Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've decided that instead of getting 12 inch mini-apes, strectching everything on my 01 to fit, and then being unhappy becasue they aren't tall enough I am just going to ge the 16's I want, pay for longer everything and be happy!
With that said, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it'd cost to do so? Would I need to by new grips too? Any info is appriciated, the more details the better. Also, any idea how much it would cost for the dealer to do it for me?
Thanks VR!

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
If you are getting new handlebars IMO it would be wise to keep stock handlebar intact with stock grips so if you want to go back to stock or sell stock you can have advantage of stock grips already in place.

That being said yes get a new grips for new handlebars. There are some flame Kury grips on ebay for under $50.

All set up with 16" apes, all new cables and grips should be no more than $275 if you buy it from Phatperformanceparts.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Keeping stock grips on the stock bars is a good idea too.
How many inches over stock should I order my: Brake lines? Clutch Cable? Throttle cables? for 16 inch apes on Volusia??
Besides those 3 things, new grips, and new bars, is there anyting else I am going to need?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed some 16" apes, I ordered the kong bar cable set from baron's but they sent me the wrong year I have a 2004 VL800 and they sent me cables for '05-'08 C50... The clutch cable worked out OK but I had to do some routing because the cable was about 2" too long. Couldn't use the throttle cables.... Went to the local bike shop and ordered new cables.. after installing all the hardware back on my new bars I was only 6" short on the throttle and front brake line. I didn't like the way that the wires from the stitches laid so I ordered some chrome wire loom and I'm gonna extend the wires and route them in a more natural looking way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
16's on mine for years

te only thing you REALLY need is a longet brake line. if you reroute the clutch and throttle cables you should be fine. i even used the stock grips. all is well. check out my galley and see if it looks good for ya. it didnt cost mre than 100 bucks. the break line was about 50 from the local stealer ,i got braided stainless, and they work great. mine is actually too long. i got it wraped around somethings so its not all flappin around. i think its 54 inch. best way is to get your bars on and use a piece of rope from your brake lever to the front break and measure that to get the closest length. Well hope this helps out. APES ROCK. Good Luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just put 13"s on mine. went very smooth didn't have to replace anything. pic's in my gallery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts