Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Volusia 800 Blue/Gray
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I purchased my 2004 Volusia used early this spring, I have added a wireless charger cell phone holder and small soft bags to carry my lunch in my daily commute. However, next on my list was to improve the up front lighting for riding our country roads early in the morning since I really would like to see Bambi before he is in my lane. This past weekend, I added some NiLight Sideshooter LED cube light which I mounted on the front of the windshield (high and wide) with some brackets I fabricated out of channel aluminum, using two pieces per bracket to allow some movement for lateral aiming. Install went well (took about 4 hours which included the fabrication of the brackets) and overall I am pleased, except I believe I should have used a larger size channel as the range of movement is less than I expected. As you can see from the picture, the lights are still slightly outboard and they are at the extent of their ability to move inboard. I have yet to test them on the road (it’s been raining every morning this week) to see if I am happy with the aiming or if I see too much of the ditch. If I feel they still need to be moved inboard, I will either come up with a fix for the brackets I have or make new ones with larger channel. All in, it has cost me $79 for the lights and about $20 for the bracket supplies. I chose these particular lights because they have a daytime running lights setting and flood/spot setting.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
32,937 Posts
Those look like the game warden may be ticketing you for spotlighting. Hopefully you've got them aimed properly. The only thing worse than a cager not seeing you is a cager not being able to see at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look like the game warden may be ticketing you for spotlighting. Hopefully you've got them aimed properly. The only thing worse than a cager not seeing you is a cager not being able to see at all.
LOL, Yeah, I never claimed to be an engineer. I think the photo makes them look worse than they are but since they are very bright, I have no intention of having the flood/spot light on when there is oncoming. In any case, if the alignment is unacceptable, I will address it poste haste.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Just an FYI: The C50 charging system produces just 325 watts at 5000 rpm. Outfitting the bike with too much power draw from auxiliary lights and charge ports can lead to a dead battery while you are riding as the charging system cannot keep up with load demand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an FYI: The C50 charging system produces just 325 watts at 5000 rpm. Outfitting the bike with too much power draw from auxiliary lights and charge ports can lead to a dead battery while you are riding as the charging system cannot keep up with load demand.
Advice noted. Lights are a combined 26W (LED) and the cell phone charger is 15 watts. From what I have read here and elsewhere, 41 watts should be well under the available power from the alternator. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
There is no alternator, a stator, rectifier and voltage regulator. The factory lighting chews up something on the order of 145watts, ignitor 50 watts each which really doesn't leave much of a budget for powering accessories and charging the battery.

·
Super Moderator
25,382 Posts
ok...so I was using for my spots on my litebar when I had my 04 Volusia, 2 Napa spot lites that were meant for tractors...basicly for the vibration issues that were causing the oem bulbs to burn out too quickly...believe they were around 35w a piece...never had any issues and did eventually install a charger for phone/mp3...would think he would be within the safe range but my knowledge on anything mechanical is not worthy of being considered sound or reliable advice...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since I purchased my 2004 Volusia used early this spring, I have added a wireless charger cell phone holder and small soft bags to carry my lunch in my daily commute. However, next on my list was to improve the up front lighting for riding our country roads early in the morning since I really would like to see Bambi before he is in my lane. This past weekend, I added some NiLight Sideshooter LED cube light which I mounted on the front of the windshield (high and wide) with some brackets I fabricated out of channel aluminum, using two pieces per bracket to allow some movement for lateral aiming. Install went well (took about 4 hours which included the fabrication of the brackets) and overall I am pleased, except I believe I should have used a larger size channel as the range of movement is less than I expected. As you can see from the picture, the lights are still slightly outboard and they are at the extent of their ability to move inboard. I have yet to test them on the road (it’s been raining every morning this week) to see if I am happy with the aiming or if I see too much of the ditch. If I feel they still need to be moved inboard, I will either come up with a fix for the brackets I have or make new ones with larger channel. All in, it has cost me $79 for the lights and about $20 for the bracket supplies. I chose these particular lights because they have a daytime running lights setting and flood/spot setting.
View attachment 149798
what I had done was I had bought the harley 7 inch adapter plate and then shaved it down to fit the housing and man i sure like it alot better for lighting but its not the prettiest set up for sure

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts