Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about selling my Triumph. I enjoy the Harley more, even though it's a little harder to haul around town. But also thinking about a dual purpose. Looked at the new KLR 650. But also have my eye on a 2017 Africa Twin at my local dealer.

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
How tall are you, Nate?

The seat height of the Africa Twin is a deal-killer for me. Otherwise I might own one already.

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Super Moderator
30,491 Posts
Don't rule out the KTM Duke line until you ride one. Great hooligan bikes with lots of torque.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm thinking about selling my Triumph. I enjoy the Harley more, even though it's a little harder to haul around town. But also thinking about a duel purpose. Looked at the new KLR 650. But also have my eye on a 2017 Africa Twin at my local dealer.
I did a test ride on a 2021 model with DCT. One thing I did not like was the DCT went from neutral to 6th gear in less than 2000 RPMs. The engine just is not big enough to handle the low speed without the feeling of engine lugging. The other thing that was wierd for me, is the cruise control switch on the right side was too far away for my hand to activate without letting off the throttle. That is my 2 cents and I opted not to buy one.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How tall are you, Nate?

The seat height of the Africa Twin is a deal-killer for me. Otherwise I might own one already.
5'11''-- 31'' inseam. KLR 650 is too tall for me. Or I would already own one. I think the African can be lowered to fit me. Possibly.:D

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
I did a test ride on a 2021 model with DCT. One thing I did not like was the DCT went from neutral to 6th gear in less than 2000 RPMs. The engine just is not big enough to handle the low speed without the feeling of engine lugging. The other thing that was wierd for me, is the cruise control switch on the right side was too far away for my hand to activate without letting off the throttle. That is my 2 cents and I opted not to buy one.
DCT owner, here.

There are numerous modes available, including manual. The DCT defaults to a fairly economical mode that changes gears silly-early. You can change to other modes that, happily, feel more "right" about when they shift.

I know the DCT isn't everybody's cup of tea, but it's really a darned good system overall.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't rule out the KTM Duke line until you ride one. Great hooligan bikes with lots of torque.
Yep. I might just get one of those 390's. It would probably give me my dirt bike fix I'm looking for. And be a lot lighter to drag around......Naaa...... go big or go home. :p

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
629 Posts
HD Pan America.

It has ride height adjustment. When you stop, the suspension lowers. When you start moving, it raises back up to ride height.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DCT owner, here.

There are numerous modes available, including manual. The DCT defaults to a fairly economical mode that changes gears silly-early. You can change to other modes that, happily, feel more "right" about when they shift.

I know the DCT isn't everybody's cup of tea, but it's really a darned good system overall.
If I came across a used one like the 2017 I'm looking at, I would like to ride it just to compare.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HD Pan America.

It has ride height adjustment. When you stop, the suspension lowers. When you start moving, it raises back up to ride height.
I've already got one money sucking Harley, don't think I can afford two.:oops: Did I say that out loud?:p

• Haha

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
If I came across a used one like the 2017 I'm looking at, I would like to ride it just to compare.
If you do, ask the seller to show you where the button is to change modes. I think the AT has three, plus manual.

·
Super Moderator
30,491 Posts
Yep. I might just get one of those 390's. It would probably give me my dirt bike fix I'm looking for. And be a lot lighter to drag around......Naaa...... go big or go home. :p
I've got a 390 in the garage. It's stupid fun around town and gets great gas mileage, but it sucks over 60 mph. If you want to go big, the 1290 Super Duke is a beast.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a 390 in the garage. It's stupid fun around town and gets great gas mileage, but it sucks over 60 mph. If you want to go big, the 1290 Super Duke is a beast.
LoL. Believe it or not I've got a 2016 KTM Super Adventure, spotted. For the exact same price as the Africa. Has the 1290 engine.

·
Registered
20,696 Posts
Ron and I test rode the Africa Twin. It is a very capable adventure bike. We both rode the DCT and hated it. If you go AT, avoid the at... (see what I did there?) :)

The manual transmission let's you control things a lot more seamlessly. I liked the power, the suspension and the torque. Like Chris said, you need some long legs.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Who wouldn't love to try out one of those new HD's for a few months or (maybe years? :D)..... But I want to keep this project under 10k if possible. I haven't seen any used Pan Am's yet. But if I do.:p

HD Pan America.

I've already got one money sucking Harley, don't think I can afford two.:oops: Did I say that out loud?:p

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
We both rode the DCT and hated it....

The manual transmission let's you control things a lot more seamlessly.
De gustibus. I didn't really like the dual-clutch transmission, either, for about the first 2 days. Then I started to figure out how to get it to do what I wanted, and how to use the various ride modes to their best advantage.

Now I don't like the DCT, I love it.

Anyway, that's me. You do you. And please pardon the thread-jack.

·
Registered
20,696 Posts
No worries. It ruined the ride for me. It almost felt like I was riding a scooter, instead of a motorcycle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our local HD dealer can't keep the Pan Am in stock, they come in, they get bought.
There is a huge difference between the KLR and Africa Twin, have you considered a Vstrom, 650 or 1000, I've had two of each, both nice fire/forest road/blacktop bikes.
They even use the same oil filter as the C50, if you have any of those around. I see some pretty nicely outfitted Vstroms on craigslist under 5K, easy to ride and bulletproof.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well........Just got back from the Honda Dealer. He made me a good offer on my Triumph. The price is right on the Africa........And the damned thing is taller than the KLR. Id have to lower it at least two inches to ride it. And three inches to really be comfortable. That ruins its ground clearance. So looks like I'm looking at something like the Vstrom. Don't these guys realize most Americans aren't 6'3'' with a 34 inch inseam.:mad::mad::mad:

Our local HD dealer can't keep the Pan Am in stock, they come in, they get bought.
There is a huge difference between the KLR and Africa Twin, have you considered a Vstrom, 650 or 1000, I've had two of each, both nice fire/forest road/blacktop bikes.
They even use the same oil filter as the C50, if you have any of those around. I see some pretty nicely outfitted Vstroms on craigslist under 5K, easy to ride and bulletproof.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts