Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I haven't had my 05' C50 long, just popped open my air cleaner yesterday to make it easier to handle the flange bolts when installing my "new to me" V&H Cruzers. I noticed this lil bigger, I have a K&n filter. Is this some sort of a stock replacement? Or is it the performance intake everyone says I'll have to get a programmer/fuel module to run? I don't have any sort of programmer or anything of that nature on the bike and it seems to run fine as I bought it this way. Just wondering if maybe I need to get one or could there have been some sort I a one and done fuel mapping they did at the time of install? Any help would be appreciated. ImageUploadedByMO Free1395754307.125128.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
324 Posts
The fact you have fuel injection on your bike might save you.
The previous owner of my 05, drilled out the airbox and did an honest abe exhaust mod on my bike and the OEM chip compensated for it.
If the yellow light doesn't come on, you're probably OK.
I would plan on getting a chip when you can though just to be safe and prevent a mixture that's too lean.
Someone will chime in here shortly if I'm wrong so keep checking here.

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
If you are also adding the pipes, you WILL!!!!!!!!!! need a fuel processor. The combination of the K&N filter and the pipes will make your bike wicked lean, which WILL cause internal damage due to overheating of the cylinder head.

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
The fact you have fuel injection on your bike might save you.
The previous owner of my 05, drilled out the airbox and did an honest abe exhaust mod on my bike and the OEM chip compensated for it.
If the yellow light doesn't come on, you're probably OK.
I would plan on getting a chip when you can though just to be safe and prevent a mixture that's too lean.
Someone will chime in here shortly if I'm wrong so keep checking here.
The OEM fuel map cannot compensate for the additional volume of air as you have claimed above. With the mods you are running now, your bike is lean and you are actually producing LESS power than you would if the bike were stock. I believe the last time someone dynoed their bike with a set-up like yours, they lost 4 hp. Not to mention, you are also running stupid lean and run the risk of damaging your upper cylinder from excessive heat.

The stock ECU is a very simple 32 bit system that can only compensate within its pre-programmed parameters. You too would benefit from a fuel processor as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Told you someone smarter than me would chime in.
Question.
If the OEM can't compensate for the additional air, would the yellow light come on, or is it that simple?
Thanks.

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
No. The bike will not give you any warning or indication of the lean condition that you've caused. It will adjust the best it can, within its program limitations, but it is incapable of learning a new map. You need a fuel processor for that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
Yes, it would be cheaper. And the bike will run better too..... People buy into the whole 'more air = more power' marketing speak that K&N likes to spew. What they don't realize is they're actually reducing the power that the engine produces because the high-flow filter throws the stock fuel map into the rubbish bin. Not to mention, the K&N does a shite job of actually filtering the incoming air compared to the more restrictive (and better constructed) OEM paper filter.....

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I would take a look at my plugs and see how they are actually burning before I got too excited.

I've got aftermarket air and exhaust and have my fuel processor set just above the default (oem) setting because with the processor (Cobra) my plugs were black.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It depends on the mfr. Take a look at that link I posted above for what a V&H FuelPak looks like. Basically a little box with a wire harness that runs to the injectors. Also, it doesn't have to be installed under the seat. There are several places it could be mounted on the bike: seat, compartment on the right (for CA emissions can), key-locked storage area on the left, etc....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am running a Cobra FI2000R with cobra straight Drag pipes and a self fabricated external air box extension with a high flow filter. The FI2000R is potted in silicone because it sits under my bobber seat for quick access and I change it often. It does actually allow you to adjust the fuel map/ratio. I have verified this with an air/fuel ratio meter in the pipes. Problem is, there is no fuel map that is gonna be perfect every day, every place you go. That said- you can gain some performance as well as loose some but without the ability to change the fuel curve....... and the experience, don't mess with it, you will always loose. I have been tuning engines for years and the hype is just that. Wanna go quicker???? Change the gear ratio and never touch the motor, same for top end. Filters only make a real difference with the proper tuning, and at or around the 50hp level you might as well put stickers on to make it faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts