Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You wouldn`t think drivin a Bigrig would have much in common with a Bike, Besides bein bigger its a lot alike. Dealing with cars that don`t know how to merge, talkin on the phone and texting without a clue whats around them. I know cars don`t see bikes but how on gods earth can they not see a 73 foot semi ? I would much rather be surrounded by a hundred bikers than 4 cars, I`d feel safer !

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Copied this off FB!

NONE OF THE MOTORCYCLES IN THIS PICTURE CAN BE SEEN IN THE TRUCKER'S MIRROR'S OR OTHER BLIND SPOTS. Take a moment and "SHARE this on your Facebook Page. IT COULD SAVE THE LIFE OF A SOMEONE YOU LOVE.
Riding season is upon us. I have posted this before and will post again. When riding on highways, try not to "hang" around tractor trailers or any large trucks. Not only do they have a hard time seeing you, but there are other hazards associated with being near trucks, especially flatbeds and dump trucks which spew stones and pebbles behind them. Be Aware, Ride Safe and to everyone.. Look Twice, Save a Life!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Actually, I drive rigs on my vacation from my IT job. I go coast to coast for two weeks to a month. I get vacation pay and good money from driving. A friend owns a 2001 KW W900L and a 48' reefer. Three days driving and you can make about $12k. On top of that I get to see the southwest! AZ, NM, and west TX are gorgeous! CA is too, but I believe it is a communist country at this point...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Actually, I drive rigs on my vacation from my IT job. I go coast to coast for two weeks to a month. I get vacation pay and good money from driving. A friend owns a 2001 KW W900L and a 48' reefer. Three days driving and you can make about $12k. On top of that I get to see the southwest! AZ, NM, and west TX are gorgeous! CA is too, but I believe it is a communist country at this point...
Isn't that part of the problem, truckers often get the money greed :moneyeyes: driving too long and too hard. One little (BIG) mistake with a really BIG rig can adversely effect a lot of lives.

Although, I suspect Log Books help to reduce the problem of driving too long.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
And cagers aren't the only ones who text and talk on the phone while driving.

The last trip I took I was behind a semi who was weaving using his lane the passing lane and the right hand emergency/parking shoulder. This went on for miles so I finally said too the wife I had too pass him.

When I was finally able to pass him with my motor home using the shoulder on the left I thought he might be stroking out or drunk. But, the wife said he was on the cell phone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah, there are bad truck drivers also. Plenty of them. They give the rest of us a bad rep which is not deserved. Still, I have seen what you speak of myself, and have even had some younger punks act all high and mighty when I have been in the truck I drive. Stupid!

Now there are some inaccuracies in your posts. How do you make $12k in a few days? You buy a million dollars of equipment to begin, insure it for a few million, and work your entire life to get the right load brokers and routes. Company drivers (Swift, Covenant, Hunt, etc) make less than I do on average. How do I know? I have been on both sides of the fence. Company driving SUCKS, while owning your own equipment can pay well, but everything is on YOU to keep your stuff up and make deadlines, etc.

As for log-books, they're a joke. Some pencil-pusher in Washington DC gets tired after ten hours so he says you can only drive ten hours. I for one can go for double that before I feel tired. Why? I am young, healthy, and I eat properly. Any driver worth a nickel can fake a log with little to no effort. I have driven well over ten hours on most of my trips and when I feel the slightest bit tired, I pull off and sleep. I do not want to harm anybody, especially a child, or myself. The few stories you hear about a tired driver are the idiots who drive, get tired, and keep saying "just a few more miles" until they wreck. Again, it all comes down to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. No two men are alike.

By the way, where have you been hiding? I have not seen you on here lately.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Yeah, there are bad truck drivers also. Plenty of them. They give the rest of us a bad rep which is not deserved. Still, I have seen what you speak of myself, and have even had some younger punks act all high and mighty when I have been in the truck I drive. Stupid!
^^^ Another simularity.

I agree truck drivers are much more aware than your aveage cage driver. The only things I don't like about trucks is their ability to push the wind all over the place and their way of splashing water in the rain.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Truckers are generally the best drivers on the road. I lost the right steering tire on my motor home and the Trooper said I could spend the night just off the shoulder of 101 a wide spot in the California Redwoods, farther off the road was a creek with a 70 foot drop off, as it was Sunday and the Tire Stores were closed until Monday.

