Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hyper charger on my c50. What do I use to clean the filter. I know I have to re oil it after I clean but I don't know what to clean it with first.

Thanks
Guys-

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If you have a K&N (reusable) filter, get a K&N filter cleaning kit. It has soap and oil to re-oil the filter after it dries from cleaning.

If it is another brand of reusable filter the K&N filter may also work... HOWEVER, I wouldn't recommend using compressed air to blow out the filter. Usable filter should dry naturally. Just shake out the excess water and dry in the sun. It doesn't take very long. If you use compressed air, you run the risk of blowing a hole in the membrane or separating a seam.

Just my $0.02

Ken

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I wholeheartedly second everything Bikerboy just said.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Buy a new one. LOL

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^
What Summer Girl said. I believe the stock filter is a standard paper filter. It's not worth trying to clean it... much more effective and efficient to purchase a new one.

Maybe this would be the time to invest in a reusable K&N... better airflow and cost savings in the future.

Ken

·
Registered
128 Posts
I checked the local dealer today... $33 for new filter. He had one in stock

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
The OEM comes with the black plastic backing piece. Does the K&N filter have that too? Or do you have to find a way to remove the OEM from the backing. I think it is glued on the backing plate.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

SU-8001

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Thanks for the picture, Box. I wonder why the back plate is part of the filter? Why couldn't they just have the filter separate. Cheaper.

BTW, how is your leg now? All well, ready to ride? Hope so.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Mort said:
Thanks for the picture, Box. I wonder why the back plate is part of the filter? Why couldn't they just have the filter separate. Cheaper.

BTW, how is your leg now? All well, ready to ride? Hope so.
prolly to keep a good seal.

Not yet. Can stand an walk w/ a crutch and a brace but still get warnning pain twinges.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Well when I bought a K&N air filter people came right out warning me that the already lean-running C50 with a high-flow air filter would certainly need a fuel management unit to keep the gas/air mixture correct and not run any leaner than we already do ... I'm sure that is still a consideration? I kept the stock filter and sold the K&N...

Cheers,
Moe

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Good point Moe... I didn't mention that in my previous comment...

YES, this would be a good time to get a reusable K&N filter, but YES, you will need to re-jet (carbureted VOLs) or remap (FI C50s) for the increased airflow.

YES, the bike already runs a little lean out of the box. Changing the stock intake setup will require fuel delivery/increase changes as well.

Good point Moe!

·
Registered
548 Posts
You won't have any problem changing air filters on the FI models. They can adjust to the slight difference in air pressure.

Now if you put a hyper-charger on then you may have an issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts