Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was two years ago, April 1st 2012, that I first threw a leg over a motorcycle. I am an older guy, mid 60’s, and never rode when I was a younger man. In fact, I never had any desire to learn to ride and actually thought riding was foolish when you factor in the safety and comfort issues. So, why is there a C50 in the garage you ask?

It started as an April fool’s joke. I don’t know what you call it in your home, but the good wife and I call it good natured grumbling. When charged with a household chore or errand I don’t want to do, I always grumble “Keep it up woman….just keep it up and I will get a tattoo, buy a motorcycle and blow this joint.” Well, she finally called my bluff. She knows that you have to stay sharp and can’t back down in these kind of situations and stay married for 40 years. She did some research and signed me up for a MSF course scheduled to start on April 1st. She gave me the registration as an early April fool’s joke.

“Really?” I asked. “So do I get a coupon for the tattoo parlor too?” I sounded disappointed when no coupon was forthcoming. I too know you have to stay sharp and can’t back down in these kind of situations and stay married for 40 years.

So, I went on-line and paid the course fee. I read the course outline and requirements, went to the DMV and passed the written motorcycle test to get a learners permit, and bought a pair of boots and gloves.

Well, cut to the chase, after the two day course I was hooked. The first bike, a used S40, went on the road a few days later. After a year and 5,000 miles, the S40 was sold. In March of 2013 the C50 went into the garage. Over 7,000 miles went on it last year and many more to come this year.

So now when the wife pushes just a little too far I grumble, “Keep it up woman, just keep it up and I will still get that tattoo and trade in the C50 on a new Triumph Thunderbird LT and blow this joint.”
Thanks for listening

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Love the story! Thanks for posting

·
The Village Idiot
5,018 Posts
Excellent!
Never thought about my riding anniversary. I think this summer will be 5 years. I will have to figure out somehow...

sent from this small hand held talkie thingy.

·
Super Moderator
20,481 Posts
guess its never too late to find new pleasures...enjoy and have a safe riding season...and btw..its not an "older mid 60's"...consider it "seasoned mid 60's".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts