Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
From reading the reviews on your link - "not loud enough" is the main complaint. The only really happy user (5/5 stars) put them in a ski helmet.

Side by side comparison below:
http://helmetspeakers.com/

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Garbage! But I'll give you a pair if you want :D I just went through half a dozen different helmet speaker arrangements trying to get the right setup. I don't like going through the hassle of plugging in my Ety earplugs when I'm just commuting. I want to just go, but I do like listening to my sports radio station going to & from work. Plus, I'm legal with just helmet speakers (in this state at least).

First thing I learned, if it says for MC use, they tack on extra charges similiar to "marine". Just words to use for more profit. I tried four different types of MC specific helmet speakers. Only this one sounded decent at all. For less than that price you can get a good pair of headphones and make them up in your helmet. I found the Koss KSC-75 for less than $20 sound better and if you want a little better yet, Sennheiser PX 100's (The white one's of these were $27 @ Amazon a few weeks ago). Both of thes units disassemble nicely so just the speakers go into the helmet. I'm currently sticking with the Sennheisers.

An amplifier makes a big difference. With my little radio distortion starts up before a good volume is found. I have a Mix-It2 that I truly love, but I don't like leaving it exposed on the bike at the airport for someone to make off with. Koss makes a small equalizer/amp that works OK. Also the Boostaroo amp/splitter you can pick up at any Radio Shack is OK. I'm waiting on delivery of the Iasus Amp that I can mount on the helmet. We'll see how that works out.

Good luck on your music endeavors

Jim

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have been looking at getting speakers too. I was wavering between the two different ones.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I got this idea after reading a post by Poker.
He has an mp3 player, but said the ear buds were uncomfortable under his helmet, and he was right.
Worse, they tend to block out too much outside noise-so all you can hear is the music.

I took a little time at Radio Shack and hand picked some clip on style ear-phones for this project.
I chose a nice set of high quality SONY MDR-Q22LP clip-on earphones @ $19.99.
Then I dismantled the ear hook, and added some stick on Velcro from my daughter’s craft box.
The speakers fit nicely in the small ear alcove inside the helmet.
I plugged it into the player, and….Awesome!
It feels like you are wearing a giant pair of headphones- the audio quality is superb.
At a little past half volume it overcomes my pipes (totally stock), yet I can still hear the quiet beep of my turn signal minder, and ambient traffic noises.

I tried these speakers out with my HJC helmet, and my buddy's Mossi, and it worked great on both- very comfy!
The Velcro grabs onto the liner material very well, and you can adjust the placement to the center of your ear.

The girl on the package really seemed to be enjoying herself!
Pop off cover cap, remove chrome cover with needle nose pliers, remove screw,
remove ear hook and spring, install Velcro hook patch over screw hole.

Attach speaker inside ear alcove just above top of helmet strap, run wire and other speaker under foam liner, attach above the other strap.
Mount your player near your grip, or put it in your pocket, plug it in and enjoy!

The player I used is a San Disk m230- about $60 bucks on the Internet.
You can take your favorite Cd's (or get some from the library) and use your computer to download up to 120 songs.
Spend another $30 bucks, and you can double your capacity.
The FM reception is WAY above average- my favorite college radio station fades on my car stereo-yet comes in crystal clear on this puppy!
It can hold digital data, and has a built in audio recorder as well (that could be fun- "why did you pull me over again officer?")!
The battery will last 19 hours (it's a AAA), and the display is back-lit for low light conditions.
I put some foam on the back of the player, and then mounted it to my handle bar at my right hand.
It’s easy to access all the controls, or quickly pause the player for silence.

Generally, I’d rather listen to the hum of my motor, and the chirping of the birds when I ride,
but I thought this would be great on longer rides. 8)

-Raz

This post was from 2 years ago, and this set-up still works wonderfully. There are probably less expensive choices with a lot more memory available now!

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
they are awesome till they break. I had them for a while, put a couple K on the bike with them in helmet, i liked the fact they had a seperate plug so i didnt have something dangling from the lid and i could plug up right by the strap. One speaker started cutting out, so i whipped my pocket knife out and cut it off the wire, and tossed the offending speaker. now i just have one, so far that one still works, but i took it outta my helmet a while back to put it in my other helmet and now i cant find it :oops: Id say if you dont want to commit too much $ to it, go for it, but if you expect em to last, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I have a set of those, a guy sold them to me for 10 bucks. They are definitely not loud enough. I switched to some of the in ear type, which work well and also block out wind noise.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I've used these for a couple of years now.

Yeah...not really that loud. But how loud do you really want them to be.

If you don't want to hear anything other than your MP3 player or the radio, you might want to think about getting the earmold sets from...companies that i cant think of right now...(my bad).

I have earmold sets for my Shure earphone. But I use them while I'm playing drums for audio monitors. And they do a great job in isolating me from the rest of the carcophany of the band.

Mike

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Thanks for the post Raz. I'll try that with a set I have laying around the house.

Yes, my koss in-ear foam plugs DO hurt when i have my full-face helmet on...but they DO work great for blocking wind & noise when I use them w/my 1/2 helmet.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I have a set in one of my helmets and they work just fine. "not loud enough" may be the device they are plugged into, and not the speakers themselves.

I got mine from Helmet Audio.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i have a pair and no the arent loud, mainly because mp3 and little radios dont have enought power to make them loud. but i bought one of those mp3 palyer amps that fits in a altoids tin and now they are REALLY LOUD headphones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts