Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
DCT owner, here.

There are numerous modes available, including manual. The DCT defaults to a fairly economical mode that changes gears silly-early. You can change to other modes that, happily, feel more "right" about when they shift.

I know the DCT isn't everybody's cup of tea, but it's really a darned good system overall.
All I can say is the sales rep suggested I use the paddle shifter in manual. I told him why bother with a DCT then, I may as well go to the manual shifter. I will say the DCT handles much better on my friend's Goldlwing he let me test ride. I did ride a Pan America which was an interesting ride and had quite a bit of get up an go. I have yet to find a V-Strom to test out. Interestingly enough, I have had three people I personally know swear by the V-Strom. Well, the hunt is still on for me.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I did learn one thing today. I don't want to trade my Triumph. When I don't ride it for a couple weeks, I forget how easy it is to ride. How nice it handles around town. And the number of compliments I get on it, everywhere I park it. It's just unique enough, it catches peoples attention. A customer, coming out of the Honda dealership, sealed the deal for me. He said "you know if you trade it, you will never be able to replace it"..... He was correct.... So I wont.... Looks like we're gonna be a 3 bike family. :p

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Kind of ironic, since they were designed by 5 foot tall Japanese engineers.
Yeah, I said Americans. Should have said most humans, across the planet, aren't 6'3'' with a 34 inch inseam.:confused:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Here ya go, especially since you're a Triumph fan.

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Here ya go, especially since you're a Triumph fan.

My local Triumph dealer doesn't show one of these in their list of available bikes. Possibly a special order deal? I've never, at least as far as I can remember, seen a new or used one for sale In my area. I have seen some older Tigers for sale here and there, but nothing recently.

·
Registered
68 Posts
5'11''-- 31'' inseam. KLR 650 is too tall for me. Or I would already own one. I think the African can be lowered to fit me. Possibly.:D
At 5'11" you definitely tall enough for a klr650, but you won't be able to flat foot on both feet. That's normal for a lot of riders in motocross/off road. 🤷

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Or on a horsey!!!o_O

·
Premium Member
27,210 Posts
I took the Africa Twin for a long test ride. I walked away unimpressed. It’s big, and it’s awkward. It’s a purpose built bike. Didn’t give it a second look after the test ride.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I took the Africa Twin for a long test ride. I walked away unimpressed. It’s big, and it’s awkward. It’s a purpose built bike. Didn’t give it a second look after the test ride.
What is its purpose?

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
It’s a large off-road adventure bike. Think unsupported Baja 1000.
There are strong rumors in Honda-land that a sport-touring bike, based on the same power plant, is in the works. Possible release in 2022. If you're curious, search the web for Honda NT1100.

Thing is, can Honda deliver what it designs?

We're 8 months in to the release of the Rebel 1100, and if you are fortunate and can actually find a copy of the bike to buy, you're staring down a wait of many months more for OEM add-ons, like bags and windshields. Honda's got the same supply pipeline issues as so many other companies, large and small.

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have decided it's too late in the season to buy another bike. Lets see what comes along next year. Possibly someone, (Jap bike), will come up with a great duel purpose that fits me.:cool:

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have decided it's too late in the season to buy another bike. Lets see what comes along next year. Possibly someone, (Jap bike), will come up with a great duel purpose that fits me.:cool:
No love for the DL650? I know others have mentioned it. Maybe the Kaw Versys 650LT? And then there's also the Yamaha 900 or 700, both are great.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
No love for the DL650? I know others have mentioned it. Maybe the Kaw Versys 650LT? And then there's also the Yamaha 900 or 700, both are great.
Maby the 700 yam. The others are basically sport tourers not enough dirt. And I have read mixed reviews on the 900 yam. But I haven't been on one. The 700 yam is hard to find used.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts