Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where I can find the valve adjustment instructions for an 05? Or provide a link? I plan on using the jpaige method for adjusting, just wondering if there's a step-by-step procedure I can print. Any help would be great. Is this done the same as the volusia inruction on the Rusk site?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks v01rider! When I try downloading the link it opens but doesn't download. Maybe the site is having a problem. Is it the same for 05's as the volusia? Is there another link?

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
no problem for me. Even got the point of printing it. is you adobe reader up to date?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I get a GoDaddy page. It says Rusks.com in one little area but there is nothing to download. I want to try my first valve job today if I can get a tutorial. Does anyone have a link to another "how to" or some ideas for me to get to the Rusks? I've searched, tried this..
http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=83294&highlight=valve+adjustment+procedure
and will continue to search. Maybe it's something about my browser that is blocking things.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Stoney: There is a lot of confusion about finding the right crankshaft position to adjust your valves. Several of the guys have inadvertantly positioned the crank 360 degrees wrong and screwed up their valve adjustments. Here's a fool proof way to NOT screw up the crankshaft position:

1. Remove valve cover of the two valves you are checking
2. Remove crankshaft bolt cover (10mm Allan Wrench) and insert 17mm socket, short extension, and break-over bar (ratchet will do but a break-over bar is better)
3. Remove spark plugs to ease turning over crankshaft
4. While observing exposed valves, turn crankshaft CCW. As you turn the crank you will see the subject valves push down (open) then come up (close). Note when the valves are fully down (open). The cam follower is on the "toe" of the cam lobe. Now turn the crankshaft approximately 360 degrees (camshaft 180 degrees). The follower is now on the "heel" of the cam lobe and the valve(s) is fully and completely closed.
5. Check/Adjust valve clearance
6. Replace valve cover and go to the next set of valves.
7. Repeat until all 4 sets of valves have been checked/adjusted

With this method you can totally ignore the timing marks on the crankshaft and eliminate any question about whether or not you are on the compression stroke. You don't have to be exact on the 360 degree rotation, just close, the heel of the cam is relatively large. Yes, you will be rotating the crankshaft 4 times but it's a no-brainer.

I use feeler gauges but others have used the so-called Jpaige (sp?)method (1/4 or 1/8th turn). IMHO, feeler gauges are more accurate when properly used but Jpaige method is easier for some. Whatever method you use, take your time, don't drop anything down in the engine and do it with the engine overnight cold.

Good Luck!

Bob

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
1948man said:
I get a GoDaddy page. It says Rusks.com in one little area but there is nothing to download. I want to try my first valve job today if I can get a tutorial. Does anyone have a link to another "how to" or some ideas for me to get to the Rusks? I've searched, tried this..
http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=83294&highlight=valve+adjustment+procedure
and will continue to search. Maybe it's something about my browser that is blocking things.
BriMan was the owner of TheRusks (Brian Rusk) the link you posted is to the same instructions that were on TheRusks.com

·
Registered
695 Posts
For some reason when I click that link I either get a message like "page not found" or a GoDaddy page that say TheRusk.com in one area but has nothing else about the rusks or mods or bike maintenance. I find no place on either page to download anything or even a list of rusks type info. Just a bunch of ad's etc. I did, however find an old file on my PC for the valve adjustment that I had previously downloaded and I printed it out just to be safe. It would be nice, however to be able to access that Rusks stuff. I wonder if it has something do with AVG Searchshield or firefox. I think I'm going to try Internet Explorer just to see.

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
The link you posted http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=83294 is TheRusks stuff, BriMan's site (TheRusks.com) is long gone

Are you saying that when you scroll down in the link you posted to the Valve Adjustment link and click on it you are getting the error(becuase it works fine for me)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts