Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more time if you all dont mind, please. Have debaffled and drilled mickey in my 05 C50. Like the sound but have two questions. Does anyone know , for sure, that doing this does not harm the valves in any way? Also if and when I can scrape the $$$ together, in the future , would consider aftermarket pipes. I know there has been a lot of info here on this subject, but I need to know if just installing the pipes with no change of the air filter, will the bike run ok without the need to remap, or buy a processor? Im not real mechanically inclined. I know I can install the pipes, but if I dont need the filter and processor, or a dealer remap, I dont want to shell out any more $$ then I have to. Not looking for speed just that nice loud sound Ive been reading so much about with the Cobras or Jardines. Guess basically I need to be sure I can just install the pipes, and that will be ok? As always, I appreciate all the help and commorodity here on this great site. Ride safe. Doug

·
Registered
615 Posts
You don't need to re-map if only changing pipes.The stock EFI can handle any change without re-mapping. If you change the air filter to a hi-flow filter you would want to re-map.

·
Administrator
51,640 Posts
skynyrd fan said:
One more time if you all dont mind, please. Have debaffled and drilled mickey in my 05 C50. Like the sound but have two questions. Does anyone know , for sure, that doing this does not harm the valves in any way? Also if and when I can scrape the $$$ together, in the future , would consider aftermarket pipes. I know there has been a lot of info here on this subject, but I need to know if just installing the pipes with no change of the air filter, will the bike run ok without the need to remap, or buy a processor? Im not real mechanically inclined. I know I can install the pipes, but if I dont need the filter and processor, or a dealer remap, I dont want to shell out any more $$ then I have to. Not looking for speed just that nice loud sound Ive been reading so much about with the Cobras or Jardines. Guess basically I need to be sure I can just install the pipes, and that will be ok? As always, I appreciate all the help and commorodity here on this great site. Ride safe. Doug
ANY mods to the exhaust or filter system (de-mickey or new pipes included) take an already lean condition to an increased lean condition.

You may or may not have problems later on with the machine.

My advice to you is to go ahead and get some nice pipes, install a freeer breathing air filter of some kind, buy the fuel processor, and have the bike properly mapped and tuned.

This way You will know for a fact that You will run rich enough to prevent engine failures.

Why do 1 thing, and not finish the job? Best of Luck on the Mods!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
+1 with psycomind. Do upgrades and changes properly, not half-baked. You're rolling the dice on messing up an engine for the sake of a few hundred dollars. Now I know a few hundred may not always be that easy to come by (trust me, I know!)... But if that's the case, save your pennies 'til you have enough to do it correctly. It's the old "pay me now or pay me later" theory... and it applies heavily here.

Hope I didn't sound too harsh; not trying to flame you. Truly, just trying to save you from making any mistakes.

Now, to address the title of your thread: aftermarket pipes for the c50? What year? If it's a '05-'06 model C50, then you can research the Hard Krome, Jardine, Cobra and Vance & Hines. I'm sure there are others, but those are the Big 4. Also, depending on what you're looking for in your aftermarket pipes will focus your search. Do you want 2:2's? 2:1's? Removable baffles? Welded-in baffles? or ??? Lots of choices out there, so give us a bit more of what you're specifically looking for in a pipe and we'll steer you in that direction!

Best,

PS- I saw Skynyrd here in CA just a few months before they crashed. Sad, sad day, but was glad I got to see them before...

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
I put V&H Straighshots on and no fuel processer. Seems to run fine after disabling the pair valve.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nope, short and sweet has nothing to do with it. Long informative posts are fine as long as you are civil and not nasty about, but it appears you may be figuring that out.

·
Administrator
51,640 Posts
beezer said:
I put V&H Straighshots on and no fuel processer. Seems to run fine after disabling the pair valve.
Well Beez, you know that some engines run at the rich end of a parameter, and some in between; others maybe way too lean.

I won't tell someone to do something I know could be risky.

Really, it's none of My biz if someone wants to change the sound of their machine. I just advise what I know will protect their machine.

I like pipes too. Only reason that I have not installed any yet, is that My engine runs so damn good, that I don't wanna mess with it.

The older engine with carbs is easier to deal with, mixture wise, and almost anything goes on them.

I know 2 people who de-mickeyed, and later bought pipes anyway, cause they do look and sound better. The one guy ended up trading in his bike, and wished that He had not moded his pipes, as the dealer cut $$$$ from his trade. He tried to trade with Me, (V&H pipes) for$400. + My stock pipes. I told Him NoNo. Incidentally, He had the M50.

That's My reasoning behind what I say. I'm not against any mods. Just hate to see guys get burnt when they go in for Warranty Service and the dealer tells them the mods cancel the warranty.

I worked in a cycle place and saw that stuff happen, hence, I basically try to warn/enlighten riders about that. Good Luck with your bike! You're an "OLD" Pro! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
psycomind said:
beezer said:
Well Beez, you know that some engines run at the rich end of a parameter, and some in between; others maybe way too lean.

I won't tell someone to do something I know could be risky.

Really, it's none of My biz if someone wants to change the sound of their machine. I just advise what I know will protect their machine.

I like pipes too. Only reason that I have not installed any yet, is that My engine runs so damn good, that I don't wanna mess with it.

The older engine with carbs is easier to deal with, mixture wise, and almost anything goes on them.

I know 2 people who de-mickeyed, and later bought pipes anyway, cause they do look and sound better. The one guy ended up trading in his bike, and wished that He had not moded his pipes, as the dealer cut $$$$ from his trade. He tried to trade with Me, (V&H pipes) for$400. + My stock pipes. I told Him NoNo. Incidentally, He had the M50.

That's My reasoning behind what I say. I'm not against any mods. Just hate to see guys get burnt when they go in for Warranty Service and the dealer tells them the mods cancel the warranty.

I worked in a cycle place and saw that stuff happen, hence, I basically try to warn/enlighten riders about that. Good Luck with your bike! You're an "OLD" Pro! :wink:
Thanks for the advise but if there is an inkling of a problem those stock pipes are going right back on and it's outahere

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Dude don't start a flame war! If you got personal issues send him a PM. Leave the thread for informational posts only please.

Bounce55 said:
Nope, short and sweet has nothing to do with it. Long informative posts are fine as long as you are civil and not nasty about, but it appears you may be figuring that out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Daryl,
Saw them the summer before the crash, and several times since with brother Johnny. Always a rockin good time. Doug

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure really want I want. Wish there was a way to get some sound bytes I really like the way it sounds now without baffles and mickey drilled, just nervous after reading Luckys info. Doug

·
Registered
280 Posts
There are a number of great performing, affordable aftermarket pipes out there. Give me a budget to work with (Between $150-500) and I will find you a set that will perform well on your bike.

If you like, I will even assist you in the sale of your stock pipes by listing them in my eBay store so you can get some money back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wish someone would explain to me how changing anything to do with the exhaust would effect the lean or rich condition of an engine.The only 2 ways I have ever known to change the combustion mix in a 4 cycle engine is to change the fuel to air ratio coming into the cyclinder on the intake stroke,at which time the exhaust valves are closed.

When I use to race dirt bikes in the late 60s and early 70s we use to mess with the expansion chambers on our 2 stroke bikes all the time and that would effect the mixture to a small extent.

I then started running door slammers on the 1/4 mile and ran every kind of exhaust you can think of.The only thing I ever saw was if you ran header pipes to short (less than about 16 ins) and had a lean mix you could burn the exhaust valve and or seat.This was do to the pipes being to short to help scavenge the exhaust gas form the valve area.However the pipes on the C50 are well over that lenght.

If this was say a factory stock 351w in a mustang(which I ran several different years 69,70,71 I know for a fact the only change I would see by opening up the exhaust would be about 2% in horsepower and a like amount in tork seen on dynos and a slightly cooler exhaust temp which means now I could pour the fuel to it.So back to the intake mixture.

If you want to see a real performance gain you would have to put more gas in the motor which also means you have to provide a way for the burnt gas to get out.

Starting at the exhaust system will just give you more noise,if you want preform ace you have to do both.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Although your therory is down right.... right, it's a heck of a lot different with the motorcycles of today. I have gained almost 18hp once just by switching mufflers on a bagger and adjusting the jets. (On a dyno run.)

·
Administrator
51,640 Posts
skynyrd fan said:
Not sure really want I want. Wish there was a way to get some sound bytes I really like the way it sounds now without baffles and mickey drilled, just nervous after reading Luckys info. Doug
If I remember correctly, there were some sound wavs (I think) on Briman's site. It had with and without mod factory pipes, and maybe some aftermarket pipes too!

I'll try to find them too!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts