Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a brunch with some fiends, and on the way back I couldn't take my right leg of the foot peg! Had to pull real hard, almost dropped the bike coming to a stop! WTF!

Imagine my surprise when I looked down, and saw a piece of chewing gum stuck on the foot peg... I must have stepped into a fresh one on the sidewalk on the way to dinner, and after the bike sat in the sun for an hour, the chewing gum got real soft an real sticky, duct tape kinda sticky... Had a fun time cleaning it off the soft foot peg rubber and the boot sole.

Man... a piece of chewing gum can kill you on a motorcycle... MSF School better add it to their riders' course... :surprise:

Super Moderator
Wow! Of all the hazards we have to look out for, I would have never thought chewing gum was one of them. That's funked up. :blackeye:

Registered
I stepped on a melting tar snake at a stop light once. When I went to pull my foot off the peg, it stuck like glue. Scary moment for sure.

Reactions: scorpion46

Super Moderator
I can see that. I hate those damn tar snakes. Whoever at the DOT decided to use that crap should have to ride a motorcycle for a full year before they are allowed to use it anywhere else.

I did have my shoelace get hung up on my peg one time when I first started riding. I was sure that was what was going to be the reason in this case until I got to the reveal. It was a scary moment and taught me real quick that I should tuck in my laces before I get on the bike.

Registered
Last Thursday my front wheel got hung up in one of those pavement joints that got really wide. They don't use tack coat on cold joints when they pave. That got the old heart pounding but my buddy behind me got a good laugh.

Registered
I had a similar occurrence.

Gassing up, I stepped in something. I don't know what it was. It was just...something. (shudder)

It was orang-ish and tacky as hell. My boot was almost glued to the peg and I had to pull my foot off each time I stopped.

I scraped off as much as I could, but it was damned resilient. It was a week or so before weather and wear wore it away.

The blob.

Super Moderator
glad they are getting rid of toll booths...nothing worse than pulling up to the booth to pay the toll, put your foot down to reach into your pocket and feel your foot sliding from oil/anti freeze that had leaked from cars...

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Very few activities make you keep your focus like riding a motorcycle on a daily basis. Somewhere on the forum I've read 101 ways to drop a bike (it was more like 150+ ways). Somebody should add getting glued to your bike/roadway as one :)

Registered
I had a shoe lace get stuck once too. I always wear boots, even recreationally. One time they came untied and the laces did a full loop around the peg. I went to put my foot down and nothing happened. Now I do a wrap around and double knot.

Registered
SD has an interesting way of laying tar snakes....while the tar is still wet and sticky they lay a "type" of paper over it. With time and weather the excess paper decomposes/goes away but the part that is over the tar stays intact. When the tar heats up in the sun it doesn't get sticky because of the "paper" film on top. Works quite well.

Super Moderator
SD has an interesting way of laying tar snakes....while the tar is still wet and sticky they lay a "type" of paper over it. With time and weather the excess paper decomposes/goes away but the part that is over the tar stays intact. When the tar heats up in the sun it doesn't get sticky because of the "paper" film on top. Works quite well.
How does the "paper" react to getting wet? I would think that water and oil might sit on it and make them slippery as snot in a rain storm.

The Village Idiot
+1 on shoe laces and +2 on tar snakes.

About a week ago, I did not have my stand down all the way I guess. I got off the bike to shut the garage door (my small bay does not have an opener). I heard the distinct sound of metal scraping on cement, turn around and she was heading down. Amazing how freaking heavy it is when you aren't sitting on it. I managed to keep her up, but that was a sickening feeling.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
+1 on shoe laces and +2 on tar snakes.

About a week ago, I did not have my stand down all the way I guess. I got off the bike to shut the garage door (my small bay does not have an opener). I heard the distinct sound of metal scraping on cement, turn around and she was heading down. Amazing how freaking heavy it is when you aren't sitting on it. I managed to keep her up, but that was a sickening feeling.
Wow, must have been tough...

The Village Idiot
The adrenaline saved my behind. Then, there is always the embarassment of such a stupid mistake as I looked around to see if my neighbors were watching my idiocy.

Registered
How does the "paper" react to getting wet? I would think that water and oil might sit on it and make them slippery as snot in a rain storm.
Doesn't seem to do anything..........some of the older secondary roads (county maintained) don't use that paper and they are always interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts