Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made my decision today by ordering new tires but I was interested in what some of you might think of my tire situation. I have 5700 miles on the tire with about .08" tread left. It's an 07 with the original tires on it in AZ. They say to replace such tires no matter what the tread is like. I took it to my dealer and he said, I see dry rot on the front. We didn't bother with the rear as I knew I wanted two new tires at that point. I just got home and took that attached picture.

So it's a mute point, but it does seem to give credit to the saying of replace your tires every 4-5 years no matter what. Notice the cracking along the horizontal groove above center in the picture.

What do some of you think - dangerous or just some cracking? I thought maybe this might help someone else.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
To me the question would be, "Do I feel lucky today?" It seems small, but with only two wheels on the road, I'd consider it dangerous because the rubber is obviously separating.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
There is cracking in the other groove shown in the picture as well. It is not as bad as some I've seen but it has a good start and with the remaining tread left, it's a good time to replace at the beginning of your riding season.

Ride with peace of mind and knowing that you don't have to worry about the tire condition for the rest of the year - except for pesky nails and road hazards - of course.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with those who have responded. Here's the scary part for me beside the cracks themselves. I watch my tires closely, I watch tire pressure religiously and I eyeball the tire tread every other ride at least. None of the cracks were apparent until I took a picture of one today. The cracks were either in the shadow of a groove or in bright sunlight etc so it didn't show up. I've even used a flashlight in the past. I bought the bike used but the original owner said they were original. I've been monitoring them due to age alone. Yet, I missed some cracking. So, it's a heads up for us all.

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
I've made my decision today by ordering new tires but I was interested in what some of you might think of my tire situation. I have 5700 miles on the tire with about .08" tread left. It's an 07 with the original tires on it in AZ. They say to replace such tires no matter what the tread is like. I took it to my dealer and he said, I see dry rot on the front. We didn't bother with the rear as I knew I wanted two new tires at that point. I just got home and took that attached picture.

So it's a mute point, but it does seem to give credit to the saying of replace your tires every 4-5 years no matter what. Notice the cracking along the horizontal groove above center in the picture.

What do some of you think - dangerous or just some cracking? I thought maybe this might help someone else.
Yes, continuing to ride on a weather damaged tire IS dangerous, regardless of how much tread you have left!!!

The cracking is because the emulsifiers, conditioners and anti-aging agents in the rubber are breaking down. It is from a combination of repeated heat cycles on the tire and environmental exposure. Ozone, UV and heat also act upon the rubber compound, weakening the bonds and making the rubber brittle.

Regardless of the cracking, the tire is 7 years old. It is WELL past its service life and should have been replaced 2 years ago.

Unless you have paid up your life insurance and really don't care about your surviving family, quit riding the bike and get new tires IMMEDIATELY...... It is literally a ticking time-bomb waiting to go off, with you in the saddle. And a blow-out on two wheels rarely ends well for the rider....

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
^^ What Skrap said!!!! People spends hundreds if not thousands of $$$ for fancy little accessories on their rides, yet neglect the most important parts of safe riding - tires! I would never cheap out on those; if in doubt, new ones!

·
Administrator
52,283 Posts

It's time to suspend those tires from a strong, mature, hardwood tree, using a good quality, hefty rope. 8)

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
First, you are well past the wear bars on the tread. The tire is cupped a bit and it has some delamination going on.

Your tires are pretty much the only thing between you and the almighty on the road. those tires do not have enough tread, and are not in good enough shape to protect you from heat, the combination of rarity and slickness from periodic rain and could delaminate fully without a lot of warning... at a mnimum leaving you stranded with a bike most likely on its side.

I like to replace my tires when the wear bars are even with ay part of the tire. Like some tires, that may not be over the center of the tread, these tires wore greater off the center of the tread (thats not a bad thing) but they have certainly had it.

SOmething to get used to along with some fine weather, you will be buying tires moreoften in Arizona because of the temp extremes. I normally get about 8000 miles from a tire. There's no way I'd see 8 if I lived in Arizona. Heat from he road strips rubber off the tire. However, this is good for traction. I'd rather buy more tires and have better traction :biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
20,425 Posts
my yearly goal is to try and put enough mileage on the bike to need to replace both tires...pretty much a given maintenance requirement somewhere in the course of every riding season for me. Like someone earlier said, its amazing how much some will spend for sound and appearance of their ride and then put themselves at risk with bad tires. Small reminder to those just taking their rides out for the start of a new riding season...check those air pressures...bike has been sitting..get into good habits early. Ride safe everyone and have a good riding season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts