Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Volusia 800 and was just wondering if the shrouds come off the stock pipes.
If so, what do the pipes look like without the shrouds?

I tried searching and could not find any.

·
Registered
624 Posts
ARe you talking about the heat shields or the muffler section?

The shields are welded onto the pipes. The mufflers come off, but they have a crossover that connects to the header pipe.

So unless you're willing to cut/grind/weld, the whole exhaust needs to be replaced.
Now, if you can cut/grind/weld, then there are examples on here of some really good exhaust mods.

·
Registered
624 Posts
When did they start welding them on?

Mine are attached via clamps welded to the shrouds and the raised sections are attached with screws.
I could have sworn the heat shields were welded, but I admit I haven't tried to take them apart either.

My bad it they aren't, now I'll have to check mine again cause its going to bug me. :bigoops:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The shiny bits on the exhaust have screws holding them on on mine...no sign of welds...made blacking the pipes easier. the shrouds themselves are attached (at least on my '04) via clamps which made shooting the backs and getting a good coat of stove paint on the pipes themselves easier.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The front shields are welded on. I just did my duals , I had cut the heat shields off then welded them back on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

I plan on wrapping my pipes anyways so I figured if the size was ok I would just go that route.
It appears that option is out the window.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks.

I plan on wrapping my pipes anyways so I figured if the size was ok I would just go that route.
It appears that option is out the window.
Why not remove the boot guards, the little shiny bits, then wrap with the heat shields on?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not remove the boot guards, the little shiny bits, then wrap with the heat shields on?
I figured it would look lumpy if you did that.

My plan is to make it a bobber soon anyways. I will just be on the lookout for some cheap used pipes.
Since I will be wrapping them anyways, scratches and dents won't matter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts