Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Was riding the other day and saw a harley ahead of me with medium height ape hangers, ie slightly above shoulder level and it looked cool :)

Anyone here have hangers on their C50? What type and size fit nicely on our model bikes?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
NO!!

UGH! not a fan of apes on any bike. But on that note, it's your bike not mine. Not that I haven't seen a few cool looking bikes with them. Personally I like the stock bars on the C50. Good looking and very comfortable. I've actually lurked on a few other forums and ran into one site where some of the bike owners "customized" their bike with C50 handlebars. Hmmm

If I were to switch out bars, I'd go drag bars. Bad ass looking. But I'm leaving em stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with 12 inch apes on my c50 just so I didn't have to change the cables. Anything bigger you have to change them out. But my question is , where can I buy longer cables so I can go with 14 inch apes? Anyone know a good website that already has them?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
You need to look up your individual state laws. I live in NY and the law here is the handlebars can not go higher then the rider's sholders. So that is subjective to each individual.

I had 12 in apes on my 06 C50T. I replaced the cables and the brake line with braided. Looks great.

I bought the apes off of this forum. and the cables at a local shop.....

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got 16 apes from a softail on my 2004 Volusia. I went with meancycles.com about 3 years ago. I hope info below helps plus 10 inches extended wires thru bars, heres what I paid for then:

Part No Item Size Color Qty Unit Price (US$) Total (US$)

BT-101-70-10003+10 BLACK CLUTCH CABLE FOR SUZUKI VL800 VOLUSIA 01-05, C50 06-08, C50C 09-UP, C50T 09-11 & VZ-800 BOULEVARD M50 2012 (High Efficiency) PLUS 10 INCHES 1 67.95 67.95
BT-101-70-30003+10 BLACK THROTTLE CABLE PULL FOR SUZUKI VL800 VOLUSIA 01-05 PLUS 10 INCH 1 57.95 57.95
BT-101-70-40003+10 BLACK THROTTLE CABLE PUSH FOR SUZUKI VL800 VOLUSIA 01-05 PLUS 10 INCH 1 57.95 57.95

Sub Total: $183.85
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Tax (FL only) 7%: $0.00
$183.85

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
OK...for all my years I've actually wanted to ask this question to someone who had experience. I understand how its subjective, personal liking and looks etc..Not trying to judge. But, I saw a guy the other day who went down the road with what I would call a monkey bar position, without the monkey bars. Wife and I repeated 5 times...how can that be comfortable.

My professional experience tells me its a rotator cuff injury in the making. Are you just going across town for milk and eggs or are you going for a long ride? Hand numbness? Neck issues? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
OK...for all my years I've actually wanted to ask this question to someone who had experience. I understand how its subjective, personal liking and looks etc..Not trying to judge. But, I saw a guy the other day who went down the road with what I would call a monkey bar position, without the monkey bars. Wife and I repeated 5 times...how can that be comfortable.

My professional experience tells me its a rotator cuff injury in the making. Are you just going across town for milk and eggs or are you going for a long ride? Hand numbness? Neck issues? Anyone?
I've put over 50K miles on a Volusia with ape hangers. First year was 2005, and they are still on there. I don't have any shoulder problems. I've traveled with ape hangers as far east as New Hampshire, as far south as Kentucky, and as far west as Minnesota. I live in the Detroit area.

HOWEVER, yes, I've seen some wildly crazy high bars out there, too. Lots of factors to take into consideration when riding with apes. Personally, when I'm riding, my arms are just slightly higher than if they were extended forward directly in front of me. I'm 6 foot even, and ride with 14" high apes that are 37" wide. You certainly don't want bars so high that you are actually hanging from them. That's dangerous and not cool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yesterday i fitted 12 inch narrow apes on my volusia. I couldve gone way higher. I didnt have to change anything not even rerouting of the cables! It really depends on how wide apes are and how far the kickback is. My bike is a ‘02 model.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yesterday i fitted 12 inch narrow apes on my volusia. I couldve gone way higher. I didnt have to change anything not even rerouting of the cables! It really depends on how wide apes are and how far the kickback is. My bike is a ‘02 model.
key word "narrow"..i had to re route my clutch cable with 12" apes with a wide hand to hand grips

·
Registered
8 Posts
key word "narrow"..i had to re route my clutch cable with 12" apes with a wide hand to hand grips
I know thats why i managed ‘narrow’. It all depends on what kind of handlebar you bought

1 - 15 of 15 Posts