 
#1 · (Edited)
I've owned my C50 for a little over a year at this point.
So far, so good. I've come to really enjoy traveling on it*

In addition to my regular local travels, it's been to the Sturgis Black Hills Rally twice now, on a long loop through the South and more. I just came back from Ohio's Thunder on the Strip.
I've seen a lot of bikes at these places and to date, I have never seen a single Boulevard besides the one I've been riding. Not one. That doesn't mean they're not out there, but they seem exceedingly rare.

Harleys abound everywhere of course, Indians have become much more common, Honda's, not just Goldwings but Shadows, etc., too.
Other riders I've met talk highly of their experiences with the Boulevard, or their friend's etc., Boulevard. Still, you don't see them much.

I'm just curious. In any case, I'm representing. :wink2:

*With the exception of the Pirelli tires that were on it when I bought. No sir, I don't like 'em. Maybe when they learn to make them consistantly round. :laugh: They'll be replaced with Michelin Commander II's as soon as they wear out.

See less See more
#4 ·
Most people get them as entry level bike's and move up to something bigger.
Maybe, but I still regularly come across much smaller bikes at these events, the Honda Shadow 600 VLX (I used to own one, so I tend to notice them) for example, along with other small so-called "entry level" bikes. Even Viragos.

(As an aside, I've never agreed with the entry-level bike thing. Entry level riders yes, they seem to come with all sizes of bikes. :grin2: )

#3 ·
No, they are not that common. That is why there is basically no aftermarket parts available for them.

#13 ·
Probably so. I was just curious because I don't see them out at events and such.

The wife and I had discussed moving to South Carolina when I retire. If so, I'll have added one more Boulevard to the state. :smile2: I love hills and the forests of PA, but the long winters wear on me. Anyway, retirement is only two months away at this point and we've made zero concrete plans. We'll see... I'm probably gonna take advantage of the extra time I'll have to be lazy first...and the wife wants the kitchen remodeled :surprise:...before the moving thing comes up again.

#14 ·
I just bought a 2005 S50 Boulevard as my starter bike...first bike. I checked out the C50, and loved it, but just didn't feel comfortable with it - size wise. The S50 is lighter and feels easier to handle for a small guy like me (5'4"). I figure in a couple of years I'll Move up to a C50 - they seem like a great bike!

Oh! and I have Pirelli tires on mine! You think they suck?

#15 · (Edited)
I just bought a 2005 S50 Boulevard as my starter bike...first bike. I checked out the C50, and loved it, but just didn't feel comfortable with it - size wise. The S50 is lighter and feels easier to handle for a small guy like me (5'4"). I figure in a couple of years I'll Move up to a C50 - they seem like a great bike!
The way I look at it, any bike I'm comfortable with is a keeper. I don't care about size, displacement, or darn near anything else if I like the bike and it's up to the job.

I've done multi-state tours, camping equipment and all, on a 150cc scooter. Of course, it was mostly on the blue roads, but it did the job just fine. The funny thing was, I'd meet other riders who were absolutely astounded that I could travel that far on a scooter. They asked how. I'd say, load 'er up, get on the road and go."

I have thousands and thousands of touring miles on a 600 Shadow and never had a problem with the bike's capabilities. In fact, the smaller lighter bike suited me just fine. If I hadn't ridden it until I just wore it out, I'd still be riding it. People say you can't tour on anything that small. Horse Hockey.

My C50? It is my "big bike." Once again, so far I have not come across a single instance where I felt I needed something bigger.

Of course, that's just me and my riding style, but yes, I like the C50. It's seems to be a good bike. For the record, I'm 5'9-1/2" and about 180#, but with only one fully functional leg (another story). Anything much heavier would truly be a liability for me anyway. Like I say..."Whatever suits ya."

Oh! and I have Pirelli tires on mine! You think they suck?
I don't know about Pirelli's in general, but my own experience with the two sets I've owned on two different bikes were that their quality control is lacking. I once had to buy a rear tire while touring and the darn thing was out of round. No choice...it was the only tire I could get locally and I had to get back on the road. I replaced it once I got home.
The front one on my C50 seems to be a bit off, too.
Two out of two bad experiences = I don't use them anymore.
Also, the bike seems a little twitchier than I like with the Pirelli's.

Hardly scientific, I know, but I've never had a problem with the Commander II's as far as ride or longevity. I'm sticking with what I know. :smile2:
Pirelli is a major manufacturer with a lot of cred. If yours are fine, then you're good to go. Ride safe and happy. :laugh:

Reactions: e94racer
#26 ·
Use Amsoil, Seafoam and Dynabeads. It not only makes your bike last longer, but promotes hair growth, a more youthful complexion and a testosterone boost.

Reactions: chico
#29 ·
Maybe you missed them at Sturgis. We saw several even though I was not looking for them. More than that, we had more than several different encounters on our 7480 mile trip.

An example, pulled into a Motel somewhere in Kansas. While we unloaded, 4 Harley Ultras, all same model, different colors pulled in two doors down. Made drinks, found out where they were from and where they were headed. Pulled chairs outside, under the eave to watch the sun set. Next door, on the other side pulls up a newer C50. Guy was beat, so after a quick hello he just disappeared into his room and we were gone the next AM before he came out.

Perhaps because I had such a great time after my divorce riding a C50, or perhaps because I met so many great riding friends who remain my friends today, almost 15 years later, I notice Volusia/C50s.

Like many have said here, I don't rule out a C50 when the monster I ride now stops being fun.

One grace about the Western Volusia/C50 riders is the vast distances we ride, just to meet up. From Calgary, Abottsford, and Medicine Hat, in the far North to Silver Prings and Cameron Park in our South, and everywhere in between. Often these mostly former Volusia/C50 riders will ride alone or in a small group for 3 or more days, just to party for one or two nights before heading off the long way home. To counter that, almost all my Harley riding buddies used to live within a 50 mile radius. I moved, so now, everyone is 300 miles or more. But even on my quiet rural street, every so often I see, or more often now, hear a M50 go by the end of my driveway.

#30 ·
Maybe you missed them at Sturgis.
Not maybe, more like certainly. :grin2:

I'm sure there were some there, and I haven't been actively scanning for them, but they still seem pretty rare. Maybe mine was one of the ones you saw...Who knows. :smile2:

A side note: Next year is the 80th Sturgis Rally. I'm thinking of making my reservations earlier than usual (I usually make them in the Spring). The 75th was HUGE, and people were being turned away even at the campgrounds unless they had a reservation. I don't know the the 80th will draw those numbers, but it's a long way to go to find there's no room at the inn.

#34 ·
He hurt his neck, trying to figure out what the drunk contractor was doing at his new house.

Reactions: FX4 and Whiskey
#36 ·
Monumental screw-ups.

#40 ·
You must have used the guy that I bought my house from as a contractor. I went to change out the toilet in my basement bathroom and found out the only thing holding it to the floor was a bead of caulk. The bolts were in the toilet, but they weren't attached to anything but the toilet.

#43 ·
Can we assume that basically no after market isn't the same as literally no after market? I mean Memphis Shades sells batwing fairings for them, crashbars no problem, Eastern Beaver sell relay kits and fuse kit for them. More than a few around New England. I stop next to a Harley and watch ever thing from the foot rest up shaking and I'm glad I have a Boulevard. Got Oillite bearing for my shifter lever. I think I'm doing pretty well after 14 years of riding my C50T for basically no after market parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.