All night long trucks and cars passed me the trucks always saw my triangles and pulled over into the passing lane giving me room and hardly bothering my rig. The Cars kept to their right lane all going over the speed limit as they kept shaking the Motor Home by passing us very close to the edge of the road. In the morning as we were beside the rig taking morning coffee one of the cars hit a Triangle and broke it into little pieces never did slow down.

This was my second sidewall blow out on the trip. Lesson learned the tire thread was still very deep but time had done it's damage and I had to replace all 6 truck tires cost a little over $2,000.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I know of several neighbors who fell asleep at the wheel while driving home and were killed. :cry: Falling asleep at the wheel isn't that unusual it happens all the time but doesn't regularly result in a fatality. With most drivers it generally happens at night but with a trucker pushing the envelope it can happen in daylight.

I myself went to a semi-Pro ball game that lasted 18 innings. I was driving home a trip of about 40 miles, three miles from home I smartly pulled over at a wide spot in the road to catch a few winks. The next thing A cop was tapping on the drivers window, he had been following me and was about to pull me over as I was going over the fog line. I told my story and when he was done checking me out he let me off with a warning said I had done the smart thing.

When I got back in my car I was so scared I was wide awake, I could see a jack rabbit a mile down the road in the dark. When I got home I told the wife the story and it took a 1/2 hour before I could go to sleep.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Driver Alarm - Stay Awake Device only $8.
Driver Alarm for Sleepy Drivers - Stay Awake!
If the alarm goes off pull over at the next rest stop and catch some lifesaving doze time.

Maybe those drivers who don't see big semi trucks or little motorcycles are really driving half asleep. "After 24 hours of being awake, a person actually had the same impairment as someone who's...legally drunk" :boozin::boozin::boozin:

Waking Up To Drowsy-Driving Danger - CBS News

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Now there are some inaccuracies in your posts. How do you make $12k in a few days? You buy a million dollars of equipment to begin, insure it for a few million, and work your entire life to get the right load brokers and routes. Company drivers (Swift, Covenant, Hunt, etc) make less than I do on average. How do I know? I have been on both sides of the fence. Company driving SUCKS, while owning your own equipment can pay well, but everything is on YOU to keep your stuff up and make deadlines, etc.

As for log-books, they're a joke. Some pencil-pusher in Washington DC gets tired after ten hours so he says you can only drive ten hours. I for one can go for double that before I feel tired. Why? I am young, healthy, and I eat properly. Any driver worth a nickel can fake a log with little to no effort. I have driven well over ten hours on most of my trips and when I feel the slightest bit tired, I pull off and sleep. I do not want to harm anybody, especially a child, or myself. The few stories you hear about a tired driver are the idiots who drive, get tired, and keep saying "just a few more miles" until they wreck. Again, it all comes down to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. No two men are alike.

That's bs that you would have to spend over a million to get a semi and trailer. Then you insure it for a few million, that doesn't work. Unless your insuring the load and have an umbrella policy over that, but I know you don't care for insurance, so that wouldn't happen.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
219 Posts
People in cars and pick-ups have no special training, are not reviewed for driving habits at all, and don't care about anybody else on the road. That is where the problems come from. Ever notice how you can be in a line of traffic, and nobody is behind you for miles. Some flippin' retard comes up and has to cut in front of you instead of falling behind you? Saves no time, risks a collision, and only pisses people off. That is simply a lack of respect. Truck drivers are generally more considerate for many reasons, plus they've had training, and they get physicals and other such reviews regularly.

Oh and if a trucker has an accident, even if some retard is clearly at fault, he must immediately take a drug/alcohol test. Normally this is a blood test, though some areas do urine testing. Either way, it is more reason to stay off of things if you drive a CMV. Funny though, there are VERY few accidents yearly directly relating to sleep deprivation and CMVs, but if one happens, it makes news everywhere for ages. Like the guy in Illinois who slept 3.5hrs then tried to drive a truck and killed a guy and injured a trooper. This was in January this year. You STILL hear about this crap!

LoudPipe:
Yes, it is over a million. The nicer truck tractors are upwards of $250k, then you get chicken-lights on them, a 500-amp alternator, oversized turbo, etc etc, it all adds up. Sure, you can get a "deal-of-the-week" Freightliner for under $100k, but it is not in the same league as what I drive. On top of that you have a few trailers. Nice ones with chrome or stainless sides, like the ones I haul, are VERY expensive. After that there are the reefer units. Sure you can run some cheap unit, but they are not as reliable. Many of them actually have the temperature fluctuate up and down, which the tattle-tale gauges in the load tell the shipper and receiver. Due to this, you get a nice unit. My friend uses ThermoKing. Finally, there are additional lights and options for the trailer, both inside and out. His current setup was about $700k when all was said and done.

