Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the idea of changing my stock handlebars (VL800 '02) for a set of ape hangers. I don't want anything too crazy or uncomfortable to ride.
The question is, how high can you go without having to modify all the wiring/cables? I was thinking 10" to 12" is that doable with the stock cables?
Is it an easy install?
Thanks in advance. I'm sure someone else went through this already :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would go with 10's after installing the 12's because I had to do a lot of repositioning on the controls and re-routing the cables and it just isn't as neat as I would have liked. It works fine but I prefer it to be more like the stock positioning on the controls and such. I love the 12's but I really think I would have been just as happy with the 10's. I bought mine on ebay....just did a search for ape hangers c50 and went from there. As long as you get a pr that are 1" they are going to work. I recommend trying to get a pr with no internal wiring access or dimple for controls. Just straight bars. You will also have to grind off the tabs on the switch housings or drill your new bars for them. No biggie either way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ape angers

I got a set of 10 inch apes off ebay.Went on pretty easy.cables were fne.
My scoot is a 2004 intruder.took about1 hour to git t done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have 10s currently and plan to go bigger my 04 came with those crazy big beach style bars so i have plenty of cable room still. i think you can get away with up to 16s with out changing the cables but id say anything over 14'' be prepared to extend cables

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know its a bit of a different bike but I just put 16's on my 13 this winter and I had to extend the wiring 16" and for the cables I went with +8 for throttle and clutch and +12 for the brake line. Now that it's done I would go with +9 on the clutch, and my 5'9" frame puts the bars about .5-1" above my shoulders so next time I might go with 14's. But I really love the way they look but have only put about 100 miles on with them so I'm not sure how they will do on a 3-400 mile trip yet. MN weather has not been very kind yet. But I can say that the 16's are much more comfortable than the stock beach bar. I put 90 miles on last weekend so about 2 hours in the saddle and I was not sore at all in the shoulders or neck like I normally was the first run of the year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.