Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I'll be taking the bike on a toll road for the first time. I've heard that these can be pretty slick and tricky to navigate on two wheels. Any one have any sugestions or things to keep in mind to help keep the experience safe an hopefully uneventful? Both feet down? Walk the bike or is that asking for more problems? Lane position to avoid oil slicks?

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
never had any particular problems there, probably just treat it like a gas staion lot and watch out for slicks.

loo two says: don't forget to wear your helmet and keep your head down when you go under the swinging arm barricade! :lol:

carry your change or small bills somewhere you can get to them easy!!

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
mightydog said:
....carry your change or small bills somewhere you CANNOT get to them easy.....

Climb off the bike. Ask the toll booth operator what the charge for motorcycles is. When they tell you it is the same as cars ask if they have got that right since surely motorcycles should be charged less. When the operator says it is the same ask to see where it says that as you find it hard to believe. When the operator confirms that the fee is the same then you ask if there is a complaint form available. If there isn't ask for the address of the toll operator so you can write in. Take your gloves off and fumble for a pen in your pockets and then for a note pad. Tell the operator you can't hear them properly and take your time taking off your helmet and earplugs. Now pay the toll. Unfasten your jacket to get to your overpants. Unfasten your jacket to get to your pants. Fumble for your wallet and pay the toll. Now take your time fastening your overpants, jacket, reinstalling earplugs, putting on helmet and finally pulling on gloves. Wave to huge line of cagers behind like to say "stupid Tollboth wasting their time with bike riders" and ride off.

Hopefully before long motorcycles can get a no-fee ride through.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I only pass through one toll road/bridge regularly. They keep the oil slicks right in front of the booths cleaned up very well. I'm always looking for oil or transmission fluid when I stop at the booth though. Just slow down well before your stop, and have your money ready. :D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
CycleBiker said:
mightydog said:

Climb off the bike. Ask the toll booth operator what the charge for motorcycles is. When they tell you it is the same as cars ask if they have got that right since surely motorcycles should be charged less. When the operator says it is the same ask to see where it says that as you find it hard to believe. When the operator confirms that the fee is the same then you ask if there is a complaint form available. If there isn't ask for the address of the toll operator so you can write in. Take your gloves off and fumble for a pen in your pockets and then for a note pad. Tell the operator you can't hear them properly and take your time taking off your helmet and earplugs. Now pay the toll. Unfasten your jacket to get to your overpants. Unfasten your jacket to get to your pants. Fumble for your wallet and pay the toll. Now take your time fastening your overpants, jacket, reinstalling earplugs, putting on helmet and finally pulling on gloves. Wave to huge line of cagers behind like to say "stupid Tollboth wasting their time with bike riders" and ride off.

I like that, cagers already hate bikes for various reasons like many are to loud, ride to fast, zip through traffic, ride wheelies down the interstate, bikes can always find a parking space and usually it is very close to the establishments entrance, bikes can split lanes while the cager just sits there looking at the cage directly in front of them, and my favorite reason many cagers don’t like bikes is that bikers can put women with g-strings bikinis on the back of the bike that cause cargers to have accidents.
If the cagers are going to be mad at bikers why not make it worth the while and try to get more privileges.
Unfortunately for those out here the toll roads can be paid electronically at 80mph, but keep up the good fight out there we are with you.

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
CycleBiker said:
mightydog said:

my bad! :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
well

Get a smart tag or ezpass.

watch putting your feet down in the center. Where I live it's cement not asphalt and gets really slippery.

Oh take your time if using cash.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CycleBiker - Great Advice!

In all reality though it sounds like it shouldn't be too bad. I'll just keep my money easily reachable, slow down in advance, and be mindful of where I place my feet.

Thanks for the input everyone. I figure since it's all new to me it would be better to ask questions like this first instead of talking about a bad experience later.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
jason1gp said:
CycleBiker - Great Advice!

In all reality though it sounds like it shouldn't be too bad. I'll just keep my money easily reachable, slow down in advance, and be mindful of where I place my feet.

Thanks for the input everyone. I figure since it's all new to me it would be better to ask questions like this first instead of talking about a bad experience later.
You have the right idea. Just take your time and don't worry about rushing. Keep in the right tire track. The oil drippings are usually heavier in the middle. The other thing to remember is most important watch behide you to make sure the dumb-a$$ following is stopping and not fumbling for a dime.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Progress Report:

Pulling up to the entrance booth I took it slow, stopped in a tire track, unclipped my backpack waiststrap (because it was blocking my pocket), unzipped my pocket and put the toll ticket in my pocket. Zipped the pocket, clipped the backpack strap back on and pulled out. Took a few seconds but pretty streamlined.

Paying the toll wasn't so streamlined, and I had myself a bit of a chuckle as I decided to take a bit of CycleBiker's advice.

I pulled up, no one behind me, stopped and tried to unbuckle the waist strap and some how couldn't manage with one hand still on the clucth like I had earlier. I was still in gear so only had my right hand available. Went to shift to neutral and missed, which got me a bit flustered. I checked my mirrors again, saw no one behind me and grinned to myself...Taking my time I put down the side stand killing the engine, lifted my face mask, unstrapped both straps on my gloves, took off the gloves, unclipped the waist strap, unzipped the pocket, handed the man my ticket, waited to be told the amount, took out a bill from the wallet (even though I had exact change), took my change, zipped the pocket, clipped the strap, put the gloves on, strapped em up, stood up to stretch my legs and adjusted my leather pants, sat down, lifted the stand, started the bike, lowered my visor, nodded to the toll booth man, said have a good day, and proceeded. I must have spent at least a full minute there. It wasn't busy though, and only one car pulled up behind me at the end. So I didn't piss any one off, but it felt good to just relax and take my time, and chuckle as I thought about CycleBiker's advice.

Thanks everyone, I realize now it really wasn't much to be worried about. I can see myself investing in a tank bag though. I'll be making this trip once a month and I'll have the back pack on every time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Make sure to duck low when the gate comes down on your face. Don't ask me how I learned this valuable lesson!

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
Loo Two said:
Make sure to duck low when the gate comes down on your face. Don't ask me how I learned this valuable lesson!
:lol: that's what i was talkin' 'bout. :lol: probably the hardest laugh i got from that relay.

sounds like you done good, jason! great write-up!

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Jason, had to pay toll in Mass several times, quite an undertaking if it's cold and you have all that gear on and now have to find your quarter or whatever. I have a tank tuxedo where I can quickly put the ticket in and out and keep the change ahead of time in one of the side pockets.

Approaching the booth is nothing I ever spend a thought on - I ride in where car tires would go, usually no oil or so there (you have to get close to the window anyway. There's also no shame in pulling over in the plaza somewhere and get all your stuff together before riding up to the booth.

I do like the idea of making a scene at the booth as described above, problem is the attendant doesn't make the call on who pays and who doesn't and I would bet they don't pass this on to any decision making party anyway - they couldn't care less.

Good luck brother and enjoy toll-free Connecticut when you can - courtesy of our high taxes :wink:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I pay a minimum of 2 tolls every day,Monday to Friday. But I have an ez-pass in the trunk of my bike.

EZ-Pass express lanes are the best thing in toll collection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts