Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm from upstate NY and a total noob to this forum and bike. Personally I ride a '13 Triumph Bonneville,

BUT.....

In the next week or so my 5'2", 105 lbs. better half hopes to get a Suzuki C50T. I dig this bike!

There are 2 used ones that the sales guy is pretty sure the hold will be released on....the guy has not responded to his calls.

1) A 2009 C50T with approx 3800 miles and cobra pipes. Test rode it, looks pretty well taken care of. Red tag down to $5200.00.

2) A 2011 C50T with about 3800 miles also but stock pipes. Didn't see this bike. $5900.00.

3) a new 2014 C50T right now for $8200-ish. With only 2000.00 trade-in this seems like a pretty chuck o' change to put out....gulp.

I tried to figure out by searching here which aftermarket cobra exhaust to put on the 2011 since it's newer, but couldn't confirm which if any? Something change at '09?

Any thoughts or quirks or issues that would make me shy away from used?

I'm not too scared of modding this bike if it's manageable. I've changed my Triumphs exhaust, lowered it on both ends an inch, removed my AI and O2 sensors and remapped it with an aftermarket tune program. Not sure if these bikes need ANY thing or if the ECU is "locked". Just looked at the bikes yesterday afternoon!

I thank you in advance for answering my possibly stupid questions and that this is super long. ;)

Leslie

·
Registered
382 Posts
Welcome, Leslie!

Others know better than I do, but I think there have been no significant changes to the C50's since 2009. In other words, the 2009 - 2014 models are essentially the same and use the same aftermarket parts.

I think either of those two used bikes would be just fine - 3800 miles is low miles. Just pick the one that seems like it received better maintenance, or the one with the pipes (if that's what you prefer). If it was me, I would choose the newer one with the stock pipes and try to bargain the price down a little, assuming there are no red flags on its condition. But that's mainly because I prefer to not have a loud bike. If you like those aftermarket pipes, then the $700 lower price is a bonus. As I said, I believe the 2009 and 2011 are essentially identical otherwise.

FWIW, I was able to find a new, in-stock, "non-current" 2012 C50T Classic (no windshield, bags or backrest) at my local dealer for about $5700. It was a new bike, so I got the one-year warranty. They also had a new 2012 C50T (with windshield, bags and backrest) for about $6800. They were able to cut the prices because Suzuki gave them big dealer incentives to get rid of their aging new but non-current stock. I suggest you locate some more Suzuki dealers and see if you can score one of these deals. You are in a completely different part of the country than I am, but around here I was able to locate 3 different Suzuki dealers within 150 miles who had these deals on non-current inventory.

As far as modding C50s, it's kind of a low-gain situation. New pipes will make it sound different but won't significantly change the power. A lower-restriction air cleaner will get you a little more power, but you will also need a black box (power module, whatever you call it) to modify the air/fuel curves to keep it running correctly and to keep it from backfiring. The power gains to be had from these mods are relatively modest - just a few hp on an engine that only puts out 50 hp or so anyway.

The most popular performance mod seems to be the so-called DJ drive. The parts cost around $500 (used) and you end up replacing your rear drive with a modified one from a different Suzuki (either a C90 or a 1400) that will lower your final drive ratio by about 14%. This mod obviously doesn't give you any more power, and it will make the bike a little harder to launch from a standing start (but not much), but it will keep you in 1st gear longer so you don't have to upshift halfway through corners and it will lower your engine rpm by 14% at any given speed, making it a little more comfortable, less buzzy, etc. if you spend a lot of time on the freeways at 70 mph+.

·
Registered
48 Posts
And another welcome, Leslie!

Ditto on scottbass' recommendation to look for an new old stock bike nearby. I bought a new 2012 C50T Classic (there seems to be a pattern here) at my local dealer for $5300 about 6 weeks ago. The deals are there if you look for them.

Reactions: Mtlgrlie

·
Super Moderator
34,498 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

The 2009 C50T has a blue book retail of $4,915, and the 2011 C50T has a blue book retail of $5,740. Technically aftermarket mods don't add anything to the value of the bike, BUT if you like the Cobra pipes and intend on getting them anyway it's going to cost you about $1,500 for them and a fuel processor. Taking that frame of mind, it's only costing you $300 over purchasing the same bike stock at retail and saving you about $1,200 on the pipes and processor.

If you like the pipes, I'd recommend buying the 2009, but see if you can talk them down below $5k for it.

Also, make sure your better half sits on the bike and kicks it off the stand before purchasing. With a frame that small it's possible it could feel too big.

Good luck, and post pics when you make the choice.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Those prices are too high. Look for new older stock as others suggested. KBB on a 2012 C50T classic is tops at $5300. These bikes don't have a high resale price, a new old stock bike will get you a better interest rate too. If she's ridden your Bonnie, she isn't going to be happy with the C50, weight is heavier and is a dog next to the Bonneville. Has she looked at the Honda NC700x? A little futuristic but better mpg, she'll ride better, and it will definitely be more fun to ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your honest and valued opinions! Especially since I know zippo about this bike.
It's exactly what I needed to hear...
I will continue to look around for a better deal and only will go with the used or high-priced new if my other half says it's what she wants NOW.
She loves everything about my bike except the riding position and height. Which kinda means everything about my bike. ;) yes, for a 864 it is fast and zippy to me, but she wants something with a lower center of gravity and more forward controls. She really liked the feel of the 2009, but I'm gonna make her ride a new one too to see if it was just THAT bike she was comfy with. You never know.

Today she test drove a new black 2014 HD Superlow 1200T which was great except for $11,000 bucks and her legs were numb from the vibration on an 8 mile test drive! It is a beautiful bike though.....and she had to try it. No stone unturned.

I'll report soon what new( -ish) bike is in my garage! I think it's an 800cc.

Thanks to you all....hope to soon be a member of another great forum.

Leslie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, before she tried the C50T, she tried the Bolt.....hated it.

Then he brought out the CTX700 and she liked it better but was bored to tears by it's looks and sound. ;)

The last was the C50T and she really really liked it. She isn't convinced it has to have the windshield or bags off the bat (so she thinks the BOSS may fit her too?). No clue, but it's worth a try also.

She has a Honda Rebel now and I think is shying away from the Shadow? But as with everything if they have one at the next shop we look at I'll say do it anyway!

I looked everywhere last night at prices in a 300 mile radius. The ads that looked great were no longer on the dealers actual sites. :/
Most of the actual dealer sites had the used C50T's priced way above my local dealer! Same approx $ but triple or quadruple the mileage. Woah.

I'll keep searching....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
There is no difference between the 2009 and up.
They ride feel and look the same except the color. Different years different colors.
The difference between the 2005 to 2009 is that they changed the look of the rear fender to incorporate the LED tail light. That is it. Just some cosmetic change.
I have had a 2006 and put 38,000 miles on it and purchased a 2009 and currently have 22,000 miles on it. Would I purchase this bike again. Yes in a heart beat.
These are great bikes. They can be lowered with relative ease. Tons of information on this site. Mods are only as expensive and detailed as you want them. I have never had the DJ drive. It is great if you do a lot of highway high speed miles.
One thing you will want to purchase right out of hat is a Mustang seat with the back rest.
I went the route of the OEM gel and then to the Mustang with out the back rest and then to the one with the back rest.
Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we're going to look at both of the bikes again tomorrow! Yeah!

Now I'll get to really loooooook at the '09 and see the '11 for the first time.

--They were both on hold when we tested the 09 and I knew if I looked too close or loved it too much the guy would pick them both up the next day-- :/

Great advise on all of this everyone. I probably won't be doing anything crazy mod wise. My triumph had a need for retuning for aftermarket pipes and AI removal and 02 sensor removal helped with a snatchy low end throttle and hot headers. I did none of it for power, just pipe sound and ease of low speed driving. ;)

I doubt I'll need anything but goodies like a new seat....which makes me ask if there is a reduced reach seat out there? Summergirl, is the seat you speak of for shorties??

I'm super excited to go now! Woohoo! I'll share my pain or glory soon.

I love forums with other people who love forums. ;)

Leslie

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Most say the Mustang seat pushes you forward a little.
Most, including me, love the Mustang for its comfort!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
A motorcycle is a very personal thing and you will be happiest with the one she likes best. The color of the bike is often the most important but sometimes ignored detail. With a rider never really happy with their second or third choice of color.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well....the 2009 it is! After she rode them, I went over both with a fine-tooth comb. The 09 was owned by a woman, had cobra pipes and a fuel management system (they didn't know that), it was spotless and hadn't even been detailed yet.
The 2011 had major pitting on front and rear rims and the start of corrosion everywhere. It felt like it was driven in the salty wet a lot. The seat had a small rip and a few rivets missing. They would trade seats, so no big deal. It also didn't start up immediately....all of that said the person didn't really love it as much. ;)

The first thing she wanted after arriving home was to please remove the windshield so I did....she had a HUGE smile after taking it for a ride. She adores it. Today I will be putting on the tender pigtail for her new Bully. Yep, not original, but smile enducing.
So I now have a new forum to love!!

Leslie

I hope the picture works!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe this worked. ;)

Pipes are cooling now.... Then a pigtail. And remove that gas tank sticker?

And I think my search for an adjustable clutch lever may be a bust. I guess I assumed most bikes were easy to find.....plenty of time.

I have much to research on here.

Off to the garage after I finish my beer!

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone.

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.