Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering... does anybody else experience this effect? After sitting for a long period (over the winter/last summer while on holidays) my bike seams to build up a lot of compression. So much it won't turn over. I removed the plugs and it turns over easy. Reinstall them and I have to jump it with a car. After it starts its fine until it sits again for over a month.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
452 Posts
I was wondering... does anybody else experience this effect? After sitting for a long period (over the winter/last summer while on holidays) my bike seams to build up a lot of compression. So much it won't turn over.

It is not additional compression. The volume of the cylinders and the length of the stroke don't change so the compression ratio is the same. Have your battery load tested. Since you state it starts with a jump, your battery is most likely failing.

Good hunting and keep us posted

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
It is not additional compression. The volume of the cylinders and the length of the stroke don't change so the compression ratio is the same. Have your battery load tested. Since you state it starts with a jump, your battery is most likely failing.

Good hunting and keep us posted
Engines probably rusted up or what he said. ^

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
Engines probably rusted up or what he said. ^
What they said. Either internal corrosion or your battery is on the way out....

·
Registered
795 Posts
if it's carbureted it could be hydrostatic fuel lock from a carburetor that needs to be rebuilt. The comment about needing to remove the spark plugs is what made me think of this, I've seen this happen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do believe I have solved the problem. Corrosion build up around the terminals of the starting solenoid was providing a so-so connection, which was good enough to start it once going but, not providing a good enough connection to cold start the engine after sitting for a long while. The engine isn't rusted. I put fogging oil in the cylinders before storage. I cleaned the starting solenoid and put a fresh charge into the battery. Now it fires right up. Thanks for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts