Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across these lowers and what interests me in them is these particular lowers (they call them middles) overlap the bottom of the windshield. Most lowers I've seen have no overlap so I'm thinking these may be more effective deflecting the wind.

As anyone tried these and if so how did you like them? My concern is the bottoms of the shields don't fasten to the bike anywhere and I'm wondering if they'll flex or vibrate in wind, and of course do they do the job?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I recently put on a very similar product from Memphis Shades that I bought on CruiserCustomizing.com. They look extremely similar to the middle chaps on the Air Chaps website, although the overlap is not quite as much as the Air Chaps.

Although I can't speak directly to the Air Chaps brand name, mine work extremely well. I have almost no more wind buffeting and the bike now feels extremely stable and rock solid around the 85mph mark (135 KPH up there). (I really haven't had the occasion to go any faster.)

I'd recommend them if your on the highway a fair bit.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
They look nice but like many folks I made my own lowers (they call them 'middle chaps') and they look very much like these including overlap with the windshield. They worked great and didn't vibrate and cost me less than $10 for the lexan, aluminum stock and bolts. These ones are quite pricey at $170 plus shipping.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although I can't speak directly to the Air Chaps brand name, mine work extremely well. I have almost no more wind buffeting and the bike now feels extremely stable and rock solid around the 85mph mark (135 KPH up there). (I really haven't had the occasion to go any faster.)

I'd recommend them if your on the highway a fair bit.
Thanks. Below 50 MPH the wind buffeting isn't too bad but anything above that gets annoying so if they do the job, wonderful.

They look nice but like many folks I made my own lowers (they call them 'middle chaps') and they look very much like these including overlap with the windshield. They worked great and didn't vibrate and cost me less than $10 for the lexan, aluminum stock and bolts. These ones are quite pricey at $170 plus shipping.
Good idea about making your own. Looking at their mounting instructions it shouldn't be too hard and doesn't require clamping to the forks. How thick should the Lexan be or is there only one thickness?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
... How thick should the Lexan be or is there only one thickness?
Mine were 1/4". Do a search here and you'll find lots of info and examples of homemade lowers.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suzuki VL800/C50 Upper Air Chaps

The same source states the middle Chaps are designed to work their Upper Air Chaps. I have Chrome Value Accessory Lowers and they work without the need of Upper Air Chaps. Do the Middle Chaps really need Upper Air Chaps in order to work well.

Chrome Air Deflectors, Suzuki Volusia VL800 / C50
The uppers could help I suppose, as would their lowers, but I'm sure using just the middles would make a difference like the others. Supposedly using all 3 is the most effective.

·
Registered
242 Posts
C50TinAB, I agree with Midnight on the cost effectiveness of those, I can spend $170 on something else
. They look great and will surely do the job for you. Take some time and consider your options of diy mods. Copy and paste pics you like into a file for that particular mod/purchase, then you will get many different views and strategies for making this happen your way, whether it be buying them or making them yourself. Plexi/lexian is cheap and can be cut to tailor your needs. Let us know how this turns for you.

During the summer I run without chaps on the bike. They tend to keep heat from my engine close to the bike, leg area, and it is uncomfortable for me.
By the way, thanks for the link/pics,
added to my collection for when this mod comes into play.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hrmmmm, Ok...so....you buy the lower kit to keep airflow from your legs, the middle to keep airflow off your knees, the uppers and a windshield to keep it off your face? Do they come with pimple creme, a pocket protector, a retainer and thick horn rimmed glasses if you buy em all? :biglaugh:

Seems overkill to me...I can understand wanting to reduce buffeting, I can understand wanting to keep the rain from soaking you to the bone, I can understand wanting to keep objects kicked up by other vehicles from nailin ya...but making such efforts to keep all airflow possible from hitting you? I don't get it. For about the same money you could probably go with a windshield and ATGATT with a full face helmet and achieve the same effect.

Ok I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
C50TinAB, I agree with Midnight on the cost effectiveness of those, I can spend $170 on something else
. They look great and will surely do the job for you. Take some time and consider your options of diy mods. Copy and paste pics you like into a file for that particular mod/purchase, then you will get many different views and strategies for making this happen your way, whether it be buying them or making them yourself. Plexi/lexian is cheap and can be cut to tailor your needs. Let us know how this turns for you.

During the summer I run without chaps on the bike. They tend to keep heat from my engine close to the bike, leg area, and it is uncomfortable for me.
By the way, thanks for the link/pics,
added to my collection for when this mod comes into play.
I haven't added anything to the bike. The only thing I've done is replace my half helmet with a Shoei Neotec which helped reduce the buffeting considerably.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Overlapping lowers primarily serve to reduce buffeting, as does an outboard wing on top of the main shield. I made overlapping lowers and they were amazingly effective.

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
Hrmmmm, Ok...so....you buy the lower kit to keep airflow from your legs, the middle to keep airflow off your knees, the uppers and a windshield to keep it off your face? Do they come with pimple creme, a pocket protector, a retainer and thick horn rimmed glasses if you buy em all? :biglaugh:
Too funny! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
242 Posts

Seems overkill to me...I can understand wanting to reduce buffeting, I can understand wanting to keep the rain from soaking you to the bone, I can understand wanting to keep objects kicked up by other vehicles from nailin ya...but making such efforts to keep all airflow possible from hitting you? I don't get it. For about the same money you could probably go with a windshield and ATGATT with a full face helmet and achieve the same effect.

Ok I'll shut up now.
u r dfinitlydisturbd, and have a good point. a little bouncing around doesn't bother me. The heat from the engine is a bother from the crashbar chaps I just put on and will be taking them off till cooler weather. I will be making chaps or wind breaker for the cooler weather later in the year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I came across these lowers and what interests me in them is these particular lowers (they call them middles) overlap the bottom of the windshield. Most lowers I've seen have no overlap so I'm thinking these may be more effective deflecting the wind.

As anyone tried these and if so how did you like them? My concern is the bottoms of the shields don't fasten to the bike anywhere and I'm wondering if they'll flex or vibrate in wind, and of course do they do the job?
Are these chrome pieces what we're talking about, as lowers?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts