Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really wanting to move up to 1500 Nomad, but buying from a private seller would involve me selling my c50 first. I find Nomads from dealers from time to time, and was wondering if anyone's ever traded their c50 in for another used bike. If so, what kind of trade-in value did you get? Of course, I'd strip the aftermarket parts off for individual sale first (mustang seat, highway bars, speakers, etc).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
134 Posts
Probably better off private party selling it. These bikes are going for around $4k at dealerships. If you traded in you would get less than half of that. It sucks but these bikes are not as high priced a pretty much any other bike in this same CC range.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yea trade in's are usually max 50% of what they sell it so expect about $2000 for your trade.
that being said, it's not easy selling our bikes, is what i've noticed. most people go big , go harley or go sport bikes.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I'd take a hit just trading in, but sometimes the hit is worth bypassing the headache and time involved of finding a private buyer, depending on what I'd get for a trade of course. I can't afford a HD, so no "going big" yet until my other vehicle is paid off :(

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I wish I had.

When I bought my first Honda VTX1800R, they offered me $3,000 for it. I decided I could get at least that much myself and put it up for sale. I made the mistake of letting my brother borrow the bike after I had a prospective buyer on the hook...he dumped it and I ended up taking $1,000 off the final sale price. I'd have been up $500 if I'd just traded it in.

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
I'm really wanting to move up to 1500 Nomad, but buying from a private seller would involve me selling my c50 first. I find Nomads from dealers from time to time, and was wondering if anyone's ever traded their c50 in for another used bike. If so, what kind of trade-in value did you get? Of course, I'd strip the aftermarket parts off for individual sale first (mustang seat, highway bars, speakers, etc).

The Farkles, add-ons and customization adds ZERO value to the bike when it comes time for resale. You could have ten grand invested in add-ons and it will still sell for the same price as a stock bike.

You will get between 50 and 65% of the 'blue book' value of your current bike if you trade it in towards a new one. The advantage you have is the equity works like a down payment and in some circumstances can reduce the amount of tax that you owe.

·
Registered
581 Posts
the equity works like a down payment and in some circumstances can reduce the amount of tax that you owe.
All other things being equal, I'd rather sell my bike to a deserving private party (cheap) than let the dealer make more profit...but that's a pretty compelling statement right there. With South Carolina's sales tax at 6% you're saving $60 for every $1000 you can offset the selling price with trade. For a relatively low buck used-bike transaction I still think I'd feel better selling my bike privately, but if we were talking about a $40,000 deal this info could carry a LOT of weight.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm about 4hrs from Myrtle. It's a 2005 C50 with 8778 miles (which will increase when we get outta the 20's in temp). It's been my main transportation to/from work since I bought it last year, but that's only 8 miles round trip lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Farkles, add-ons and customization adds ZERO value to the bike when it comes time for resale. You could have ten grand invested in add-ons and it will still sell for the same price as a stock bike.

You will get between 50 and 65% of the 'blue book' value of your current bike if you trade it in towards a new one. The advantage you have is the equity works like a down payment and in some circumstances can reduce the amount of tax that you owe.
yea, general consensus is when selling your bike, strip it back to stock an sell your aftermarket parts. this will ultimately net you more money.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Dealer offered me $1000 on my '07 with 70,000. I declined about 2 or 3 months later a deer jumped in front of me totaled it out , got 4,500 from insurance. Pd cash for an '03 with a grand left over .

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I would list it on your local craigslist and see what happens. Never know. I sold my 03 back in the summer for 3,250 and it had been totaled and repaired. Even if you sell it for 2,500, you would probably still be 500 ahead of what you would get on trade in, and then you could find you a 1600 nomad or similar. I know there is an 05 1600 nomad close to me on craigslist for 4,900.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Summer of 2012, I went to the Victory dealer and they quoted me $4k trade money for my 2006 C50c with 40k miles. Almost pulled the trigger on a 2013 Victory Boardwalk. Backed off the deal and kept the Boulevard and and now with 57k miles, I'd probably be lucky to get $3k at the dealer or PP.

·
Registered
844 Posts
A dealer offered me $600 for a 2005 C50 with 52000 miles. I took off the bars, seat. etc. and put all the stock back on. I sold it privately for $2200 and the parts on ebay for north of $700. I bought a 2004 VL800 LTD fully blinged out last Feb. with 4400 miles for $2700. I felt bad, the guy had lost his job and needed the money. It was and still looks like new. It was a first for me, I never come out ahead. ( I should have kept the seat !)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I traded in my old bike Suzuki 650 GSXF 2009 they gave me a great trade in (was at the Bike Show in Toronto) which allowed me to buy my bike brand new. We saved 13% on the tax of the trade in amount. I never thought we would buy new but this time but it worked out!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a 2008 C50, which I bought in 2010. I got about half of what I paid for the bike after owning it for 3 years.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
I traded my 05' C50 in 08' for an 05' 1500 Vulcan Classic. The C50 had a shade under 25K on it and the Vulcan had 3600+. I stripped almost all of the aftermarket stuff off the bike and sold most of it to one gent locally. The farkles got me $750 if I remember right and the dealer gave me $3800 for the bike. NADA value at the time for the bike was $4200. I figure it was an OK deal.

I have looked at other bikes recently and the value of the Vulcan as a trade in isn't very good.......so, anyone interested in a 1500 Vulcan with bags, trunk, fairing, etc, etc.......

·
Registered
581 Posts
Private seller
05 Vulcan Nomad 1600

A friend of mine called him and inquired about it. the seller said he would take 4,000 for it.
That's an unbelievable price for an '05 with only 8k miles.
I paid that much a year ago for my '04 1500 with 4 times the mileage, and thought I stole it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts