Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so went to NC couple of weekends ago help move the daughter from Knoxville, Tn to Flat Rock...spent sunday riding the Blue Ridge Parkway for a spell and made a pit stop here...

next trip there to visit her will be on the mc...can't wait.

·
Super Moderator
29,169 Posts
Looks like a great time. Let me know when you come down on the MC, I'm always up for a ride on the BRP. If I can make it there, it would be cool to ride with you. Maybe we can have a mini VR Rally.

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do...would be great to meet you.

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
Chappy and I rode down there several years ago. Stopped at the same spot. Love that road, just have to stay alert for all the wildlife!
Looking good my friend!

Reactions: DCinCT

·
Registered
21,926 Posts
Nice picture. Wife and I rode it when we were staying in Gatlinburg on vacation a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx Sean...hope all is well your way...and yes...lots of wildlife...lots of bikes to...aside from the mc's...and for some reason folks refuse to just go around them...must be woman drivers...should be limited to driving on that road certain hours of the day...

beez...guy in the pic is Jens latest...she's known him for 10 years from kayaking but recently started a relationshiop w/him...met him when I visited her back in Jan...liked him...kinda what you see is what you get...like me, a simpleton,,,but really cares about her...seemed genuine...that was on her turf then and initial meet so was looking forward to spending time w/him again on his turf...we hit it off good and this time around was no different...think he got a kick out of the fact I told him "while she'll always be my little girl, she can be a pain in the a$$ too and I'll tell her to admit she's wrong when indeed she is which can be pretty often...but she does have a good heart so be patient and understanding w/her"..watching him around her, I hope the realtionship goes somewhere. Lives in Flat Rock..NC...close to the BRP and some good whitewater rivers...best of both worlds...

fred,,,was a good place for a pit stop for anyone cruising the BRP...get to strtch the legs and see some pretty scenery, then again riding the BRP you can't help but continue to see pretty scenery around every turn

·
Registered
14 Posts
grew up riding/driving on the BRP and Skyline Drive, back then we didn't have to pay to ride it though.

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can't remember much about the skyline drive when I rode it many moons ago other than to watch out for the pd's looking for speeders...could have beeen a toll tho...what I do remember about the brp was the wildlife everywhere. Then again, it reaklly should be considered their turf, not any type of motor vehivle using it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
grew up riding/driving on the BRP and Skyline Drive, back then we didn't have to pay to ride it though.
I've never paid a cent to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway. I think you might be thinking about some other highway?

Never been on the Skyline Drive.

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
toll might have been on the skyline.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never paid a cent to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway. I think you might be thinking about some other highway?

Never been on the Skyline Drive.
not on the Skyway or BRP, but Skyline Dr is like $25-35 now.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Rui and I rode a bunch of the BRP on the way to FL and thought, "gee, this is like riding in NH, but slow."

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah...takes forever but then again that was mc riding is suppose to be about...kickin back and enjoying the ride.

·
Administrator
29,718 Posts
yeah...takes forever but then again that was mc riding is suppose to be about...kickin back and enjoying the ride.
Because of the route... the trick is to hit a weekday and don’t use your brakes. Keep up,a persistent 50mph... you can make really good time. I do use the BRP a lot as a travel road... it’s all about average speed. I always take a day to smell the roses though, below Asheville the BRP is just stunning. There is a great hotel and an even better restaurant just south of Asheville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
Because of the route... the trick is to hit a weekday and don’t use your brakes. Keep up,a persistent 50mph... you can make really good time. I do use the BRP a lot as a travel road... it’s all about average speed. I always take a day to smell the roses though, below Asheville the BRP is just stunning. There is a great hotel and an even better restaurant just south of Asheville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you like to camp, just south of Hwy 19 going towards Cherokee, there's a road to the right, Balsam Mountain Rd. The road turns to gravel a few miles in and takes you to Cherokee. I've ridden it down to Cherokee on the Volusia. I wouldn't attempt it uphill without a dual sport adventure bike. About halfway through the paved section is Mike High Campground. The absolute best campground I've ever stayed in. We used to go 2-3 times a year for a decade or more. Nice secluded campsites with not a bad view from any of them. Some are better than others, but all are good. There's hot showers! Something you don't normally get in that area. Balsam Mountain Campground is also at the point where the road turns to gravel, but no hot showers.

Elk are regular visitors to Mile High.

I don't know when if ever I'll get to go again. I'm an only child with a single father, and I'm his caregiver. So you guys go enjoy Mile High Campground for me. I'm living vicariously through others now.

Mile High Campground Office
(828) 269-2945

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanx for the camping tip..I"ll pass the info on to my daughter,,,she loves to camp and I'm sure she'll be happy to check it out.

Good to see you posting Mr. E...hope all is well your way...been riding much?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Because of the route... the trick is to hit a weekday and don’t use your brakes. Keep up,a persistent 50mph...
That was probably our issue, we hit it on a Sunday and maybe got up to about 25...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts