Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...afficienados out there?

I just happened to be driving to work and someone has a for sale sign on a '82 cb900 supersport, new rear rubber, rebuilt starter, racing clutch and is asking $500. very nice red/black paint, original seat in good condition. runs & drives (will be test riding later today)

I don't know miles on odo.

can someone clue me in to whether this is a good price on this bike?

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
is it this one?

I never riden a 900 but had a cb750....a bit older and rode quite a few cb750s.

They are top heavy but VERY fun and they are quick. Not as nimble in the twisties as your voulusia but they are fun and sound SICK with the right pipes. They are a bit top heavy too.

Just keep in mind that if it needs a bunch of work done then it will cost you $$$$$$$ and time to scrounge up the parts.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toe Knee said:
$500 for ANY bike that runs is a good price!
well was what i was kinda thinking...but then someone asked me if it was a 'F' (supersport) or the 'C' (custom) and that it made a diff.

diffs are = blacked out engine,different cams,semi standard riding position - is a low seat high bar version silver engine smaller cams and carbs - has a dual range transmission - a high and low set

which is kinda 'greek' to me. ;)

made them explain diffs, and if i was lookin to get a $1000 bike, it wouldn't be an '82 anything... lol

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toe Knee said:
is it this one?

I never riden a 900 but had a cb750....a bit older and rode quite a few cb750s.

They are top heavy but VERY fun and they are quick. Not as nimble in the twisties as your voulusia but they are fun and sound SICK with the right pipes. They are a bit top heavy too.

Just keep in mind that if it needs a bunch of work done then it will cost you $$$$$$$ and time to scrounge up the parts.

That would be it....even seems to be same paint. the guy said its LOUD, so apparently it has a/m pipes on it as well.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
Here's the custom. I personaly like the style better on this one but you can't kill these things. as long as you keep up with oil changes and sync the carbs every now and again-they WILL last.

I used to L O V E these bikes because when I was a kid, they where real big in the bike magazines.

good luck, take pictures!!!!!!!

(the custom)

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eh. i'm actually sitting here talking myself out of it....

i had an '83 suz. 550 L (custom) that was top heavy enuf for me... was in heaven when i got my low slung Marauder and now my Vol.

it would just be a 2nd bike, and i don't need it.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
AWWWWW.

That was awhile ago that you had the top heavy bike, right? You are a better rider now and there is nothing wrong with a second bike.

Plus, we need to see pictures of it now that you mentioned it!!!!!

:lol:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The price is great if it runs well. It will sound wicked with aftermarket pipes. I had '77 750four and had to tiptoe because of my inseam. Yep, this bike is a bit top heavy. But, it was a screamer in its day! :wink:

If it runs at that price it could be bought and kept as an antique. Who knows what you might get someday. I bet it won't be 500 dollars but probably a lot more.

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
Who cares? for $500, buy it and ride the daylights out of it, then chop it down and use it for bizarre, high performance motorcycle experiments... If it has fresh tires, especially. All of those bikes are peppy enough for you to get some serious kicks.

I'll come out and get it for $500. Currently, I may potentially be negotiating for one of my dream bikes, a 1976 900DOHC Z-1 Kawasaki. A bike I've wanted since forever, we'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
yeah if you dont buy it, ive got a trailer and a tank ful of gas..... id love to have another 900, im a big fan of the old CB's

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nope. went & looked @ lunch. It runs, didn't ride it, it's LOUD!

kinda cobbled together, but not too bad. Front left turn signal is held on arm by black electrical tape... is overall dusty due to being stored, but it popped right off.

if the guy would clean it up really well, he'd move it alot quicker. I didn't walk around it, Cort did...and he chose to pass on it.

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
I was just looking for a 900 C when I bought the Concours. Even the F would have been an option. They do dress up pretty nice and are great bikes to customize if you don't want them stock. There's a whole club out there devoted to them bikes.
They are not all that top heavy. It's a term for when it's parked I think. My Concours when parked and a full tank (7.5 gallons) is top heavy but swings through any tight turn like a champ.
For $500 it could have been a good investment bike for turn around sale to a vintage bike nut.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
wehrd1 said:
nope. went & looked @ lunch. It runs, didn't ride it, it's LOUD!

kinda cobbled together, but not too bad. Front left turn signal is held on arm by black electrical tape... is overall dusty due to being stored, but it popped right off.

if the guy would clean it up really well, he'd move it alot quicker. I didn't walk around it, Cort did...and he chose to pass on it.
Be honest with the people Colleen. It was a major piece of SH!T. I wouldn't give 50 cents for it - let alont $500.00. Hell - I was pissed that I even made the trip over there to see it. It would take ALOT of cleaning up to make it worth ANYONE'S money......I don't care how much you like vintage bikes. And aftermarket pipes???? Try NO PIPES AT ALL. The paint was peeling off of the gas tank, and not just ONE turning signal.....but ALL of them were held on with electrical tape. The headlight bucket was all bent to hell and it looked like the headlight was just sortof "sitting" in there........not attached.

It had 31000 miles on it......apparently ALL of them laying on it's side.

But if any of you guys really are interested, and you have the patience to make it worth a plug nickel - let me know and I'll pm the guy's number to you.

I wasn't expecting alot for $500.00 - but I wasn't expecting a total P.O.S. either. I suppose if I had the patience and the ambition to work on a bike I might have given it half a chance....maybe even made him an offer.........a LOW LOW offer......but quite honestly - the minute I laid eyes on it, I was pissed that I had wasted my gas making the trip.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^ like I said...i didn't get off your bike to look...you did. you'd know better the condition than me.

when I stated a/m pipes, i was going by what he told you about it being loud, and you telling me thats what he said. at the time, i had no clue it was because it didn't have a muffler on it at all. ;)

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
wehrd1 said:
^^^ like I said...i didn't get off your bike to look...you did. you'd know better the condition than me.

when I stated a/m pipes, i was going by what he told you about it being loud, and you telling me thats what he said. at the time, i had no clue it was because it didn't have a muffler on it at all. ;)
Well from now on get it right..........butthead.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts