Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Quick question.

When you take the OEM air filter out and then install a K&N high flow air filter, is there anything else you need to do to improve air intake. I installed the K&N last summer and do not appear to be getting any more airflow than I did with the OEM filter.

My Suzuki dealer said when they dyno'd a bike with K&N versus OEM, the OEM actually had more air flow.

Did I miss a step?

NCOMNG

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The OEM filter housing has small inlets on the back side. To get more air you would have to enlarge those holes.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
The amount of air allowed "into" the engine is effected by the amount of air allowed "out"of the engine, so changing the air filter to a less restrictive one will allow a small increase in air flow but the stock exhaust will only allow so much air out of the engine. If you want to greatly increase air flow (ie performance) you must also open up the exhaust side. Then you need to re-adjust the fuel air mixture so that the engine has the proper mixture. Without changing the exhaust and fuel mixture the only benefit to a K&N air filter is that they are re-usable and therefore cheaper than changing a stock air filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Duffy,

I have a C50.

I have Jardine Slash Cuts, and an FI2000 on it also. I had FI2000 problems and had to have Cobra Replace it. While waiting on the replacement it ran excellently for a month without the FI2000. So when I got the new FI2000 I left it at default settings and it runs like a mongoose. The reason I asked the question is I noticed a lot of people are using the FI2000 and have the settings way richer than I have mine. So I thought I must have left a step out.

NCOMNG

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I think most folks (particularly Volusia owners) have lean running bikes, but my C50 sure seems to run rich and that's after removing "all" of the guts in the mufflers and adding 12" glass packs (still using the same manifold pipes). When it comes time to replace the stock air filter I will replace it with a K&N (they say that no adjustment is necessary when using their filters). I'll check plugs and if necessary, get a Power Commander.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ten Four Duffy.....I also agree on the power commander. Luv my C50. Great Bike. Iffen I did all over again I would do the Power Commander.

NCOMNG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Upgrade for the M50?

I can't find a K&N for the m50, but the stock air cleaner inlet will still restrict airflow. Does anyone have an inexpensive solution?

I already have Cruizers and a Cobra Fi2000. I don't think I need the controller until I can increase incoming air volume.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts