Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Anyone here have a Goldwing?

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Treetop 
#1 ·
I love my 2004 Vol(especially with the DJ mod) and I'm keeping it; but---I love long trips with my wife on the back and, while I KNOW you can go cross country on the Vol 2up, it just isn't as comfortable as we'd like it to be. Soooooo-I'm thinking about getting a big touring bike, either the Wing, BMW 1200 series or Nomad type for the long trips. I'll be retiring in about 18 months or so and plan a lot of long trips. I'll still keep the Vol for around town and short (200 miles or so) daily rides. If anyone here has experience with the Goldwing, please chime in and let me know how it is. Thanks

#3 ·
Copilot,

I'm in nearly the same situation as you. My wife has decided on a cross country motorcycle trip for next year. We have the same concerns about the Boulevard as you. The bikes we're considering are the BMW K1200LT, HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic and Yamaha Royal Star Venture (in no order of preference yet). BMW and HD were eager to let us test ride.

#4 ·
I've ridden the above rides and done motorcycle touring. Brother Acorn has a wing wing, and so do a lot of fellow VR's

The Gold Wing is the best of the lot. The WIng Wing is the same bike (almost) as the LT but costs less and that's pretty cool. I love the LT and probably would pick one over the wing but the new wings are so feature and value laden (and the current stocks are US made) that I would probably pick the wing.

It is maneuverable at low speed, very advanced in its design, and offers all day touring comfort right out of the package. The performance of the bike is unreal and certainly on par with the LT.

If I were going for a luxobarge, the Wing would be my #1 choice. I do believe BMW has an edge on sales and service overall but both bikes are so reliable that it doesn't enter into the equation too much. The WIng costs less and is similar. Get an ABS model.

#5 ·
Had one. Great bike. Powerful and smoothe. I couldn't get comfortable with the foot positioning though. Not the bike just me. I got too used to boards and forward controls. But if it fits ya, it can't be beat.

#6 ·
Have an 07 wing. Have to agree with previous post on foot position though hard to get used to compared to the leg stretch of the cruiser. Other that that no issues. Seat comfortable (both), handles well, great accel. Can answer any specific questions. you want. Oh and for going down the road blasting tunes, it is the only motorcycle system than can be heard clearly at highway speeds!
Mike

#7 ·
My fiance has a Yamaha Venture - the full touring package version of the Royal Star line.

He LOVES it. he's test driven the wing, and as others have stated...the foot/leg positioning is more of the days of old. straight under your hips instead of forward like our Vols.

I can attest to the absolute comfort of the back seat as a passenger to SD and back on the Venture. It was NICE, and the 4 spkr stereo system is AWESOME!

He also preferred the fact the Venture still LOOKS like a cruiser motorcycle, instead of a scooter on steroids :) {ducking for cover}

#8 ·
copilot said:
I'll still keep the Vol for around town and short (200 miles or so) daily rides. If anyone here has experience with the Goldwing, please chime in and let me know how it is. Thanks
I've had a '96 GL1500, an 04 GL1800 and now an 07 GL1800.

Last year we added the C50 to our stable (mainly for her - but I like to ride it too) and I added the DJ Drive to it last month.

The Wing is definitely the only choice in our household for two-up touring, but that may be in part due to extremely
comfy passenger accommodations on the Wing, compared to the pillion seat on the C50.

If you tend to ride in cooler temps, the Wing is great for electrically heated clothing - it has plenty of surplus alternator capacity.

Oh and if you do get a Wing, you'll wish it had a 6th gear - pity there is not a DJ Drive for it ;-)

My wife likes to kid me that the C50 sounds like a real motorcycle - instead of a car ;-)

#9 ·
wiseguydave has a goldwing.... (like Colleen said up there^^)

#11 ·
centurion said:
Have an 07 wing. Have to agree with previous post on foot position though hard to get used to compared to the leg stretch of the cruiser. Other that that no issues. Seat comfortable (both), handles well, great accel. Can answer any specific questions. you want. Oh and for going down the road blasting tunes, it is the only motorcycle system than can be heard clearly at highway speeds!
Mike
I beg to differ....but not to aruge..... The stereo on my venture can be heard quite clearly by anyone around me.

#12 ·
I have an '08 nav/comfort Wing. I love it. It handles better than anything I have ever ridden. I went to K'ville Wednesday morning in 35 degree temps with little discomfort. I'm 5'8" so I don't have a problem with the peg position. I've put 1700 miles on in 6 weeks. I might be able to help with specific questions..

Doug

#13 ·
I have a '93 GL1500. You can't beet the comfort. The sterio, electronic cruise controll. The acceleration from 50-60MPH to over 80 is freeking awsome. The other day I had a lady riding my arsss at 70MPH a 65MPH zone when she could she jumped over in the other lane and gunned it. OUt of curosity I wanted to see just how big a hurry she was in and in just a minute or so we were at over 100MPH then I backed down.

The guy I bought mine from had the heal toe shifter and floorboards for it and gave them to me. I have not installed or plan to. I do have some kind of highway boards that mount to the engine guards. The added weight made me a little concerned but the reverse makes manuevering out of the garage or backing up hill effortless.

To give you an idea of the comfort: I have a bulging disk at L4-L5 and the wing is a more comfortable commute than the F-150 is. I just lowered the air pressure in the rear suspension and barely feel the small bumps at all. Hopefully steroid injections will cure that next week.

The on board comunication system is nice to be able to talk to the passenger without yelling sometimes, however I miss not being told which lane I should be in. My wife likes to back seat drive at times LOL

The only drawback I have found is that when in traffic the intimidation factor of a cruiser is lost. It seems that folks arn't as skeered of a wing rider as they are a cruiser rider. I still ride with the same mentality as before, I cuss and yell and flip folks off that cut over in front of me, but when I was on the C-50 I would not see them again, now They just keep their distance.

Just my thoughts,
Chris

#14 ·
Hey, thanks a lot everyone for the info. I've been lurking on the Yamaha FJR, BMW and Goldwing forums for several weeks now. The FJR and BMW boards have a section devoted to complaints and problems with their bikes and those areas are pretty active. The GL1800 Forum doesn't even have that section and I can't find many complaints about the reliability, function or operation of the Goldwings. Your comments seem to reinforce my impression that, while nothing is perfect, there really are no big issues with the winds. Thanks again.

#15 ·
copilot said:
The GL1800 Forum doesn't even have that section and I can't find many complaints about the reliability, function or operation of the Goldwings..
Heh - go over to www.gl1800riders.com and do a search on "wobble"
You'll find thousands of matches ;-)

The 01s through 04s had frame weld issues which resulted in recalls and rewelding for models in those years. Nothing for the 05's onward so far.

The Honda CB radio is freakin expensive - and the only one that integrates perfectly with the handlebar controls. ($600 for the radio + $100 for the ant)

The wheels are uncoated aluminum - look at them wrong and they tarnish - and don't even look at the back wheels - usually get brake dust embedded in them.

Lots of folks either have their wheels powder coated or chromed to fix the issue once and for all.

For some reason, the GL1800's fans suck air in from the sides and blow it out the front - which means if you are riding about 11-12 MPH (slow traffic or in a parade) they can get VERY hot - although seldom boil over.

Some enterprising folk have reversed the fans to fix that issue.

Even with it's quirks - it's still a great bike, I just didn't want you thinking it was perfect ;-)

Jim

#16 ·
wehrd1 said:
My fiance has a Yamaha Venture - the full touring package version of the Royal Star line.

He LOVES it. he's test driven the wing, and as others have stated...the foot/leg positioning is more of the days of old. straight under your hips instead of forward like our Vols.

I can attest to the absolute comfort of the back seat as a passenger to SD and back on the Venture. It was NICE, and the 4 spkr stereo system is AWESOME!

He also preferred the fact the Venture still LOOKS like a cruiser motorcycle, instead of a scooter on steroids :) {ducking for cover}
QFT :lol: :lol: :lol:

#17 ·
I looked up wobble on the GL1800 site, it was a bunch of guys complaining about putting 12000 miles on a 8000 mile metzeler and complaining about a wobble. That and guys who've modded the front forks. I've never seen a wing wing rider complain about a wobble before...

#18 ·
Some people complain about wobble (pre05) when slowing through about 30mph or so. They relax the grip on the bars and they say it wobbles. WizAzz answer is dont take your hands off the bars at speed and you wont have the problem. Some have tried replacing bearings but the ones I know have gone back to original.
I agree the bike is not perfect- enough tupperware to have my own party. If anyone buys one, I would not recommend the heel toe shifter. I love the one on my bully but the one on the wing makes checking the coolant a stone cold xxxxx.

Mike

#19 ·
I am a wingman as well.
Wobbles are par for the course for wings of all ages. Take into account everything that affects the balance, the fork seals, the front and rear tire wear, the back shock stiffness, and you get a tiny* change in front fork angle. That's not good.
I 've got an GL1000 sitting out there in the garage now.
One of the first full dress Goldwings, it's a standard motorcycle with bolt-on fairing, hard bags and trunk.
And yes, I got that wobble too.
Not unusual for a 30 year old bike.
It's got a lot of wear, (sounds like hell at idle) but it friggin screams at full throttle.
I'd love to know for sure, but I think I'm getting the full 85 HP above 4000 rpm.
The time for rebuild and restoration draws near for it.

*(The kind of angle change that made those Kawasaki KZ-900 police bikes fatal...
That problem was tracked down to a bigger front tire, and heavier than stock front end weight distribution.
It induced the bike into a deceleration tank slapper that was barely controllable, even when you were expecting it.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.