As for insurance, he is insured for over $2mil. That protects him, his cargo, any passenger, his equipment, and anybody he would happen to hurt in other vehicles or on the sidewalk. granted he has not had any accidents, but if he does, he is covered seven ways from Sunday! Sure, he could go cheaper, but the cargo he hauls demands a MINIMUM insurance of $1.2mil. The rest is for the things mentioned above. Believe it or not, your call. I just know what my friend has and how he operates because I operate for him once a year.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
And cagers aren't the only ones who text and talk on the phone while driving.

The last trip I took I was behind a semi who was weaving using his lane the passing lane and the right hand emergency/parking shoulder. This went on for miles so I finally said too the wife I had too pass him.

When I was finally able to pass him with my motor home using the shoulder on the left I thought he might be stroking out or drunk. But, the wife said he was on the cell phone.

I think all groups have their fair share of inattentive drivers. sadly for the motorcyclist, inattention= disaster! No matter who the inattentive party is: biker, cager, trucker....

·
Registered
401 Posts

Yeah, log books are a joke when you get pulled over by the DOT, but most modern over the road tractors have a computer that will rat out your every move. Get into an accident and the investigators get into it, you better not be over houred or over miled, because if you are, you're at fault because you aren't supposed to be there (the accident scene). Even if the other party caused the wreck. I know this because I've been making my living behind the wheel for decades. This isn't 1985, 95, or even 2005, times have changed and there's more coming.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Only company trucks have those computers and GPS tracking. Heck, I believe Werner's computers can even shut the truck down and prevent it from moving once the hours are reached. However, go to a KW dealer and order a new truck. No computers, no GPS, no BS. I imagine Peterbilt and the others are the same.

As for logs, it is a simple thing which you probably know. It deals with miles driven, speed, and of course that pesky 30min off-duty crap they recently added.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The government writes trucker safety requirements for the safety of the public.
Gov requirements of course are Not perfect because everything the gov does is often a compromise between conflicting parties.

It's Similar to the safety requirement for motorcyclist to wear glasses, goggles, or a windshield too protect the public from a wind bug blinded motorcyclist as much as to protect the motorcyclist. Without the gov rules I would expect more of those really tough guys would be riding without eye protection. Probably the eye protection rules only really come into play when the motorcyclist is involved in a serious accident. If the motorcyclist without eye protection kills a pedestrian or a small child because he was blinded by a bug in the eye the charges might escalate to vehicular manslaughter similar to DUI.

·
Registered
824 Posts
^not usually, im sure it depends on distance, broker, and what you're haulin'.

my dad drove a truck for years and years. he stopped driving coast-to-coast for a company back in the 80's, did other things with his life, and about 10 years ago went back to it for about 5 years. At that time, he drove his own truck+trailer.

he had a '95 freightliner, and mainly went NC>TX. I went with him a few times. Good loads would pay prolly 2 grand one way. After he lost that broker, he went with CH Robinson, who never paid as much.

I suppose someone with their own truck/trailer, and an ideal broker/load, could get 12k going coast to coast. I would not expect it to be the norm.. (this would be with paid loads both ways, of course..... there was a time or two dad came back to NC empty because he was tired of sitting around waiting on a load headed back this way).

12k sounds GREAT to me, but you gotta ask yourself how many 12k trips would it take to pay off that million dollar truck?

·
Registered
219 Posts
He makes a good living, and he lives on the road. Remember, that is 12k to the truck. Half immediately goes into an account for the truck for things like tires, lights, maintenance, etc. Still, he earns a good living. Plus the trips from NC going west do not pay as much and are a full trailer. I am not going to say what he hauls back east because I do not want to screw him over, but the 12k loads consist of six to twelve pallets of a specific piece of produce. It's almost like driving empty.

As for the government crap, stats prove that since they got involved, there are more wrecks. Think for one second and show me a single senator that has ever even been in a truck. Despite this, they know the industry better than those of us who make a living out of it! The government idiots are just retards who were bullied in school and want revenge.

Oh and show me any compromise, especially in the last six or eight years. Sure, the mass media claims compromise, but normally it is one side getting 95% and the other side getting 5%. Not much of a compromise to me.

Finally, nanny-states require eye protection. Many states do not. I am holding my motorcycle handbook and they recommend eye protection but do not require it. However, I do not want a big june-bug slamming into my eye at 65mph, so I wear protection! Normally shades, but I also have some old-school goggles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts