Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum

Just wanting some advice/opinions from the more knowledgeable!

Just bought a 2010 c50, love the bike. I already installed a set of John's forward controls, these are great (especially being a tall guy 6,2). Just wanting some advice on a couple upgrades I want to look at:

- Footpegs instead of floorboards, wondering if anyone's done this? I find, because the floorboards are flat that it puts a bit of strain on my legs, footpegs may be a nicer angle, especially for longer rides. Has anyone done this (especially with forward controls already installed)? Any advice would be appreciated. I've seen a bunch of kits on ebay but these are also a forward control upgrade. Ideally looking for something I could use with the forward control kit already installed.

- The seat. I find the stock seat after a while gives me a sore/numb lower back, anyone else find this? I've been looking at seat upgrades and the consensus seems to be the Mustang seats seem to be the way to go. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Super Moderator
20,484 Posts
welcome to the family...yeah the seat sux to say the least...many here have changed with most doing the mustang route...it will set you higher and closer to the tank tho...another option is the Ultimate...it sits like the oem seat that you probably now have but with the comfort of a musdtang...you'll find better luck locating a mustang if you go the used route and I believe someone here is looking to sell theirs...keep an eye on the for sale section as well as ebay...be aware the c50 changed at some point and not all mustangs will fit yours...I.m sure someone will come along and tell you what year they changed...ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My '08 is strictly a solo ride -- my wife refuses to ride, and won't let me take my girlfriend along -- so I replaced the pillion with a luggage rack and a driver's backrest, then bought an Airhawk pad. It went from being a bike that required a stop and walk-around every hour to one that I can ride in comfort all day at a cost under half of what a replacement seat would have been.

·
Super Moderator
25,226 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I would suggest that you ride with the floorboards for a bit before you try to swap them out. They give you a lot more possibilities for foot positioning than pegs do. I think that if you ride with them for a month or so you'll learn to appreciate them. If you still want to swap them out, you can probably find someone on here with pegs that would be willing to do a trade with you.

As for the seat, yes, a Mustang seems to be the most popular, but they ain't cheap. You might consider an AirHawk seat cushion and a Grasshopper backrest. You can probably get both for less than $200, and once I got them on my C50 it was like sitting on a lazy boy. OK, maybe not quite that, but it was a LOT more comfortable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
First of all...
Welcome! :cool:

I would suggest that you ride with the floorboards for a bit before you try to swap them out.
I totally agree. Don't rush into it.
My last bike had pegs. My current bike, an '09 C-50, has floorboards. At first I didn't care for them. I liked the way pegs would allow me to get my feet down quickly and I didn't like the way the heel shifter got in the way of me sliding my feet back to the ground either...like I was used to. It wasn't long before I adapted and I don't even think about it now. What really sold me on the floorboards was long trips/touring. Floorboards were a lot more comfortable and less tiring in the long run. My boots didn't slide down after my legs were tired after long hours on the road like they'd do with pegs, either.
I've become a fan.

If you need some stretching room on longer rides, you might want to look into adding highway pegs rather than eliminating the floorboards.

I can't do a comparison on the C50 with and without a Mustang seat. Mine had one installed by of previous owner.
I can tell you this, though...that Mustang seat is darn comfortable. I have degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. If I'm comfortable on that Mustang seat, that's really saying something.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
First. Welcome to the VR Forum. Great place with wonderful people and lots of advice.

Great recommendations on everything said here! I have a Mustang seat (bought used from a VR member) with an Airhawk pad and it is night and day difference. Grasshopper backrest also (big thumbs up). Try adjusting your floorboards before you jettison them. Some you can angle a bit and that helps. Also, if you are tall, you may want to consider a set of handlebar extensions/risers. I put a set of 4" risers with a 1" pull back and that made a world of difference in my riding position and comfort. (Look for Baron risers). If you have highway/crash bars, look into getting a set of pegs for them. That will allow you to stretch your legs out on long rides.

Some other upgrades you might consider... Lights! You can never have too many of them front and back. Better to be seen and annoying then dark and dead. Stebel airhorn...130dB of "Wake the F up and pay attention!" Vololights license plate frame...do a Google or Amazon search. They make a BIG difference on how cars follow you.

Lastly, remember...chrome makes your bike go faster and NEVER ask about oil on this forum, unless you want to be banned for life. LOL

Ride Safe & Often!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input!

Some really great tips, I think I'll stick with the floorboards for a bit and see if I can adjust the angle to face upwards slightly more, originally had a highway bar with pegs (which was amazing) but had to part with it to fit the forward control kit. I'll see if I can mod the mounts to fit around the controls. I'm a fan of the rocker shifter too after using it for a while, don't want to part with that unless I have to.

The airhawks look great, didn't even know they existed! I'll start with one of them and see if it improves the comfort enough, might try to snag a new seat down the track when one pops up. The airhawk will add a bit of height too which may help with the foot positioning.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! Really appreciate

Stay upright!

·
Registered
44 Posts
All good advice. I will add one thing which is if you do change something keep the original parts around in case you want to go back. I had a mustang seat and it didn’t work for me personally, so I put the stock seat back on. It was a while ago but think it moved me forward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, new to the forum

Just bought a 2010 c50, love the bike. I already installed a set of John's forward controls, these are great (especially being a tall guy 6,2). Just wanting some advice on a couple upgrades I want to look at:

- Footpegs instead of floorboards, wondering if anyone's done this? I find, because the floorboards are flat that it puts a bit of strain on my legs, footpegs may be a nicer angle, especially for longer rides. Has anyone done this (especially with forward controls already installed)? Any advice would be appreciated. I've seen a bunch of kits on ebay but these are also a forward control upgrade. Ideally looking for something I could use with the forward control kit already installed.

- The seat. I find the stock seat after a while gives me a sore/numb lower back, anyone else find this? I've been looking at seat upgrades and the consensus seems to be the Mustang seats seem to be the way to go. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Chris
Airhawk is the only way to go. I rode my 09 50special from Wis. to Col. with one and never had to stop because of a sore backside ( I’m 68).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, new to the forum

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Chris,
I have a used but like new Mustang Seat. Model 76061 this will fit 09-18 C50.This is a driver and rear passenger. Also included is a Grasshopper quick on/off driver backrest. If interested drop me an E-mail. [email protected]
$300.00 plus shipping.
Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Chris,
I have a used but like new Mustang Seat. Model 76061 this will fit 09-18 C50.This is a driver and rear passenger. Also included is a Grasshopper quick on/off driver backrest. If interested drop me an E-mail. [email protected]
$300.00 plus shipping.
Thanks,
Pete
THAT sounds like a crazy good deal! I totaled my 09 C50 and picked up an 07 loaded with Suzuki Bags, rack, windshield, crash bar, and a set of Mustang seats with pilot backrest, and the seat is the best I have ever ridden on. Was told by shop that sold it for the owner on consignment that the mustang seat set alone was worth about $800; so $300 sounds like a must have.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Welcome! Seats changed in 2009. You can try a Mustang at a reasonable cost, sell it if it doesn't suit you. My 05 C50 was my first bike without foot pegs. I quite liked the floor boards for the reasons others have mentioned. I also liked the heel toe shifter as missing second rarely happend. Enoy the ride! Consider changing your profile to include City and State or Province. Always nice to see where folks are from. Easier to get together with members that might be nearby for rides or socializing (when it is safe!)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I would suggest that you ride with the floorboards for a bit before you try to swap them out. They give you a lot more possibilities for foot positioning than pegs do. I think that if you ride with them for a month or so you'll learn to appreciate them. If you still want to swap them out, you can probably find someone on here with pegs that would be willing to do a trade with you.

As for the seat, yes, a Mustang seems to be the most popular, but they ain't cheap. You might consider an AirHawk seat cushion and a Grasshopper backrest. You can probably get both for less than $200, and once I got them on my C50 it was like sitting on a lazy boy. OK, maybe not quite that, but it was a LOT more comfortable.
I second this on the floorboards. In 6'1 and considered forward controls at first but after a few rides I really liked the boards as they were. Lots of room to scoot my feet around. Never feel cramped. Some highway pegs would be nice though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts