Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A really quick question: Am about to glue some fresh rubber pads onto my floorboards. These were inexpensive floorboards, and the rubber on one came off while I was riding in the rain one day. I bought replacement pads, and am getting ready to (1) grind the bare floorboard surface a little to give the glue something to adhere to, and (2) glue on the rubber. BUT what is the best adhesive to use for this? Silicone, or Gorilla Glue?

·
Administrator
52,283 Posts
Any weatherstrip adhesive, like TroyAK stated.
Locktite, 3M, or Permatex brand.......they are all fantastic weatherstrip adhesives.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
++++++ on contact cement

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Make sure both the metal and the rubber are very clean before applying the adhesive. I'd use something like denatured alcohol to clean both surfaces first.

·
Administrator
16,300 Posts
I like a good silicone when gluing rubber. Sometimes glue will harden and become brittle with age, and adverse conditions - silicone stays flexible and will remain watertight.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
+1 on the cleaning solvent before you start. The metal not only should be roughed up, it has to be as clean as possible. I used Automotive GooP on my floorboard rubbers and they stayed on really well. I know Advance autoparts carries it but it should also be available at virtually any hardware or auto store.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good cleaning and Contact Cement is how I reglued one of mine on. It stuck for years without and issue... probably still stuck with the bike's current owner!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts